The following JD is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Position:Women Medical Officer
Responsible to:Project Medical Coordinator
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specializes in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been operational in Pakistan since 2005, providing life saving activities for the most vulnerable communities in Kashmir, Baluchistan, FATA and KPK provinces. Merlin first became operational in Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir, and has since responded to a number of emergencies including the Yemyin Cyclone in 2007 and Ziarat quake in 2008 in Baluchistan, and the IDP crisis from 2009 onwards, affecting various districts of KPK. Merlin also responded to the catastrophic floods in 2010 and 2011. Since 2008 Merlin has also been implementing a large-scale development project focusing on malaria control in is currently working in collaboration with the Pakistan Ministry of Health and the Global fund to implement the Government's control programme across 14 districts of the country.
Currently Merlin is operational in two Provinces (KPK and Sindh) and 7 districts and implementing integrated health and nutrition programmes
Merlin has provided the emergency response in Sindh Province, in the South of Pakistan. The programme is implemented in three districts Badin, Dadu and Thatta providing integrated nutrition and health services to flood affected populations. The provincial office is based in Thatta.
To coordinate operational, medical and logistic activities in the field clinics, consistent with Merlin's protocols, guidelines and procedures, aiming to ensure that the field site team achieves the objectives.
- Overall management of 24/7 Basic EmOC centers.
- Coordination of all health activities within the clinic in close collaboration with other team members and MOH staff; curative, preventive, out-reach for vaccination and curative, health promotion, referral, planning and implementation of training activities.
- Conduct full oversight of project implementation and identify priorities
- Ensure that all protocols and guidelines are followed by team members, including the administrative procedures.
- Responsible for stocks control consistent with Merlin protocols and procedures.
- Participate in project planning and forecasting in close collaboration with logistic/Admin officer.
- Identify further population health needs and propose solution to concern persons
- To ensure the quality control of medical activities, and evaluate the possible professional hazards in the project site
- Strengthen the communication with targeted communities; ensure their informed involvement and participation.
- Ensure team participation in the decision-making process, and team cohesion and appropriate communication.
- Prepare drugs and medical material forecast.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Ensure regular communication with concern department/persons, and provide needed information when needed.
- Ensure the integration of MOH staff in a professional manner.
- The medical officer will conduct medical consultation, treatment and follow up of curative cases, and provide technical support for whole medical team.
- Ensure that the field clinic follows the approach of unity and uniform standardization across all site approach through regular coordination and meetings with others MOs.
- Facilitate the supervision visits of Project management team senior management Teams.
- Any other tasks as assigned by PMC or management.
- Manage the project staff, including recruitment, team building, and appraisals with close coordination of HR department
- Identify medical team's knowledge and skills gaps, inform the Project Medical Coordinator, and perform skills training, on the job coaching and daily guidance.
- Participate on all the training planning and implementation organized by Project management team In charge of the health status of Merlin personnel in the field staff and their evacuation when/ if needed.
Coordination and representation with local authorities and community representatives.
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION
- Medical doctor preferably with public health experience, having M.B; B.S degree and a valid PMDC registration.
- Experience of working with range of people, organizations and cultures.
- Excellent communication skills
- Team work, flexibility and relationship building skills.
- Calm under pressure.
- Fluent written and spoken English language.
- Previous work with INGO in remote areas.
- Speak local language Sindhi.
- Ability to travel if assigned by line manager
- Dedicated and punctual