Islamic Relief Pakistan requires Area Program Manager - AJK
BASE LOCATION: Muzafarabad– AJK
REPORTING TO: Head of Programme (HoP)
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: Manage Project Lead Persons and Support Department staff of Area & Field Offices in AJK
PURPOSE OF DIVISION: To design, implement and manage all programmes and its operations in AJK
The Area Programme Manager has overall responsibility for providing leadership which produces effective delivery and development of programmes in his/her area of operations. The APM is responsible for the efficient management of all Area Office resources (grants, awards, staff and assets) and leads the representation of Islamic Relief with county level authorities, I/NGOs, and visitors. His/her management of programme implementation and operations will ensure that the Area Office is in accordance with Islamic Relief’s policies and practices its Mission, Vision and Values.
Structure of IR Pakistan
Structure of Requisitioning Department
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role:
- Lead the successful development, implementation, planning, monitoring and reporting of programmes.
- Identify opportunities for building effective partnerships and developing constructive working relationships with principle stakeholders including partner communities, local government, Govt. agencies and other humanitarian I/NGOs. Build and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders and implementing partners (if any).
- Ensure physical welfare, well-being and professional development of staff.
- Oversee effective financial management of the project grant/s and activities
- Ensure effective working relations are maintained with the area and district level teams and with relevant colleagues at Country office.
- Ensure that IR programming interventions are integrated and well-coordinated useful in contributing to overall organization’s goals and mandates
Responsibility for Resources:
- Assist Area Office & country office with planning efforts and resource mobilization by assessing and interpreting local needs effectively through project design and formulation
- Management of the available resources with proactive planning for cost affective and proper utilization at area level
- Monitoring of the organization resources which includes human resources, assets ,fleet, offices warehouses to ensure transparent utilization
- Data compilation and provision for program development and resource mobilization for future programing as per actual need of the office and program
- Accurate inputs in budget preparation for resources allocation in upcoming projects
- The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and team members.
The following are the main responsibilities that the role holder will be accountable for:
Quality Program Implementation, Management and Reporting
- Responsible and accountable for IR’s programmes in the area and for the implementation and management of programmes in accordance with IR’s strategies and policies for quality programming.
- Ensure that the Area Office teams receive appropriate and timely support from technical specialists and MEAL team for program design and strategy, M&E, advocacy and planning.
- Contribute to strategy and proposal development within the area under the overall leadership of HOP. Responsible for ensuring that proposals are relevant, contextualized and inclusive of all required support and staffing costs at the field level.
- Ensure that the programmes are appropriately monitored reviewed and evaluated on a continuous basis according to organisational quality standards and in coordination with the Technical specialists, MEAL team and HOP.
- Ensure appropriate systems for all aspects of programme cycle management are in place ensuring lessons learned are taken into account.
- Develop and share quality reports in time with HOP and MEAL team as per the donors agreement.
- Overall responsibility and responsible for IR’s Programme area and ensure planning, implementation and management in accordance with Islamic Relief procedures, systems and guidelines.
- Lead the Area Management Team in ensuring smooth day-to-day running of field operations and ensure that programme plans are clearly prioritized and communicated to the operations team effectively;
- Conduct regular Area Management Meetings (preferably fortnightly) to enhance information sharing among Area Management Team members and effectiveness of operations;
- Work closely with the Supply Chain and Services manager to ensure adequate logistical support to deliver high quality programmes effectively.
- Ensure monitoring systems are in place and that project reviews are carried out periodically or episodically with support from the HoP and MEAL department.
- Lead development and monitoring of field-based detailed programme implementation and grant management work plans. Responsible for ensuring that field-based teams implement projects/programmes on schedule and within budget.
- Responsible for the delivery of high quality, timely reports for donors and internal purposes, as well as the development of relevant case studies, success stories and other documentation.
- Lead field-based start-up meetings of new projects with relevant CO staff to guarantee a joint understanding among team members of donor requirements, budget responsibilities, technical requirements and other considerations.
- Ensure standardised systems, policies and procedures are in place, well understood by all staff and in line with country programme system and are implemented in an appropriate manner
- Ensure transparency in targeting beneficiaries, delivery of services and participation of beneficiaries and partners in planning and monitoring of process is reflected in programme delivery.
- Ensure all relevant government authorities and partners are included in the planning and implementation of all project s as appropriate.
- Draw up plans, proposals and budgets for new projects/extensions of the project in conjunction with the Head of Programme and the Country Director.
- Ensure that the IR values and principles are embedded in all programme planning, implementation and reporting and that staff receive regular, up to date training on same.
- Ensure all IRs Management Operating Standards are followed, implemented and maintained
Financial, Budget, Grant Management
- Responsible for all budgets (donors and IR’s own resources) provided to the area. This may be delegated to other budget holders but overall accountability for the budgets for the area remains with the Area Programme Manager.
- Lead monthly project management meetings at appropriate levels with team and sharing regular update to Head of Programmes. In coordination with the Finance department, ensure timely report providing a variance analysis on each budget is submitted to Head of programmes on Monthly basis.
- Identify any budget challenges or issues such as over or underspends and propose solutions to Head of programmes as soon as issues are identified. Ensure that these are identified through the monthly Budget Vs. Actual (BVA) meetings and immediately addressed.
- Oversee the general application and observance of financial procedures and guidelines set out in IRs financial manual and donors’ requirements
- Ensure the grants are managed as per IR’s and donors’ requirement including the quality and timely submission of reports
- In collaboration with technical specialists are CO, ensure an efficient fundraising plan is in place and implemented
- Prepare annual budgets for the Area Office programme, assessing costs and budget/expenditures from projects and asset inventory.
- Prepare, and submit for approval program budgets and expenditure forecasts.
- Responsible for certifying and authorizing disbursements according to IR and donor guidelines.
- Ensure that security guidelines are followed in the project location and that any breaches of these are handled appropriately and reported immediately to the Country Director and the Head of Programmme.
- Monitor political, military and security situation in the project areas. Ensure to get record and reports of any security incidents to inform Country Director or his security designate.
- Develop a clear safety and security management plan for all areas of interventions in coordination with and collaboration of Security Focal Point. Ensure that staff understand and can implement this plan – and that it is reviewed and updated regularly.
- Ensure that daily communication is maintained between Muzaffarabad and the field sites and that any changes in security are reported.
- Attend security meetings and maintain regular contact with UN security officers as far as possible
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical Islamic Relief systems/procedures are implemented, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure Islamic Relief complies with all legal and bureaucratic requirements in AJK.
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between Muzaffarabad and Islamabad through provision of a weekly and monthly situation reports.
- Responsible to direct the preparation of projected expenditures each month (cash flow management).
- Responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management at the project sites.
- Carry out such logistical procurement as may be required by the project in a manner.
- Lead, manage and motivate the Area Programme team through clearly defined work objectives and individual/team work plans and receive meaningful feedback on their performance;
- In coordination with Area Management Team (AMT), maintain appropriate staffing levels and structures in the Area programme team, whilst planning and implementing specific actions to recruit, manage and motivate staff.
- Ensure appropriate gender and ethnic diversity within the Area Programme team;
- Ensure that Area staff has clearly defined objectives and understand their responsibilities. Ensure compliance with staff development strategies and Performance Management systems and evaluations.
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships and take the lead role in representing the principles and work of IR to representatives of other organizations (UN, NGOs, INGOs, counterparts, donors, government Authorities, etc.) who are working and visiting in the Area Programme.
- Oversee that local implementing partners are discharging their responsibilities, live up to stipulations stated in the partnership agreement and take appropriate action.
- Ensure all relevant stakeholders are kept informed of Islamic Relief activities as appropriate (e.g. other NGOs, health authorities etc.)
- Be the project’s contact with press and media, only after discussion with the Country Director.
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief Worldwide vision, mission and core values.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications (Bullet Points)
- Master’s degree in development or other social sciences and extensive practical senior management experience preferably in development and humanitarian response programmes;
- · Have experience and understanding of two or more IRs sectors – Food Security Livelihoods, WASH, Child Protection, Education, Nutrition and cross cutting themes such as DRR, Climate change and gender;
- Strong, demonstrable, financial management skills, particularly in budgeting and reporting;
- Good understanding to international standards; HAP, SPHERE Standards and the People in Aid Code of Good Practices;
- Proven problem solving and organizational skill; and
- An understanding of programme operations, i.e., logistics, HR and adherence to internal controls.
Experience (Bullet Points)
- Overall 9 years’ experience with Master degree & 12 years with Bachelor degree and relevant 3 – 5 years’ experience of managing Field/ Area/Regional offices in a senior role
- Experience of and understands Project Cycle Management and Result Based Management;
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- Experience of managing large and diverse teams in resource-poor, insecure settings.
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities;
- Strong analytical, monitoring and evaluation, and report-writing abilities;
- Experience in, and a commitment to, the implementation of robust Performance Management and staff capacity building and development;
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of representing organization with Government, Donors and coordination fora.
Key Personal Qualities (Bullet Points)
- Strong communication, people management and interpersonal skills in English,
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments;
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Strong representational and communication skills;
- Commitment to IR’s vision, mission and values.
- Decision making ability
- Gender and Culture sensitive