The main purpose of the DRF Support Officer is to provide operational , project management and MEAL support to Disaster Risk Finance -DRF program which is playing key role localizing risk information system to support wider anticipatory / early actions goals in Pakistan.
Introduction and background
Overview of the post
Start Network was formed in 2010, formerly known as CBHA (Consortium of British Humanitarian Agencies). The network is currently made up of 42 national and international NGOs around the world. Start harnesses the expertise and collective power of its members to run new financing mechanisms, collaborative capacity strengthening programmes and innovative humanitarian initiatives, underpinned by the principles of speed, collaboration, and shifting power closer to the front line of crises. The work focuses on three main areas i.e. localisation, new forms of financing and collective innovation. On one side Start Networks pooled funds enable fast and early action to cater for humanitarian needs arising from crises that are often overlooked by other funding mechanisms, while on the other innovate risk financing pilots are introducing new ways of working that can save even more lives. The new ways specifically include Start Anticipation & Risk Financing.
Rationale of the Position
The DRF Support Officer positioned in WHH Country Office will support operational, project managemnet, coordination and MEAL related aspects of DRF program by facilitating various DRF functions such as hazard monitoring through models, hazard anticipation and alerts, response coordination. He/she is intended to achieve this with support of technical working groups and hazard experts consultants and partners spread all over Pakistan. Supporting monitoring and evaluation activities and recording the learning for future improvemnets. The support from project officer will ensure that DRF and anticpatory humanitarian actions in Pakistan are timely, more effective, more responsive to the context, and better able to adapt
- Assist Forewarn Coord and DRF Coord in convening / organizing timely Technical Working Groups-TWGs coordination meetings
- Assist all TWGs heatwave, flood, and drought in hazard monitoring and raising timely alerts Assist anticipatory and DRF response by partners by in time dissemination of hazard alerts and updates on triggers.
- Assist in coordinating with partners, project implemneting organizations, TWG members and hazard experts consultants on day-to-day basis to gather regular operational and response updates
- Assist in timely updating and compiling of hazard specific contingency and response plans for heatwave, flood and drought from all partners
- Assist in shortlisting and review process of all hazards specific contingency and response plans for heatwave, flood and drought received from partners
- Assist Forewarn Coord in emergency information collection by coordinating with WHH’s provincial offices to gather emergency update and further compile and provide information and analysis.
- Support the Emergency Response Team-ERT in assessments, analysis, proposal development and provide support as needed to facilitate ERT initiatives.
- Manage and regulate all social media early warning groups on whtsapp and skype created for DRF program. Timely collect, disseminate and regulate flow of hazard early warning info on these groups
- Facilitate and support to organize DRF related workshops, seminars training for stakeholders and academia.
- Develop and manage information and knowledge sharing platform, which may include database and stakeholder mapping.
- Supporting and facilitating monitoring and evaluation activities and recording the learnings for future improvemnets
- Support the ERT coordinator (Forewarn Coord) in compiling monthly sitreps and tasks as assigned.
- As part of day-to-day operations to support DRF related forecasting, early warning and analysis network related activities happening in country convene stakeholders’ meetings, take notes/ minutes and if required organize training sessions/workshops.
- Support in developing DRF project quarter and annual reports and ensure the proper record keeping practice.
- Develop case studies and visibility articles by gathering DRF project activities pictures, documentaries from all implementing partners.
- Support DRF team in capacity building initiatives for WHH and partner colleagues on anticipatory forecasting, where necessary.
- Any other task as assigned by the supervisor.
Notes: This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive, and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as required. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
Under the overall supervision of DRF Coordinatior WHH S/he would work as part of WHH, Country Office Pakistan, DRF team.
Qualification and Skills required:
- Excellent professional track record with at least 5 years of experience in the NGO sector working in project support, coordination, management and MEAL roles, preferably in humanitarian assistance, emergency response or Disaster Risk Management -DRM related fields.
- Graduation or Master’s degree in Social Sciences, business administration or humanitarian assistance, DRM, environment/ climate change, or any relevant field.
- High interpersonal skills with a strong analytical approach in problem solving & management
- Strong intercultural and social competences with regard to communication & interface
- Excellent in operational and administrative tasks;
- Ability to facilitate/guide/moderate change at an operational and strategic level
- High resilience, improvisation talent and flexibility
- Excellent proficiency in English, Urdu and the local working language
- Strong understanding and knowledge of disaster risk management and emergency response systems and organizations in Pakistan.
- Strong coordination, report writing and communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate partnerships/networks and relationships with a range of stakeholders including but not limited to government departments, national NGOs, local authorities, and UN agencies etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of monitoring and evaluation of programs in humanitarian response settings and experience of organizing and conducting MEAL related activities.
- Sound understanding of humanitarian policy and best practice (e.g. SPHERE Standards, the Red Cross and Red Crescent Code of Conduct, Core Humanitarian Standard-CHS)
- Knowledge and previous experience of working with Start Network programmes especially DRF project would be an added advantage.
- Willingness to travel inside the country and visit partner initiatives on the ground.
- Proficiency in English is highly desirable, however, proficiency in German language could be an asset.
The position holder should work in a client and team-oriented manner and adhere to standards as described in the “Welthungerhilfe Code of Conduct”. Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV will be considered. Please provide references, but do not attach any written recommendations.
Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community."