The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Position: Project Officer
Program:Malaria Control Program
Line Manager:Project Coordinator
Technical Line Manager:Coordinator M&E
Duration:One year with possibility of extension
Merlin International Profile
Merlin is the only UK health specialist charity, founded in 1993, which responds worldwide, with vital healthcare and medical relief for vulnerable people affected by natural disasters, conflict and healthcare collapse. Each year, Merlin assists more than 15 million people, in up to 20 countries, through working with local healthcare actors including government, community groups and NGOs.
Merlin is implementing Malaria Control program through strengthening the capacities of existing healthcare delivery systems in selected highly endemic districts of NWFP and Baluchistan provinces with financial assistance from The Global Fund for fight against HIV AIDs, TB and Malaria. The program is implemented in close collaboration with local ministry of health and federal and provincial directorate of malaria control. A core team of technical and non technical workers is being recruited to provide the required support for quality and timely implementation of the project.
The Project officer will work in close coordination and cooperation with the Coordinator M&E, vector control officer and district malaria focal person to ensure coherence of approaches, donor compliance, proper coordination with all stakeholders, program implementation and share the lesson learned to facilitate communities acceptance. With overall technical guidance from Project Coordinator and technical Adviser, the position holder will conduct need assessments, strengthen malaria diagnostic,quality assurance, IRS and LLIN distribution services at district, levels, collect, compile and tabulate program data and provide technical support of partners at all levels.
Program development and Capacity Building
- Develop and field test data collection and need assessment tools and formats.
- In Collaboration with Provincial POs, conduct need assessments and surveys
- Identify gaps in malaria case management in existing health care delivery systems in selected districts of NWFP,Baluchistan and FATA.
- Assist POs in training curriculum and guidelines development
- Arrange district and province base training workshops.
- Establish and maintain data management units at district levels
- Identify malaria diagnostic centers which need up gradation
- Provide technical and logistical support to make the non functional malaria diagnostic and curative centers fully operational
- Upgrade district based quality assurance centers, organization regular cross checking of slides examined in field,computerize results and establish mechanisms where by timely feed back to field workers on their performance is provided.
- Collect and computerize program data
- Carry out regular field visits to support and monitor project implementation in all target districts.
- Maintain close liaison with district counterparts on all technical and operational aspects of the program.
- Provide regular feed back on project activities to Provincial Project Officers on regular basis
- Assist M&E Coordinator in data analysis and preparation of monthly and quarterly reports.
- Ensure maintenance of stock and regular supply of ACTs,RDTs and laboratory chemicals and reagents to health centers on regular basis so that there are no stock outs.
- Regularly organize malaria coordination meetings at districts levels, share meeting minutes with PC and act on action points raised in the meetings.
- University in Management or Social Sciences
- Minimum 10 years experience in district level coordination and implementation of community based projects
- Excellent communication and representation skills
- Excellent report writing writing skills
- Proactive and able to work independently as part of a team
- Cross-cultural communication skills
- Highly organized and able to follow up on tasks
- Knowledge of Merlin procedure and practices
- Understanding of donor compliance