PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To maintain, develop and grow the, leading the Publishing (Editorial, Design and Digital Publishing) team, and building key strengths to maximize proﬁtability and competitive strength in the market.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/KEY RESULT AREAS
1. Publishing Opportunities: Identify and evaluate opportunities in key markets in order to contribute to the creation of a publishing plan, with an effective use of resource.
2. Publishing Plans: Establish long-term publishing and marketing plans to ensure that is positioned to exploit the opportunities available and achieve maximum market share in the identiﬁed publishing areas in a way that contributes to and enhances overall strategy.
3._Commissioning and Author Care: Identify and commission, or supervise the commissioning of, authors to prepare scripts in order to realise the publishing plan. Ensure that relations with authors are fostered and developed.
4. Contracts: Negotiate author contracts (or supervise the negotiation of those contracts) under guidance of Group Legal and with support of the regional Publishing Rights on terms and in a manner that will both be accepted by authors as equitable and be consistent with the Division’s commercial objectives.
5. Market Research: Plan, use, and direct the use of market research tools and techniques at the key stages of project development to maintain a user/market focus to the publishing.
6. Editorial: Supervise project development and the shaping of content so that the project is properly and effectively developed, desk editing is of an appropriate standard, agreed schedules are maintained, and the ﬁnal product is suitable for its intended market and meets the necessary quality standard.
7. Design: Supervise creative design: visual identity and visual projects creation. Supervise production design, in—house or done by third part ofﬁces. Identify and commission, or supervise the commissioning of, third part offices to realise both creative and the production design. Ensure that relations with third part ofﬁces are fostered and developed.
8. Digital Publishing: Supervise digital publishing projects creation. Identify and commission, or supervise the commissioning of, suppliers to realise digital media projects. Ensure that relations with suppliers are fostered and developed.
9. People: Recruit, train, motivate and develop staff to ensure efﬁcient and effective publishing.
10. Sales, Marketing and Professional Development: Cooperate with the Sales teams in order to ensure an agreed vision for project development, to ensure that the plan is timed effectively and to ensure projects are delivered to agreed schedules so that they can be effectively promoted. Cooperate with the Marketing teams toensure effective promotion of the frontlist and key titles on the backlist. Cooperate with the PD team in order to assure the right support and content for PD activities and also to guarantee that input from PD team will inform publishing plans in a way that products and services will be as suitable as possible to target customers.
11. Finance and Resources: Plan ﬁnancial and staff resources in order to carry out the Press’ publishing plan, maximizing its proﬁtability and effectiveness.
12. Systems and Processes: Establish and implement new procedures and review and improve processes, workﬂows and systems in order to maximise performance.
13. Wider Press: Participate and take lead in global, divisional and branch level initiatives.
14. Government Business: Keep up-to-date about any change or development made by Ministry of Education at Federal, Provincial or Local level which could affect the business or create opportunity for business. Stay informed about policy changes and trends at the Federal Education and Training Ministry and Higher Education Commission. Ability to interact with national and regional Education bodies in the development of state materials and state collaboration projects.
15. The way we Work: Ensure that Due Diligence,Compliance policy and ethical practices are followed accurately in all our tasks and dealings. Ensure 100% completion of online Code of Conduct / Ethical Policies training.
Demonstrate the values of brand in all of your dealings
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
Pertinent degree or equivalent experience in a professionally managed organization and handling a team in a senior managerial capacity Editorial and other allied publishing experience in related organizations
Ability to multi—task and handle a fast-paced work environment
Strong business acumen
Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization and with staff at remote locations
Strong problem-solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses
High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
Publishing, Production, Demand Planning, Finance, IT, Marketing, Professional Development, IPR, Compliance, Administration, and Human Resource departments.
Authors, Writers, Teachers, School heads of private and public institutions; senior faculty and decision makers regarding curriculum in schools and colleges; external reviewers,
Ministry of Education, freelancers and vendors (proof-readers, copy-editors, designers, illustrators, animators, programmers, etc.) and Academic Board