CARE International in Pakistan is addressing the underlying causes of poverty through application of Rights-Based Approaches (RBA), which promotes and advocates for gender equity and good governance. CARE works almost exclusively through partners, and under its new long range strategic plan (LRSP) developing and maintaining strong strategic relationships with local partners is critical to success. CAREs partnership approach is based on both civil society development and mutual collaboration towards common objectives.
The Partnership Coordinator (PC) will oversee the development, implementation and evolution of CAREs partnership strategy. The PC manages the partnership unit within the Program Development and Quality Department, and works closely with other members of the department in ensuring quality, effective and efficient programming that maximizes the sustainable impact of CAREs work in Pakistan. In addition to its strategic role and advisory responsibilities, the unit directly is responsible for sub-grant management and will have the authority to enforce compliance of key processes deemed by the Partnership Management Team (PMT) and Senior Management to be required to keep our partnerships strong, healthy and accountable.
Specifically, the Partnership Coordinator (PC) will:
1. Leads development of CARE Strategic Partnership approach, including building and strengthening CAREs network and relationship with partners to support delivery of the LRSP.
2. Lead and strengthen the sub-grant, management, monitoring and compliance with partners.
3. Build CAREs internal capacity to strengthen and mainstream strategic partnerships throughout its work, and to support the development of local civil society.
4. Develop and oversee technical support plans that respond to needs of partners, as well as reflect skills and capacities that support CAREs LRSP, programming principles and performance standards.Lead and oversee partner relationship management to ensure that principles and strategic frameworks are respected.
Responsibilities and Tasks Job Responsibility #1: Strategic Leadership of Partnership Approach
- Develop CIPs partnership strategy in consultation with CARE staff and current / potential partners.
- Work in close coordination with the PDQ advisers to ensure the partnership strategy and roll-out is harmonious with our gender, M&E and advocacy strategies.
- Participate in discussions on CARE Pakistans AOP and annual budget development, advising where they can be improved or made more inclusive of our partnership strategy.
- Monitor our progress as a partnership-oriented CO, paying particular attention to high-risk patterns such as slipping into default donor-sub contractor relationships when emergencies or fast turn-around funding opportunities arise.
- Develop a knowledge management system on CAREs partnerships.
- Convene the Partnership Management Team (PMT) for inputs to and approval of plans, new guidelines, etc.
- Support CLT to determine ways in which key positions and processes in the CO can be made more accountable to the COs partnering mandate.
% of time
Job Responsibility #2: Sub-Grants Management
- Oversee full sub-grant management, from IPIA review to agreeing M&E schedules and feedback on reports, to monitoring and compliance. Specifically this entails:
- Supervision of financial management of sub-grant
- Overseeing sub-grant selection and assessment
- Preparation of sub-grant proposals and agreements
- Manage staff to facilitate sub-grant management. The level of effort of this component is dependent on the scope and scale of CARE sub-grant agreements and the resources need to ensure compliance to the agreements, and level of direct sub-grant management at individual project levels
- With the support of Program and Program Support units, develop standard, high quality induction modules on CAREs systems and reporting requirements to be offered to partners when sub-grants or other agreements entailing financial accountability come into place.
- Facilitate external audits of the partnership and support investigations where necessary.
- Establishment of a feedback/complaints mechanism for partners who are concerned with some aspect of CAREs performance.
- Evaluate and strengthen contractual agreement formats, particularly regarding shared liability and other points of possible weakness.
% of time Job Responsibility #3: Technical support in project design & implementation
- Create a regular lessons-learned feedback process on partnerships, ensuring that lessons from past experiences are systematically captured and fed into the development of new partnerships and new initiatives.
- Facilitate the identification of potential partners for new initiatives using the partner vetting tools described in section 4 (below), and make contact with those groups if appropriate.
- Engage in proposal development as a regular member of the project design team. Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that partners are brought into the project design process equitably
- Providing technical support to those partners to be able to participate equitably (e.g. explaining complicated donor requirements)
- Ensuring that budgets and implementing plans are created respecting the needs, costs, and contributions of partners
% of time
Job Responsibility #4: Partner Relationship Management
- Establish and manage new partner identification and selection systems.
- Develop high quality Capacity, Risk and Opportunity assessment tools.
- Conduct organizational assessments, or facilitate others within CARE to do.
- Develop a list of approved partners as well as a blacklist, and keep them up-dated.
- Put together Strategic Partnership MOUs with selected partners.
- Actively seek out opportunities and funding to build the capacity of our local partners.
- Coordinate partner events occasionally throughout the year.
- Produce a yearly report on partnership activities and lessons, highlighting/promoting CAREs local partners.
- Create and update as needed a profile of CAREs work in Pakistan for presentation to current and potential partners (which may be different from a standard program portfolio overview).
% of time Job Responsibility #5: Building CAREs internal capacity
- Review and evaluate CAREs organizational capacity, program quality and impact from a partnering perspective.
- Lead Country Office learning about partnerships, developing if necessary a capacity building plan for the organization, and disseminating lessons and tools.
- Facilitate the emergence of a consistent CARE approach to understanding and managing partnerships across programs and program support units.
- Update the partnership manual as needed with a full revision completed within eighteen months of the establishment of the Unit.
% of time Job Responsibility #6
Perform other duties as assigned.
% of time