- To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
- Lead the Finance Function ensuring that Pakistan Country programme has quality financial
- management procedures in place to effectively deliver on programme priorities; to ensure
- consistent financial support across the programme and to support Oxfam in managing /
- controlling financial risks and in making decisions pertaining to finances of the programme.
- Provide quality financial management and planning in the Country program.
- Ensure timely and quality financial reports as required in Oxfam.
- Accountable for the implementation of defined areas of work within the Finance function.
- Ensure compliance to all relevant Government of Pakistan, Donor and Oxfam policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Reports to: Business Support Manager
- Manages: 2 x Finance Coordinators, 2 x Finance Officers - Partners and matrix lines to the finance staff in the field.
- No direct responsibility but monitors and is accountable for managing budget of approx. � 40 M annually.
- Manages team and/or resources to achieve defined areas of responsibility.
- Control day-to-day operational activity of finance.
- Contributes to targets and strategies within the department and possibly within the region; influences policies.
- Interpretation of financial information; provision of advice to Country Management Team.
- Works to tight deadlines with sensitive information.
- Interprets and analyses financial reports.
- Produces regular reports, statistics and programme support strategy.
- Contributes to programme strategies, budgets and narrative reports.
- Recommends changes to procedures and enforces procedures and policies where applicable.
- Influences managers to work differently / adopt procedures.
- Services internal customers, only dealing with donors and government orgs occasionally.
Strategic Financial Management
Operational Financial Management
- To be accountable for the implementation of the corporate and regional finance strategy
- within the country, and ensure effective financial management, asset management and
- financial accountability within the country programme.
Support to Managers:
- Ensure that all Finance procedures are consistent with corporate and regional standards, are clearly defined and understood and are operated effectively throughout the country
- Ensure effective, timely and accurate functioning and monitoring of the complete PeopleSoft financial systems (GL and OPAL), including maintaining the completeness and integrity of data within the system, generating necessary reports and authorising monthly data compilation in the system.
- Contribute to the design of and oversee the preparation of regular (monthly/quarterly) management reports to meet the needs of programme managers within the country and also meet the requirements for regular reporting set by the RC and Oxford, ensuring timeliness and accuracy.
- Support the BSM, and other programme staff, in the preparation of programme (PIP) and project budgets, as well as the annual budget for Oxfam, and manage the preparation of financial projections / forecasts on a regular basis that are necessary for effective monitoring and review.
- Ensure payments are released after thorough verification by checking the documentation, relevant budget codes and ensuring the mathematic accuracy.
- Keep up to date record of bank accounts and bank signatories.
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliation of all OGB accounts in the country.
- Ensure effective asset management in close liaison with Logistics.
- Liaison with banks and tax authorities.
Donor Finance Management:
- To provide direct support to the BSM, CD, Programme Coordinators, Programme / Project Managers and Officers on all matters of finance specifically budget preparation, monitoring, control and reporting with a view to ensuring good financial standards are met. This will also include some finance training depending on the needs of individual managers.
- Support managers on budget phasing and forecasting.
- Support managers in OPAL budgeting and its management.
- Contribute to the development of donor proposals.
- Work with the funding team to manage the preparation of financial reports of Donors according to set deadlines. Ensure a complete audit trail from primary documentation to the accounting system for accurate and rapid donor reporting and general record keeping.
- Ensure donors compliance.
- Ensure proper donor contract management including systems requirements e.g. CRIMSON.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Work with the CMT in annual planning and lead in budget preparation of the Country Programme.
- To verify budgets prepared by Project Offices for accuracy and advise on design for optimum monitoring. Signing off budgets before submission to BSM & CD for authorisation.
- Assess performance of offices in complying with financial standards set by the Country Programme and ensure adequate internal controls are in place.
- Review accounts prepared and provide advice on its finalisation.
- Maintain an overview of Oxfam policy, systems and procedures relevant to finance, (and HR, logistics too) and ensure that developments are communicated and implemented appropriately through regular reviews.
- Maintain a risk register for the country programme, proactively review existing risks, identify new/potential risks and mitigate against these. Bring significant risks, real & potential to the attention of management & ensure timely action.
- Advise Oxfam of any changes / development in government policies, statutory requirements with regard to the finance function.
- To support the CD to ensure that the programme adhered to all relevant statutory / legal requirements in country.
- To ensure that the overall programme meets system requirements for the programme in people soft GL, OPAL and CRIMSON.
- Internal / external audit take lead in preparing for audits. Support programme staff in preparing for external and internal audits, identifying external auditors, and in the audit process itself. To ensure that audit recommendations are implemented and maintained.
- Familiarity with the laws of the country and ensure its compliance.
- Proactively engage in the development and implementation of Partner Capacity Building Plans, from a finance management perspective
- Build the finance management capacity of national partner organisations to meet the compliance requirements of the Government of Pakistan, Donors and Oxfam
- Ensure regular finance monitoring visits to Partner organisations and follow-up on monitoring visit recommendations
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- As a member of the CMT, attend monthly meetings and actively engage at country level management and strategic dialogue, planning and activities, providing leadership to the overall operation of the country programme.
- Provide peer support to all CMT members.
- Promote OGB one programme approach by integrating Finance activities with all Programme Pillars and other support teams; fostering. Collaborative, coordinated and close working relations with all Programme and Support Team Managers.
- Contribute to the development of the Single Management Structure of Oxfam in Pakistan, providing positive leadership with Finance teams of all affiliates operational in Pakistan.
- Provide leadership to and build the capacity of the Finance team, to provide the necessary support within Oxfam and to our national partner organizations.
This Job Profile is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide an should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives in accordance with the performance review process
- Expertise in the application of strategic financial management and experience in maximising resource utilization;
- Professionally qualified finance manager, preferably with some experience in a large and / or complex organisation, and the ability to influence and support colleagues in appreciating the importance of financial standards, procedures and controls;
- Experience of leading the implementation of operational improvements and the persistence to achieve change in a challenging environment;
- Experience of working in the NGO sector, preferably in a humanitarian context and with national Partner organizations;
- Leadership qualities and people management expertise to provide direction and effective support to a multidisciplinary and multicultural team;
- Experience in matrix management of functional staff to ensure effective delivery of functional objectives;
- Thorough understanding of financial system and how it interacts with other operational systems to maximize its information generating capabilities;
- Ability to gain and apply knowledge of the statutory requirements of the country
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including high-level interpersonal and representational capabilities; fluency in written and spoken English essential.
- Ability to operate and think strategically, coupled with proven analytical skills and the use of these to problem solve and make firm decisions;
- A strong commitment to Oxfams purpose, a broad understanding of the work culture in the development sector and its impact on key areas of responsibility and a commitment to humanitarian principles and action;
- An understanding of gender and diversity considerations within key areas of responsibility and commitment to addressing inequalities in the workplace and the programme.