The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Position: Logistics Assistant (warehouse)
Responsible to: Senior Logistic Officer
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemyin Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Merlin also responded to the catastrophic floods in 2010 and 2011. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in is currently working in collaboration with the Pakistan Ministry of Health and the Global fund to implement the Governments control programme across 14 districts of the country.
Currently Merlin is operational in two Provinces (KPK and Sindh) and 7 districts implementing integrated health and nutrition programmes
Merlin has provided the emergency response in Sindh Province, in the South of Pakistan. The programme is implemented in three districts Badin, Dadu and Thatta providing integrated malaria, nutrition and health services to flood affected populations. The provincial office is based in Thatta.
To receive, protect and secure all supplies brought in to the warehouse and store rooms under his/her control. To ensure proper documentation is attached on goods and filed. Supply materials as requested by authorized signatories and with the proper supply request and relevant waybills and gate passes issued
SPECIFIC TASKS & DUTIES:
- To receive Supply Request Forms from Pharmacist duly authorized by PC/PMC and arrange dispatch supplies accordingly.
- To keep record of all authorized supply requests.
- To be responsible for all supplies in the warehouses and stores assigned, making sure that the warehouse is secured at all times and that access to the warehouse is limited to only authorized personnel.
- To be responsible for any shortages or discrepancies in the stock records, and is responsible for the maintenance of all the stock records and/or computer inventory lists; and to make periodic inventory checks, (including physical counting on a monthly basis), and report on any faultfinding.
- To report on and, in consultation with others, take appropriate action for the disposal of spoilt commodities
- To be responsible for recording and balancing of stock records and BIN cards upon arrival and dispatch of stocks with Waybills Numbers and signing for received cargo
- To dispatch goods those have been authorized for dispatch with the proper documents signed, and distribute stock in accordance with the Logistics records.
- To have stock packed in advance of departure and waybill them for their final destinations and to ensure delivery of goods on request against official and approved documentation.
- To receive and properly store all non-medical items/Medical items including drugs and consumables and report on the quality, quantity of the received commodities.
- To effectively collect and/or receive purchased goods from vendors and store in the warehouse after Logistics Officer/Medical coordinator have approved.
- To be responsible for following good warehousing practices to ensure that the warehouse is kept in unique order, clean, dry, well ventilated and pest-free at all times.
- To be able to organize casual workers when required at the warehouse, and to provide overall supervision and training of other storekeepers and casual labour, and ensure that staff assigned to the various stores, keep records of the items offloaded/loaded at the warehouses
- To Assist and coordinate the off-loading of goods on vehicle from or to the warehouse and stacking of the supplies, follow-up tracking of the commodities in pipeline and report the same to the appropriate personnel.
- To produce monthly stock reports to (Logistics Officer)/Pharmacist of all movements of stock in and out of the store using the appropriate form.
- To be responsible for keys to the store during working hours within the store. A spare set of keys shall be kept in a secure place within the office and shall only be used in the event of an emergency in the absence of the storekeeper. At the end of each working day the WH Assistant must leave the keys in his/her possession to the Logistics Officer and/or Pharmacist in his/her absence.
- Assist in the set up a new store and train a new storekeeper/WH Assistant for the new store if the need arises.
- T o assist the Logistics Officer in updating the general assets information.
- To ensure the maintenance of temperature record for the medical commodities as per standard guidelines.
- To ensure the pest control measures for saving of the Merlins Assets (like Termites, Mouse etc.)
- Responsible for duty rosters of guards and drivers.
- Any other duty assign by supervisor/line manager
- Assist Senior Logs Officer in inputting into the daily, weekly and monthly sit reports and helping to ensure these are sent to the project team in a timely fashion.
- Assist Senior Logs Officer in Fleet management
- To provide other support when require.
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- At least graduate.
- Diploma/Certificate in computer science.
- Strong medical background and knowledge about drugs management.
- Reading and writing reports in English, can speak English.
- Good organizational skills
- Experience in administration and related issues
- Computer skills; including Window programs Excel, Word, Outlook Express, etc
- Ability to assist on the management of security in an extremely volatile security situation in good relations with team mates
- Previous experience in similar position
- Strong administration and organizational ability.
- Ability to remain calm and to be diplomatic at all times.
- Excellent communication skills, with good spoken and written English and Urdu or Sindhi
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local authorities.
- Good team player. Able to live as part of a team and work in remote and isolated area, in basic living conditions.
- Able to read and interpret a manual
- Good computer skills including Email, Excel and Word
- Previous logistical experience.
- Able to use own initiative and enable creative solutions.
- Willingness to work and live in harsh conditions.
- A person must know about the medicine
- Warehouse management
- 2 years relevant experience