The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
POSITION: District Nutritionist
LINE MANAGER: Provincial Nutrition Coordinator
START DATE: As soon as possible
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK Provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemen Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in Baluchistan, FATA and KPK, this has included acting as the procurement agent for Global Fund partners in Pakistan. Merlin is a major health player in Pakistan, working in close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders. Merlins main objective in Pakistan has been to improve the health status of the population most affected by natural disasters, diseases and conflict. Merlin is committed to longer-term programming in Pakistan and plans to continue to operate to meet the health needs of the Pakistani population.
In response to the July monsoon flooding disaster and subsequent health crisis, Merlin mobilized health and medical teams to lead a rapid emergency response to meet escalating health needs of flood-affected and displaced communities. Merlin has continued its regular programmes and extended coverage to communities affected by the flood; currently reaching approximately 2,000,000 people through the provision of essential health services, community management of malnutrition and communicable disease surveillance and management. Merlin is currently operating in Swat, Buner, Nowshera, and Charsadda districts in KPK province and MuzafarGarh in Punjab province. Merlins model of care is based on the provision of an integrated package of health and nutrition services via static and mobile outreach services (currently supporting a total of 38 static health facilities and 26 mobile clinics). Merlin also currently supports seven diarrheal treatment units across all operational districts. Merlin has expanded its malaria control operations to six flood affected districts in Baluchistan and KPK provinces. This has been done through the initiation of malaria case management, surveillance and outbreak response in disease endemic parts of the country in partnership with the provincial malaria directorate. Merlins malaria programs are therefore now reaching a total of 11 million people across 16 districts in KPK, Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Baluchistan. Merlin works closely with the Ministry of Health, Health and Nutrition Clusters and Department of Malaria Control, to ensure close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders.
Merlin is also currently implementing emergency response activities in Sindh Province, in the South of Pakistan. The intervention is operational in two districts Dadu and Thatta, implementing an integrated health and nutrition response for flood affected populations. The provincial office is based in Hyderabad
- To assist District/Provincial Nutrition Coordinator in effective coordination of all Merlin Nutritional (CMAM) activities in the area of designation
- To share the workload with District/Provincial Nutrition coordinator to ensure timely implementation and monitoring of CMAM projects at desired sites.
- To represent Merlin at district level in the area of designation under supervision of the district/Provincial Nutrition coordinator.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the nutrition components in all areas of operation under the supervision and directions of District/Provincial nutrition coordinator/ nutritionist.
- Support the District/Provincial Nutrition coordinator to oversee the overall management of acute malnutrition and provide technical guidance and training to the health team as well as ensure protocols are being adhered to and the SFPs and OTPs are operating within quality indicators;
- Ensure that the field staff (LHVs, Health & Nutrition Promoters &Supervisors) Prepare and submit weekly and monthly Screening, SFP, OTP& SC reports in time with the MIS section. Analysis of the submitted reports before sharing with the District/Provincial Nutrition Coordinator and Country Nutrition Coordinator.
- In consultation with the district/provincial Nutrition coordinator, prepare and submit timely Supply Request for supplies (F75,F100, Plumpy nuts and other relevant items)with the district level concerned focal person in coordination with District and provincial Nutrition Coordinators for ensuring smooth implementation of CMAM activities
- Travelas required to areas of operation to supervise, build capacity and provide technical guidance to the Community level staffing (Health & Nutrition promoters and Social Mobilizers) and Facility based staffing (LHVs &Health Promoters) for the direct implementation of the nutrition interventions;
- Where needed, oversee the piloted community nutrition approach and in close collaboration with the District/Provincial Nutrition Coordinator & Country Nutrition Coordinator,Field Medical Staff implement strategies in line with the changing environment to ensure their effectiveness in improving child nutritional status;
- Improve the quality of the present activities through supervision of key staff,analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt, and review of best practice guidelines in consultation with the District & provincial Nutrition Coordinator.
- Coordinate with MoH representatives in absence of District/Provincial Nutrition Coordinator.
- Represent MERLIN in nutrition coordination meetings in absence of District/Provincial Nutrition Coordinator.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Qualified Medical Professional(M.B.B.S), or BSc Human/Clinical Nutrition
- Minimum1 years experience in Public Health and at least 6 months of experience of SFP/CMAM programmes;
- Strong interpersona skills and ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural experience;
- Basic Computing Skills: MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint), Web based email.
- Fluent spoken and written English, Pashto and Urdu
- Effective problem analysis and problem solving skills;
- Willingness to travel to underdeveloped/volatile areas of Country;
- Proven training and capacity building skills;Very enthusiastic and able to work extra hours to achieve the objectives of the programme.
- First-hand knowledge of the area
- Experience of donor/MOH liaison
- Where relevant, second language skills.