Job Title: Community Outreach Worker (CMAM Project)
Reports to: District Nutritionists - Peshawar
Working with:, Health & Nutrition Promotion Teams with a focus on Outreach Nutrition education promotion, & Coordinate with Camp Based OPD/ OTP/SFP (Responsible for conduct of Nutrition Sessions, IYCF and BF promotion sessions in specific.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK Provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemini Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in Baluchistan, FATA and KPK, this has included acting as the procurement agent for Global Fund partners in Pakistan. Merlin is a major health player in Pakistan, working in close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders. Merlins main objective in Pakistan has been to improve the health status of the population most affected by natural disasters, diseases and conflict. Merlin is committed to longer-term programming in Pakistan and plans to continue to operate to meet the health needs of the Pakistani population.
In response to the July monsoon flooding disaster and subsequent health crisis, Merlin mobilized health and medical teams to lead a rapid emergency response to meet escalating health needs of flood-affected and displaced communities. Merlin has continued its regular programmes and extended coverage to communities affected by the flood; currently reaching approximately 2,000,000 people through the provision of essential health services, community management of malnutrition and communicable disease surveillance and management. Merlin is currently operating in Swat, Buner, Nowshera, and Charsadda districts in KPK province and Muzaffargarh in Punjab province. Merlins model of care is based on the provision of an integrated package of health and nutrition services via static and mobile outreach services (currently supporting a total of 38 static health facilities and 26 mobile clinics). Merlin also currently supports seven diarrheal treatment units across all operational districts. Merlin has expanded its malaria control operations to six flood affected districts in Baluchistan and KPK provinces. This has been done through the initiation of malaria case management, surveillance and outbreak response in disease endemic parts of the country in partnership with the provincial malaria directorate. Merlins malaria programs are therefore now reaching a total of 11 million people across 16 districts in KPK, Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Baluchistan. Merlin works closely with the Ministry of Health, Health and Nutrition Clusters and Department of Malaria Control, to ensure close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
Support the development and implementation of a sustainable Health & Nutrition promotion program in the targeted communities and Health facilities:
- Identify the areas of need for health & nutrition promotion and education within targeted communities though contact with community representatives and assessment of knowledge and practices amongst clinics attendants.
- Assist the Nutritionist and Health and Nutrition Promotion-Incharge (H&NPI) in defining strategies how to address the needs of Health & nutrition Promotion.
- Assist Nutritionist and H&NPI in arranging training for Health Promoters accordingly with the agreed curriculum.
- Arranging trainings for Health Promoters in Health & nutrition Promotion and Communication skills at the level of all supported facilities with a focus on IYCF and BF.
- Conduct trainings of community in health and hygiene promotion and the implementation of different techniques & activities in selected communities.
- Supervising Health Promoters and collecting reports from them.
- Assist the Nutritionist and H&NPI in preparing visual information materials e.g. posters, leaflets, flip charts.
- Participate and assist the Nutritionist and MOs in ensuring health & nutrition promotion session during the distribution of different kits for targeted community
- Liaise with community representative and members for health & nutrition work, if possible, encourage formation of community groups for health and nutrition promotion activities.
- Promote utilization of services available at nearby health facilities by monitoring and supporting the activities of the PHC Home visitors.
- Preparing written reports of activities on a regular basis and submit with Nutritionist and Base Incharge.
- Other tasks as designated by the Nutritionist and H&NPI.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Facilitate Periodic Screenings using MUAC; exit Interviews, client satisfaction surveys, etc.
- Monitor the activities of Health Promoters in their respective communities.
- Monitor health & Nutrition promotion activities provided by the medical and Para medical staff
- Graduate or Masters, preferably in a relevant subject.
- Experience working in health promotion in the community and IDP camps.
- Excellent management and personnel skills to enable the motivation, encouragement and participation of INGO home visitors.
- Strong organizational management skills and able to build good team spirit
- Ability to cope well under stressful conditions.
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with other stakeholders.
- Ability to travel to all IDP camps and to offer close supervisory support to the INGO home visitor.
- Excellent communication skills, with good spoken and written English.
- Good computer skills ability to write weekly and monthly report and data analysis
- Experience in health & Nutrition promotion training
- Previous experience within a humanitarian aid organization on CMAM.
- Experience working in a Muslim context preferable
- Experience working in IDP camps
- Community work experience