I. JOB SUMMARY:
CARE International in Pakistans primary impact group is marginalized women. Women are at the heart of CAREs efforts to improve basic education, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. The benefits of gender equity and women empowerment extend across all the components of development and poverty reduction. The Senior Gender Advisor fosters lasting change in the Country Office.
The Senior Gender Advisor is accountable for ensuring mainstreaming, developing systems and policies and capacity building and measuring impact in GEED (Gender & Ethnic Equity and Diversity) areas but achievements should come from programs. The positions objective is to ensure mainstreaming gender equity both at organizational and program level, and to lead on the development of specific gender governance and enabling environment for women initiatives to achieve long term sustainable impact in CAREs program and strategy.
The Senior Gender Advisor will lead initiatives to strengthen the quality and accountability of CAREs GEED work at organizational and program level, and proactively develop and support implementation of related strategies and plans. Leads in ensuring capacities, processes and procedures reflect a strong commitment to GEED and related impact throughout the CO. He/she will ensure that CARE is well informed and influential with respect to GEED issues, and is proactively and appropriately networked and engaged to promote improved gender governance and enabling environment for women in Pakistan. He/she will support efforts to ensure adequate resourcing and budgeting for GEED initiatives to fulfill related strategic and policy objectives.The incumbent will assist to develop a strategy of making womens as well as the mens concerns and experiences an integral dimensions of design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programme so that women and men benefit equally and inequality is not perpetuated. In addition, the Senior Gender Advisor will facilitate social/ethnic integration processes, including continuing efforts to clarify the interconnection of development work with gender equity and diversity.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Job Responsibility #1 - Development, implementation and evaluation of GEED strategy and policy
- Leads development and ensures implementation of GEED strategy and policy throughout the organization and program
- Ensures that the GEED perspective is adequately taken into consideration in the activities of program and program support functions
- Evaluate impact of GEED policy annually and update the policy accordingly
- Develop GEED monitoring framework and ensure regular monitoring at all levels
- Conduct regular GEED audits and follow-up appropriately
% of Time: 15%
Job Responsibility #2: Fundraising
- Supports development and implementation of a fundraising strategy that increases ability of CO to attract funding for gender programming and mainstreaming and helps coordinate fundraising efforts.
- Develop and maintain donor relations, and strengthens understanding of donor strategies and priorities in order to be able to match programmatic direction with the most likely sources of funding.
- Strengthen CO skills, capacity and process to ensure a high quality level of proposal development, report writing and adherence to technical rigorous and standards of contracts.
- Contribute to resource development for gender-related programming and support; this includes development, writing and/or review of proposals on gender-related programs, coordinating consultants and contributing to regional or global efforts as required
- Assist programme development team and ensure that project design in different areas focuses on the strategy of gender mainstreaming.
% of Time: 15%
Job Responsibility #3: GED mainstreaming at organizational level
- Lead in the planning, development and review of Country Office gender mainstreaming strategies.
- Identify a Gender Core Group with representation from all units and field offices, prepare ToRs and ensure regular meetings
- Ensure that CIPs policies and procedures are sensitive to and readjusted to address GED issues
- Ensure that GEED issue is integrated and internalized in the COs vision, mission and strategic planning for organizational activities
- Ensure that a defined mechanism for addressing GED related harassment complaints is in place
% of Time: 15%
Job Responsibility #4: GEED mainstreaming at program level
- Apply Gender Analysis tools to ensure GED mainstreaming throughout the project cycle
- Ensure that M&E indicators are gender sensitive.
- Strengthen gender budgeting across all program areas.
- Conduct periodic reviews, identify gaps and provide input to integrate GED in program.
- Support program documentation including measures of results and impact.
- Support key COs or programs in designing and implementing user-friendly documentation, measurement and learning systems.
- Support CO and global efforts in operationalizing and using common GED impact indicators, and designing and monitoring systems for locally appropriate gender measures of program progress.
% of Time: 15%
Job Responsibility #5: Gender governance programming/ Advocacy
- Review, analyze national policies relevant to the organizational goal and support policy discourse initiatives, including policy feedback.
- Develop and lead gender governance initiatives to maximize impact of CARE programming
- Develop the strategic relationships and networks to ensure CARE is proactively engaged and supporting improved gender governance in Pakistan.Develop and maintain coordination and linkage with other like-minded organization working for gender advancement.
- Support the development of advocacy campaigns that proactively strengthen the enabling environment for women to realize the social, economic and political rights and potential.
- Document, publish and disseminate best practices on various aspects of gender mainstreaming.
% of Time: 10%
Job Responsibility #6 Building CO and partners capacity in GED
- Ensure continuous capacity building of CO and partner staff in GED.To enhance technical capacity to mainstreaming gender, including staff/partners skills in gender analysis and support to develop gender tools and procedures.
- Work closely with different unit within CARE Pakistan and ensure all staff have common understanding on Gender Equity and diversity.
- Work closely with HR and other units/department and ensure all policies and procedures are derived from gender perspective.
- Contribute to build positive organizational culture, which involves a more gender diversity among staff at all level, and equal valuing of womens and mens perspectives and working styles and contribute to make co gender working environment within organization.
- Help partners to develop GED policies and operational guidelines.
- Strengthen capacity of gender focal persons from all units and field offices.
- Keep abreast of all latest developments in the field of GED and Gender Governance and disseminate the same across the CO.
- Enhance organizational learning on gender.
- Support CO staff in generating and utilizing information for learning and progressive quality improvement and impact.
- Define a gender learning agenda and coordinate learning among CAREs and partners staff network, through email, phone or in-person meetings, as budget permits.
- Enhance CARE and partner capacity for gender- transformative program strategies in multi- sectoral programs.
- Strengthen CAREs and partners capacities to plan, implement and evaluate programs with gender transformational strategies; provide technical assistance to COs and RMUs and PQI units.
- Identify and promote program initiatives that improve the social position and create a more enabling environment for women in Pakistan.
- Identify and promote program initiatives that contribute to prevention and response to Gender Based Violence.
% of Time: 10%
Job Responsibility #7: Liaison and Representation
- Liaise with national/international organizations and govt. institutions and represent CIP for experience sharing in respective technical area.
- Liaise with GED units of CAREUS and other relevant CARE country offices.
- Represent CARE externally and engage in regional and global gender networks.
- Facilitate CARE representation in regional networks promoting gender equality and women's empowerment.
- Support CARE staff to document and disseminate key learning from programs that promote gender equality in regional and international settings such as conferences, meetings, journals and other fora.
- Identify and develop local and regional strategic advocacy, research and other networking partnerships.
% of Time: 10%
Job Responsibility #8: Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Supports building capacity of CO and partners to adhere to GED in humanitarian quality and accountability standards, and respect humanitarian principles during emergency responses.
- Provides technical support during emergency responses ensuring that emergency responses respect GED programming and principles, and maintain high standards of quality and accountability.
% of Time: 8%
Job Responsibility #9:
- Perform other duties as assigned
% of Time: 2%
III. PROBLEM SOLVING (Thinking Environment)
The incumbent must use interpolative skills to pick and choose the right strategy to address a given problem and also has to deal with variable situations, which need analysis, problem definition and development of alternative solutions.
IV. QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
- At least Masters degree in Development related disciplines or equivalent, with a preference towards a Master Degree in Gender and Development.
C) TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- At least 10 years of work experience in gender focused development related areas, conversant with rural and urban gender issues in Pakistan.
- At least 7 years of work experience in gender research and analysis, strategy development, mainstreaming, and capacity building.
- At least 5 years experience in fundraising for, and development and implementation of gender programs.
- Experience in advocacy and developing and maintaining strategic partnerships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong research, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies;
- Excellent creative and conceptual skills
- Computer skills (word, Excel);
- Firm belief in gender equity and diversity
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills.
Respect, accountability, analytical ability, building partnership, stress tolerance, facilitating change, adaptability, networking, coaching, developing teams, initiating action, political acumen, interpersonal skills, communicating with impact, contributing to team success, information monitoring, innovation, planning and organizing.
- Technical knowledge and skills in gender equity and diversity
- Experience and skills in policy influencing
- Good coordination and communication skill
- Strategic program planning skill
- Proven skill in documentation and reporting
V. CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS
The incumbent is expected to collaborate with counterpart GOs, NGOs and Forums. She/he also works in close collaboration with the Director- Program, Director- Finance, HR, PDQ team members, Program Coordinators, Program Managers, Area Coordinators and all CARE Staff.
VI. WORKING CONDITIONS AND LEVEL OF TRAVEL REQUIRED. This position is located in Islamabad with field travel as and when required