The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Job title: Reproductive Health Coordinator
Responsible to: Project Medical Coordinator/ National RH Coordinator.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK Provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemen Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in Baluchistan, FATA and KPK, this has included acting as the procurement agent for Global Fund partners in Pakistan. Merlin is a major health player in Pakistan, working in close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders. Merlins main objective in Pakistan has been to improve the health status of the population most affected by natural disasters, diseases and conflict. Merlin is committed to longer-term programming in Pakistan and plans to continue to operate to meet the health needs of the Pakistani population.
In response to the July monsoon flooding disaster and subsequent health crisis, Merlin mobilized health and medical teams to lead a rapid emergency response to meet escalating health needs of flood-affected and displaced communities. Merlin has continued its regular programmes and extended coverage to communities affected by the flood; currently reaching approximately 2,000,000 people through the provision of essential health services, community management of malnutrition and communicable disease surveillance and management. Merlin is currently operating in Swat, Buner, Nowshera, and Charsadda districts in KPK province and MuzafarGarh in Punjab province. Merlins model of care is based on the provision of an integrated package of health and nutrition services via static and mobile outreach services (currently supporting a total of 38 static health facilities and 26 mobile clinics). Merlin also currently supports seven diarrheal treatment units across all operational districts. Merlin has expanded its malaria control operations to six flood affected districts in Baluchistan and KPK provinces. This has been done through the initiation of malaria case management, surveillance and outbreak response in disease endemic parts of the country in partnership with the provincial malaria directorate. Merlins malaria programs are therefore now reaching a total of 11 million people across 16 districts in KPK, Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Baluchistan. Merlin works closely with the Ministry of Health, Health and Nutrition Clusters and Department of Malaria Control, to ensure close coordination and collaboration with all involved stakeholders.
Merlin is also currently implementing emergency response activities in Sindh Province, in the South of Pakistan. The intervention is operational in two districts Dadu and Thatta, implementing an integrated health and nutrition response for flood affected populations. The provincial office is based in Hyderabad
To oversee the Technical Management of the Integrated Family Planning and Post Abortion Care Project in Swat
- Coordinate supervision of antenatal, intra-partum and postnatal, family planning and post abortion care though technical support to reproductive health staff, ensuring standardized protocols are understood and adhered to.
- To ensure all health information indicators are recorded and project technical reports are timely and of sound quality.
- Prepare weekly/monthly reports on MCH and RH activities and contribute to donor reports where required.
- To ensure regular feedback to facility staff on programme quality and progress against project indicators together with the HIS officer and BCC coordinator. To review constraints and opportunities highlighted by the team and to support changes in programme activities to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Assist the PMC and HR officer to recruit additional required MoH staff.
- To be responsible for induction and technical line management of reproductive health staff.
- To coordinate all training activities
- To ensure core competencies are monitored post training and to provide additional on the job training and formal training events to correct key problems.
- Develop and implement follow-up-after training plan for all RH services
Drug and Equipment
- To support the logistics team to ensure all reproductive health supplies are delivered appropriately and to support consumption monitoring and supply projections.
- To ensure Merlins drug management guidelines are adhered to with regard to reproductive health drugs, medical supplies and equipment.
- Work with the BCC coordinator to ensure an appropriate health education/promotion component linked to the facilities and outreach system.
- To ensure all activities and reports are shared with the Family welfare office and appropriate EDO department.
- To look for opportunities to work with the MoH.
- To represent Merlin in all RH meetings.
- Assist with emergency assessments and emergency preparedness planning as appropriate.
- Be part of outbreak response team involved in appropriate vaccination programmes, case management and control of spread as requested.
- Ensure minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the MISP and Sphere charter.
- Perform any other duties as may be deemed necessary by the PC and or PMC.
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION
- Registered female clinician/ female medical doctor/female nurse with reproductive health qualification and 3 years experience in RH &MCH supervision and monitoring that includes primary secondary and tertiary care.
- Primary health care or community health experience.
- Strong experience in family planning and managing obstetric complications.
- Team player, patient, flexible adaptable and work in a stressful environment.
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
- Willingness to travel extensively to project sites and often in an insecure environment.
- Basic spoken and written English
- Computer literate I word and excel.