The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Position: Logistics Officer
Responsible to: Project Coordinator
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemyin Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Merlin also responded to the catastrophic floods in 2010 and 2011. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in is currently working in collaboration with the Pakistan Ministry of Health and the Global fund to implement the Governments control programme across 14 districts of the country.
Currently Merlin is operational in two Provinces (KPK and Sindh) and 7 districts and implementing integrated health and nutrition programmes
Merlin has provided the emergency response in Sindh Province, in the South of Pakistan. The programme is implemented in three districts Badin, Dadu and Thatta providing integrated nutrition and health services to flood affected populations. The provincial office is based in Thatta.
1 OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the administrative supervision of the Project Co-coordinator, Dadu and technical supervision of Senior Logistics Officer, Sindh the incumbent is responsible for ensuring efficient and effective functioning of the Logistics Department. The incumbent will assist programs in all logistical support and coordinate with other operations sections for smooth functioning of Merlin Program in Dadu Sindh.
2 SPECIFIC TASKS & DUTIES:
- To effectively oversee the logistic activities of the office in Dadu.
- To prepare the monthly reports this includes AOS, Vehicle Fleet Report,Generator Report, Fuel Report, Stock Movement Report, Asset Report, and Inventory Report. All reports have to be prepared accurately.
- To prepare procurement paperwork for purchases made locally.
- To ensure that all procurement procedures are adhered to inline with Merlin Pakistan policy and ensure the documents are complete as per compliance requirement.
- To ensure that all warehouse procedures are adhered to inline with Merlin Pakistan policy and compliance requirement.
- Respond queries of internal/external audit and submit provide documents when required for this purpose.
- To supervise and co-ordinate all fleet movement and to oversee movement of vehicles with either region.
- To liaise with regional office in Thatta in terms of fleet, fleet standards and any vehicle defects that may occur.
- To administer the security procedures and ensure that everyone is aware of security protocols.
- To ensure that the inventory and assets are fully up to date and that there are no discrepancies in either assets or inventory.
- To be responsible for fueling of vehicles at office and to ensure that there is no malpractice. To complete the fueling monthly report.
- The incumbent will be responsible for managing duty roasters for security guard, drivers.
- To perform as coach to manage subordinates performance and will be responsible for doing appraisals of guards, drivers and warehouse assistant and other teams in the department.
- To perform other duties as required.
3 REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION
3.1 Experience, Qualification and competencies:
- BBA /B.Com Masters in Management sciences will be given preference.
- Minimum 2 years experience in Logistics, procurement, warehouse with Masters Degree and 3 Years with Bachelor degree
- Strong administration and organizational ability.
- Excellent communication skills, with good spoken and written English, Urdu and Sindhi
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local authorities.
- Good team player. Able to live as part of a team and work in remote and isolated area, in basic living conditions.
- Able to read and interpret a manual
- Good computer skills including excel and word
- Experience of working in remote area for any INGO in logistics department.
- Able to use own initiative and find solutions to issues and challenges within job responsibilities.
· Previous experience within a humanitarian aid organization in an insecure environment.
· Problem solving ability with equipment ranging from PCs to vehicles and radios.
· Previous responsibility for managing security.
· Ability to chair meetings and provide succinct reports of meetings would be beneficial.
· Technical background (not essential)