Restaurant managers ensure that restaurants operate efficiently and profitably while maintaining their reputation and ethos. They must coordinate a variety of activities, whatever the size or type of the outlet. Managers are responsible for the business performance of their restaurant, as well as maintaining high standards of food, service, and health and safety.
Restaurant management combines strategic planning, shift pattern organization and day-to-day management activities. Depending on the nature of the outlet, the role may have creative aspects, particularly in marketing and business development.
As a key role within the hospitality industry, restaurant management may be fast-paced, highly demanding and very rewarding.Typical work activities
Work duties vary depending on the type of restaurant, but usually include:
- taking responsibility for the business performance of the restaurant
- Analyzing and planning restaurant sales levels and profitability
- Organizing marketing activities, such as promotional events and discount schemes
- Preparing reports at the end of the shift/week, including staff control, food control and sales
- Creating and executing plans for department sales, profit and staff development
- Setting budgets and/or agreeing them with senior management
- Planning and coordinating menus.
- Coordinating the entire operation of the restaurant during scheduled shifts
- Managing staff and providing them with feedback
- Responding to customer complaints
- Ensuring that all employees adhere to the companys uniform standards
- Meeting and greeting customers and organizing table reservations
- Advising customers on menu and wine choice
- Recruiting, training and motivating staff
- Organizing and supervising the shifts of kitchen, waiting and cleaning staff.
- Maintaining high standards of quality control, hygiene, and health and safety
- Checking stock levels and ordering supplies
- Preparing cash drawers and providing petty cash as required
- Helping in any area of the restaurant when circumstances dictate.