PURPOSE OF POST
The LHV is responsible for providing routine nursing care for neonates including first treatment after birth, assistance of neonatal resuscitation and routine care in the unit.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINES
She answers to: Nurse Supervisor of New Born Unit (NBU)
She collaborates with: Nursing Team, Female Medical Officers/ Medical officers, other departments.
MISSION AND PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES
Attendance and involvement at work:
· Observe the MSF charter.
· Maintain good relationship with other team members.
· Adhere to MSF Clinical Guidelines and protocols.
· Respect the time schedule and be punctual.
· Treat the patients with good quality care while respecting their privacy and culture.
· Perform all activities in line with the MSF protocols and procedures
· Be flexible and take responsibility
Application of basic hygiene rules
- She is responsible for maintaining hygiene within the New Born Unit (NBU).
- Application of MSF protocols for hand washing and use of gloves.
- Application of disinfection protocol invasive medical procedures.
- Waste management and change of safety box as needed.
- Observation of the general cleanliness of the NBU.
- Education about personal hygiene to mothers during hospitalization and at the time of discharge.
While performing her duty, the LHV:
- Monitors patients’ vital parameters, condition, intake and output, infusion therapy, etc. and records them in the file.
- Provides basic neonatal care.
- Professionally uses specific medical Equipment supervised by the neonatal nurse.
- Supports mothers in breastfeeding, kangaroo mother care, newborn care, etc.
- Organizes laundry order and storage.
- Monitors gastric tubes, nasal prongs or oxygen masks and IV-lines. Accompanies patients on transfers to other structures or for investigations.
- Ticks off and counter-signs treatments given to patients in their files.
- Organizes ordered investigations and files the results accordingly.
- Cleans and organizes the emergency trolleys and medical equipment as appropriate.
- Keeps record of activity during the shift and of any change in prescription for patients.
- Follows patients’ clinical status and notify the neonatal nurse in case of any change.
- Measures RBS after supervisor’s approval
- Inserts Nasal Gastric Tubes and gives NG feeds after supervisor’s approval
Extra skills/ tasks:
-Can pass IV lines and take IV blood samples under supervision of staff nurse after supervisor’s approval
-Prepares IV fluids and administers infusions under supervision of staff nurse after supervisor’s approval
- Observe a correct and appropriate use of medical equipment in the NBU.
- Ensure regular inventories of all medical stock (drugs and equipment)
- Follow maintenance of medical items with biomedical technician.
- Ensuring proper handover to incoming colleagues, drawing attention to any notable events during the shift
- Holding basic skills in neonatal resuscitation
- Participating in the nursing meeting for exchanging information on the state of the patients.
- Checking the medicines and material at every shift changeover.
- Participating in weekly inventory
- Sending material to be sterilised/recuperating it from sterilisation
- Sending and receiving the laundry
- Informing the Neonatal nurse supervisor or Head Nurse (in absence of supervisor) of the various needs and in event of medical error
- Participating in ongoing personnel trainings