The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Position:Women Medical Officer
Working with:Merlin Staff
Location: Jalozai KPK
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK Provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemini Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in Baluchistan, FATA and KPK, this has included acting as the procurement agent for Global Fund partners in Pakistan. Merlin is a major health player in Pakistan, working in close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders. Merlin's main objective in Pakistan has been to improve the health status of the population most affected by natural disasters, diseases and conflict. Merlin is committed to longer-term programming in Pakistan and plans to continue to operate to meet the health needs of the Pakistani population.
In response to the July monsoon flooding disaster and subsequent health crisis, Merlin mobilized health and medical teams to lead a rapid emergency response to meet escalating health needs of flood-affected and displaced communities. Merlin has continued its regular programmes and extended coverage to communities affected by the flood; currently reaching approximately 2,000,000 people through the provision of essential health services, community management of malnutrition and communicable disease surveillance and management. Merlin is currently operating in Swat, Buner, Nowshera, and Charsadda districts in KPK province and Muzaffargarh in Punjab province. Merlin's model of care is based on the provision of an integrated package of health and nutrition services via static and mobile outreach services (currently supporting a total of 38 static health facilities and 26 mobile clinics). Merlin also currently supports seven diarrheal treatment units across all operational districts. Merlin has expanded its malaria control operations to six flood affected districts in Baluchistan and KPK provinces. This has been done through the initiation of malaria case management, surveillance and outbreak response in disease endemic parts of the country in partnership with the provincial malaria directorate. Merlin's malaria programs are therefore now reaching a total of 11 million people across 16 districts in KPK, Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Baluchistan. Merlin works closely with the Ministry of Health, Health and Nutrition Clusters and Department of Malaria Control, to ensure close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders
Role and Responsibilities of Women Medical Officer
To coordinate operational, medical and logistic activities in the field clinics, consistent with Merlin's protocols, guidelines and procedures, aiming to ensure that the field site team achieves the objectives.
- Coordination of all health activities within the clinic in close collaboration with other team members and MOH staff; curative, preventive,out-reach for vaccination and curative, health promotion, referral,planning and implementation of training activities.
- Conduct full oversight of project implementation and identify priorities
- Ensure that all protocols and guidelines are followed by team members, including the administrative procedures.
- Responsible for stocks control consistent with Merlin protocols and procedures.
- Participate in project planning and forecasting in close collaboration with logistic/Admin officer.
- Identify further population health needs and propose solution to concern persons
- To ensure the quality control of medical activities, and evaluate the possible professional hazards in the project site
- Strengthen the communication with targeted communities; ensure their informed involvement and participation.
- Ensure team participation in the decision-making process, and team cohesion and appropriate communication.
- Prepare drugs and medical material forecast.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Ensure regular communication with concern department/persons, and provide needed information when needed.
- Ensure the integration of MOH staff in a professional manner.
- The medical officer will conduct medical consultation, treatment and follow up of curative cases, and provide technical support for whole medical team.
- Ensure that the field clinic follows the approach of unity and uniform standardization across all site approach through regular coordination and meetings with others MOs.
- Facilitate the supervision visits of Buner Coordination team.
Manage the project staff, including recruitment, team building, and appraisals with close coordination of HR Buner department
Identify medical team's knowledge and skills gaps, inform the Medical Supervisor, and perform skills training, on the job coaching and daily guidance.
Participate on all the training planning and implementation organized by Buner coordination team.
In charge of the health status of Merlin personnel in the field staff and their evacuation when/if needed.
Coordination and representation with local authorities and community representatives.
- Any other tasks as assigned by PMC or management.