The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
POSITION: Human Resources Assistant
RESPONSIBLE TO: HR Officer
WORKING WITH: HR Officer, PC and Field Teams
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemyin Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Merlin also responded to the catastrophic floods in 2010 and 2011. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in is currently working in collaboration with the Pakistan Ministry of Health and the Global fund to implement the Governments control programme across 14 districts of the country.
Currently Merlin is operational in two Provinces (KPK and Sindh) and 7 districts implementing integrated health and nutrition programmes
Merlin has provided the emergency response in Sindh Province, in the South of Pakistan. The programme is implemented in three districts Badin, Dadu and Thatta providing integrated malaria, nutrition and health services to flood affected populations. The provincial office is based in Thatta.
Because of the emergency relief nature of Merlins work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions. However, staff members are not expected to routinely exceed the working hours specified in their contract of employment.
Objective of the Role
To provide Human Resource support to the Merlin Pakistan programme. To ensure that all HR matters are in line with Merlin procedures and staff records are always up to date with relevant information.
1) SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist HR Officer for placing advertisements for vacancies in the local media when requested by the Managers in conjunction with the FAM.
- Collate standard Merlin application forms and CVs for positions and present to the line manager who has placed the recruitment request.
- Assist in the short listing and interviewing process as required
- Assist in arranging interviews for the coordination team and field sites as requested.
- Be responsible for ensuring references are sought for all members of staff at time of acceptance of position.
- Oversee all of the national staff employment files within the Merlin programme.
- In coordination with the HR Officer, field sites and offices, ensure that each file has all of the appropriate documentation as per Merlin standard. This includes the recording of leave entitlements taken.
- Ensure implications of Merlins procedure are understood by respective program managers.
- Work closely with Field PCs and provide supervision and support as required
- Assist to oversee the tracking of all leave records of national and international staff
Contracts of Employment
- Brief in-coming national staff on Merlin Pakistan and issue with any kit needed for their job
- Assist HR Officer in briefing expats staff on HR issues and ensure that all relevant documents are obtained on arrival
- Be responsible for ensuring that each national member of staff within the Merlin Pakistan programme has a valid signed contract of employment and code of conduct.
- Monitor contract start and end dates of all national staff of Merlin Pakistan
- Assist HR Officer in providing monthly reports to the field sites and CMT of staff leave entitlements
- Oversee that all staff have up to date Merlin ID cards
- Ensure that the National Staff Regulation are kept up to date with the Pakistan Labour and Tax laws and regulations
- Assist HR Officer in collecting information for the monthly payroll for staff and that is it correct and that any unpaid leave is taken in to account.
- To coordinate monthly time-sheets for all staff within the respective field site and ensuring that a filing system is set up which coordinates with the payroll data.
- Do other necessary duties given by the HR Officer
- Follow the standard, procedure and guidelines given by Merlin in accomplishing all tasks given.
- MBA (HRM), MSc HRM with Minimum of 1 to 2 years experience of working in an HR position.
- Previous similar work experience in Govt. or Private organizations will be preferred
- Sound proven knowledge of the Labor Law of Pakistan
- Excellent written and spoken English
- High level of computer skills including mail merge and database management
- Ability to complete tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
- Previous experience of NGO work is desirable