System Administrator tasks:
• Maintain LAMP systems and keep the TeacherTube CMS running
• Apache issues, such as tuning, load issues, URL rewriting, connections
• PHP tuning, such as error logs, security, and troubleshooting
• Upgrade, maintain, and test support structures such as
o FFMPEG, mplayer, mencoder, codecs
o file upload limits and issues
• MySQL tuning and support scripts in a master/slave replication environment
• NFS mounts, file movement, and file sharing.
• Support file identification integrity, management, and storage
• Site backups for data recovery and disaster mitigation, including offsite backups using DROBO
• Maintain php ndmail servers
• Maintain lighttp
• Manage and support monitor systems, such as Nagios, Zabbix, Munin
• Perl scripting for file movement
• Shell scripts for disk management, back-ups, file transport, server monitoring, and automated recovery
Hardware and OS maintenance tasks:
· We run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for most of our servers. We need help upgrading some older Ubuntu 8.1 servers.
· Help identify and procure new hardware. Sunset or repurpose hardware as needed.
· Ensure sufficient capacity and back-up systems as needed.
· Remotely coordinate with on-site persons to handle hardware replacement and installation
· Help guide and support replacement for failed components, such as hard drives
· Apply software and security patches
· Monitor bandwidth, power usage, and disk storage
Networks and Routers tasks:
· Manage IP addresses and internal routing tables
· Manage Bind9, external DNS, Mail MX records
· Support Shorewall, fail2ban, zabbix, nagios, and other support tools
· Intruder detection and mitigation
· Tracking down network integration issues
· Port blocking, password management, anti-virus, and anti-spam controls
Mail Servers tasks:
· Manage and help automate the embedded mail server used for advertisements and mass mailings.
· Manage blacklists, whitelists, and ensure compliance with regulations.
· Help with Perl integration for automating services