Place within the organization:
- Hierarchically accountable to the Expat Medical Doctor.
- Functionally accountable to Project Medical Doctor and Deputy/ MedCo
Main objective and responsibility of the position:
- To provide care to patients in MSF program
II General Presentation of MSF:
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent medical humanitarian association that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural or man-made disasters. MSF observes strict neutrality with respect to political issues and renders its assistance without making any discrimination on the basis of race, religion, ideology or political opinion. MSF has no ties or affiliation with any political, economic or religious body or organization, in order to act in accordance with humanitarian principles.
By signing this document the staff member agrees to adhere to the MSF Charter, its guiding principles and core values, to follow the protocols of MSF in all aspects, and carry out the following responsibilities to the best of his/her ability.
III. Description of responsibilities
- Follow MSF protocols and guidelines when providing services in maternity.
- Works with expat doctors, expat midwife and other staff to run the ANC and PNC focusing on obstetrical conditions
- Manage obstetrical & gynecological emergencies
- Conduct complicated deliveries (if not possible for the LHV, nurse, midwife)
- Performing instrumental deliveries (e.g.vacuum,forceps)
- Performing C/S as well as other surgical procedures like E&C,manual removal of placenta. If according to qualification laparatomies and hysterectomies in case of emergency.
- Providing pre- and postoperative management and care for patients in IPD. Doing ward rounds.
- Implementing proper setting up and hygiene in the OT
- Train MCH staff (OT techs, nurses,LHVs, midwifes) in assisting in surgical procedures
- Refer patients to other tertiary facilities when its no longer possible to mange case in maternity.
- Manage and teach management of complications in pregnancy and pathological pregnancies according to MSF protocols
- Support and advice nurses and LHV in the inpatient care, especially with regard to adequate use of drugs
- Providing training (in cooperation with expats) to our staff in labor room and the IPD theoretically and practically (suturing etc.).
- When necessary provide care for neonates (including resuscitation) and referral to nursery.
- Ensure universal precautions and proper waste disposal and management in the hospital.
- Coordinate and cooperate with MoH staff giving technical support and sometimes training to the lady doctors and midwifes.
- Participate in on-call roster, but being flexible and available for emergencies
- Participate in regular medical meetings
Reporting and ordering:
- To make accurate and timely reports, written and verbal, about the patients condition and activity of the program.
- Ensure the collection of correct data as required/requested for the program.
- Ensure the correct and timely ordering of required materials, including drugs/medication needed for the department, as required by the organization.
- Ensure accurate record keeping of patients and drug consumptions and patients records and reporting.
Specific Code due to context:
- Do not accept gifts or money from her patients or their family for care provided.
- Upholds good medical practice, updates knowledge regularly by reading and training.
- Uphold patient confidentiality at all time and respect patients as much as possible.
- Refrain from practicing out of MSF or doing other private practice while working with MSF. This also includes not prescribe medications outside these policies for local purchase from the bazaar.
- The doctor will respect the rights of the patients and caretakers in her care to be informed before any procedure or medication is given and the right to decline care or treatment, and the right to have a female family member for support.
- Uphold universal precautions at all times during your practice in the hospital.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIRED SKILLS
- Qualified medical doctor (M.B.B.S) with MCPS or DGO registered with PMDC
- Senior female medical (M.B.B.S) with residency experience in doing C sections/complicated delivery management can also apply
- Willing to take on responsibility for the management of a maternal ward
- Critical about her work and always willing to improve
- Willingness for improvement in skills through trainings
- Kind personality for a close teamwork with other national & international staff members
- Good communication skills experience preparing and presenting written reports and medical statistics
- Good command of English, Urdu
- Good computer skills.
- Commitment to humanitarian values as outlined in the MSF Charter