Under the direct supervision of the Project Director (Children in Cotton Project), The Project Manager Education is responsible for implementation of Education Programme in the project focused districts as per project objectives, managing partnership with implementing partners and liaising with the relevant Government Departments and all other duty bearers/stakeholders in accordance with Save the Children Management Guide. Main purpose of this role is to implement Children in Cotton Project activities and to provide technical direction to the project team at implementing partners offices. The incumbent will be responsible for project implementation and achievement of project goal and intermediate objective of Education component in particular.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1.Programme planning and implementation
- To develop yearly project plan and seek approval from the Project Director.
- Ensure smooth implementation of Education related project activities as per project plan.
- Support partners for quality deliverables under education of the project.
- Identify best practices in education and scale up jointly with partner organizations.
- Contribute to the regular review of the Project Strategy in the light of lessons learned and provide strategic recommendations for logical alignment with the strategic planning tools.
- Actively coordinate with MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, accountability &Learning) section to ensure that appropriate monitoring and impact assessment mechanisms and tools are implemented in target field areas.
- Seek formal and informal technical expertise from the PDQ (Program Development &Quality) section and other thematic managers and senior colleagues to take quality initiatives for quality assurance and improvement.
- Actively coordinate with Health Manager in implementing SHN (school health &nutrition) & WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene)
- Keep the line management updated with latest information key developments in the partnerships and project implementation.
- Take responsibility for managing the partnership in line with the agreement in place.
- Provide technical back stopping to the partner, regularly visit the field, carryout process monitoring and provide feedback to partners.
- Make sure that the intermediate objective, outputs and performance indicators as outlined in the project proposal & LFA are met within the allocated time with quality.
- Develop and update policies and procedures for several sub-sectors in education to assure quality of implementation.
- Develop and update data collection tools and coordinate with partners teams for data collection, entry and analysis for reporting in close coordination with MIS (Management Information System) section.
- Develop project progress reports, case studies and success stories in coordination with partners and communication section.
Take full responsibility of the respective budget assigned. Prepare budgets and regularly update them, take approval as per organizational procedure and ensure monthly & quarterly budget
- Variance remains within tolerance level.
- Carry out field extensive visits to identify areas of improvements and extend support accordingly.
- Coordinate with implementing partners and develop monthly project and financial updates to be shared with the Line Manager and Senior Management Team
Assist Project Director in finalizing programme budget and discussing the same with potential partners for suggestions and recommendations.
. Networking and Advocacy
- Develop/roll-out advocacy strategy for Education component
- Develop/roll-out communication plan as per the policy of the organization and donor agency
- Make sure that project visibility parameters are in place and that all are in conjunction with project/ organizations communication and branding policy
- Develop effective functional networks with other actors working for the furtherance of childrens rights and establishment of District Education System.
- Represent SC before the Government and its departments, partner organizations, donors and the public, as well as within the wider organization, as appropriate for experience sharing and learning from the project.
- Liaise with government officials and be in frequent contact with ministries and relevant officials for purposes of policy advocacy.
.Children Participation and Child Rights Programming
- Include SC approach to child participation in all project work, wherever practicable,and seek to develop and incorporate child-friendly methodologies to promote child participation in project implementation.
- Apply in all project work approaches to child- rights based programming, diversity /non-discrimination, children as stakeholders, impact assessment, and organizational learning.
- As part of the Project team, contribute, as appropriate, to corporate debates on policy,practice and strategies on education in Pakistan and Global contexts.
- Participate as appropriate in assessments and responses in the case of humanitarian emergencies.
- Provide formal and informal technical expertise to the other thematic managers, and the Project Director.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children Values
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-graduate degree in Education or related discipline with minimum 06 years of relevant
- Substantial experience in project management/working in partnerships with local/ national NGOs.
- Good analytical skills backed by experience that spans areas such as field / action research, and field experience in programme management.
- An in-depth understanding of development issues pertaining to education and child development.
- Experience in advocacy at the level of communities, NGOs, and donor agencies.
- Experience in implementing programme interventions based on rights perspective.
- Good networking skills within the communities they work in and local NGOs.
- Ability to appreciate children issues in the context of the community and the macro environment.
- Skills related to participatory research methods, computer literacy, and financial management.
- Good communication skills both written and oral. Fluency in English. Ability to write high quality reports on programme interventions.
- Ability and willingness to travel widely and frequently.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiating skills:ability to accept criticism, tolerant, assertiveness, the ability to adapt behavioral style to the circumstances in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Good time management skills and ability to multi-task.
- Sensitive to child protection issues.
- Ability to understand and comply with security guidelines.