Pragmatic, solution-oriented, problem solver with a high degree of responsiveness and proactivity with 15 years of experience of communication , advocacy, programme management, policy and governance mostly with national organizations and NGOs
Key functions and accountabilities
Developing Environmental and Social Impact Assessments and Land Acquisition and Resettlement Plans as key team member on a number of large scale projects in Pakistan
Preparing Environmental & Social Review Summaries (ESRS) for new projects and relevant program units of Project Appraisal Documents of clients and helping track and monitor social safeguard implementation
Undertaking policy dialogue with strategic partners and community institutions on social sustainability and safeguards issues and advising counterparts on technical options for social development, particularly land acquisition , resettlement, indigenous peoples, mitigation plans and institutional development and capacity building strategies.
Providing operational support on social risk management which includes undertaking regular operational missions to assist task teams to review social safeguard documentation and implementation to ensure that social issues have been adequately addressed and that projects are in compliance with the Social Safeguard Requirements.
Identifying and assessing policy issues and playing an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders. .
Maintaining stakeholders’ relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and providing evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge
Identifying the needed resources to accomplish results in a situation of multiple stakeholders and finding solutions to overcome the impediments in delivering the tasks
· Developed operational designs and mechanisms that address social opportunities, impacts, constraints and risks – with a focus on interventions that enhance reconciliation, peace building, community cohesion and social inclusion
· Promoted social accountability and good governance, and advanced gender equality as per SDGs framework
· Advised government counterpart agencies in the provinces on technical options for social development, including institutional development strategies and peace enhancement interventions.
· Identified potential partnerships and synergies aimed at advancing social development and community-based development on donor financed projects
· Coordinated social development work including quality control by reviewing outputs prepared by social development consultants.
· Identified promising practices and approaches on community-based development in insecure areas to be replicated and scaled up
· Carried out dialogue with government and country based stakeholders on community-based approaches, and provided technical support to them on the design of new programs in line with SDGs
· Developed concept notes and technical documents for new operations, including supporting reports, annexes, etc.
· Acted as the point person for community driven development work across the program portfolio and provided guidance and leadership on these issues.
· Wrote a series of policy briefs and articles in the leading newspapers to generate informed debate in the development sector and amongst the parliamentarians on SDGs
Key functions and accountabilities
· Worked closely with task teams and staff of Partner Organizations to identify and address social safeguard and ESF related challenges and issues
· Led efforts to build capacity among team members and Partner Organizations about significance of Social Impact Assessment, Vulnerability and Inclusion, Stakeholder Engagement, Grievance Redress, community health and safety, cultural heritage, and other requirements for management of social sustainability and inclusion issues in relation to projects
· Led Gender Mainstreaming Group and Grievance Redressal Committee for three consecutive terms. As a lead I supervised gender mainstreaming in project documents, management of Gender-Based Violence Risks and supported the implementation teams in operational compliance as per the World Bank’s guidelines
· Provided operational support on social risk management by undertaking regular operational missions to assist task teams in reviewing the social safeguard documentation and implementation across all projects in compliance with the Social Safeguard Policies or the ESF
· Prepared Environmental & Social Review Reports for new projects and relevant social sections of Project Appraisal Documents and completed necessary administrative activities used by the Bank to track and monitor social safeguard implementation
· Undertook analytical work on land acquisition, resettlement, Indigenous Peoples, vulnerability and inclusion, and other social risk management issues
· Engaged unit heads across all PPAF departments in the process of internalization of social accountability and overall compliance of World Bank’s Environmental and Social Management Framework
· Managed technical, institutional and program implementation issues regarding social development and led the pertinent dialogue with counterparts, including in relation to partner organizations and NGO concerns on social matters in certain projects or sectors
· Provided guidance to junior staff and consultants working on social risk management and supervised the timeliness and quality of their work, in coordination with thematic team leads
Mobilization and Outreach:
Carried out field coordination in the roll-out of targeted public sensitization and information campaigns and social mobilization process, by providing implementation support to partner in the field.
Coordinated and organized field outreach and communication activities in coordination with partner organizations
Organized community engagement and awareness sessions and programs at the field level across all districts of social mobilizations at the national level. ÃÂ
Developed relationship with local level media contacts to regularly disseminate program information
Managed portfolio of over $75 million distributed among 70 development organizations in 120 districts across Pakistan to implement Social Mobilization Program in collaboration with local government, private sector and INGOs
Designed, developed and implemented the result-based framework including M&E and communication functions.
Introduced social mobilization to disaster risk reduction strategy to help community institutions to manage social protection projects, asset transfers, and cash transfers and rebuilding of livelihood.
Assessed/appraised institutional capacity of organizations submitting proposals for grants and suggested nature, volume and tenure of partnership
Mainstreamed agenda of girlsÃ¢â¬â¢ enrolment, safe motherhood and access to safe drinking water at operational level, and led capacity building of partner organizations to develop plans in line with set qualitative and quantitative indicatorsÃÂ ÃÂ
Managed portfolio of Partner Organizations with respect to timely disbursement of grants, periodic reviews, monitoring and reporting
Undertook continuous process of institutional analysis focusing on potential social risks such as lack of inclusion, elite capture and others emanating from the political economy
Led, designed and managed the process which entailed synthesis of multi-sector plan based on the needs identified by the communities, set priorities, cost activities and developed system for community-based monitoring
Supervised the operations including HR, Administration, FinanceÃÂ and IT staffÃÂ of the program
Key functions and accountabilities
· Revised the existing organizations’ social performance and protection strategy and implemented it in all branches across Pakistan and Afghanistan
· Developed microfinance plus strategies through linkage building and coordination between AKDN development agencies to address the multiple spheres of social protection
· Supervised joint research project between FMFB and Harvard University of USA to develop social performance Index (SPI) - a participatory poverty assessment tool. The project has created a set of social indicators/quality of life indicators to track changes in the quality of life of FMFB’s beneficiaries over time
· Led resource mobilization for social protection initiatives of FMFB, coordinated with donors, external stakeholders and secured funding for innovative projects and business development services.
· Represented organization in international conference and engaged national media and celebrities getting them to talk about the importance of financial inclusion and social protection
Designed participatory private sector development models for corporate client across the country
Developed socio-economic and environmental impact assessment reports in line with the Performance Standards of World Bank and International Finance Corporation
Devised models for responsible business and corporate social responsibility and double bottom-line policy framework in line with SA 8000
Monitored the impact of ambient air quality and effluent discharge of corporate business practices on community
Coordinated with indigenous communities, local traders and corporate sector to assess problems, opportunities and challenges and to evaluate the expected benefits of a private sector development program
Devised mitigation strategies against the potential social and environmental hazards of corporate activities in Pakistan
Developed context specific conflict management and resolution models for leading Oil and Gas exploration companies operating in Pakistan and provided in-house content development and translation services for corporate and product promotion material.
Developed resettlement plans for category B and C projects funded through IFC and led the process of developing of Social Impact Assessments (SIAs) for the large-scale projects.
Coordinated with leading policy think-tanks and policy research academic institutes of the UK as part of informed policy development campaign of Oxfam
Conducted surveys of the public institutions including, National Health Services (NHS), Royal Mail Service and state run schools in London to evaluate the effectiveness of public services in the country.
Developed thematic reports on the emerging trends of development policy and discourses of participatory social action
Reported on cultural and political events in the geo-politically critical Northern Areas of Pakistan;
Presented political analyses from the regional perspective of national events and developments;
Advocated objective approaches in English journalism and organized exposure visits for local journalists to national media houses including Dawn and The News.
Served as a public watchdog over many NGOs active in the region by impartially reporting their achievements and failures.