Oxford Policy Management Limited (OPM) is one of the world’s leading international policy development and management consultancies. We enable strategic decision-makers in the public and private sector to identify and implement sustainable solutions for reducing social and economic disadvantage in low- and middle-income countries. Supported by a multinational team of more than 300 full-time specialists on three continents, our success is based on a unique combination of high-quality analysis and 30 years’ practical experience of facilitating positive change in over 120 countries worldwide. OPM has operated in Pakistan for more than 20 years. Over this period, we’ve addressed a wide range of issues across the policy cycle, from health and public administration reform to public financial management, social protection and microfinance, as well as establishing a leading role in quantitative and qualitative surveys.
OPM Pakistan is seeking to recruit a Finance Officer on a fixed term contract based in Lahore office. Successful applicants should expect to provide wide-ranging support to project implementation phase across the subject areas.
Applicants must have:
- A Master’s degree in Finance/Accounting or a Chartered Accountant with a minimum of 3 years’ work experience
- Strong accounting and financial knowledge with demonstrated ability to undertake all required functions of the role
- Excellent computer skills (including Ms Office, accounting software)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively and confidently with administrative, academic colleagues and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and work effectively as part of multicultural and diverse teams
Role and responsibilities:
- Manage and maintain financial systems and files, ensuring compliance with the agreed budget, good accounting and financial management procedure and practice, local legislation/regulation and organisational and client requirements.
- Liaise with local banks as required to set up and maintain project bank account for the Provincial Office.
- Manage, monitor and supervise provincial and district offices’ finances within an agreed scheme of delegated expenditure limits in conjunction with OPM finance team.
- Manage Provincial Office project accounts and reconcile on a monthly basis, including all cash and outstanding commitments, ensure advance tracking and adjustment within stipulated time.
- Maintain and submit various periodic reports, including budget monitoring reports to Project Manager.
- Prepare monthly cash forecast for provincial office.
- Manage the operation of office petty cash, ensuring that adequate security procedures for cash handling are established and maintained, and oversee other staff charged with involvement in petty cash handling.
- Be responsible for tracking adjustment of advances and ensure all advance are settled within stipulated time
- Ensure purchase order, quotations and required documents are maintained as per OPM Procurement policy and duly attached with purchase vouchers.
- Review all submitted invoices, ensuring they are checked against all services/goods received prior to payment and make sure payments are released after all requisite approvals.
- Ensures eligibility and correct recording of different types of expenditure according to OPM and donor rules and requirements.
- Prepare and process payroll of the relevant provincial office staff.
- Assist in the preparation of the financial aspects of local contracts and agreements as required.
- Be responsible for preparation of all required documentation for regular expenditure verification (audit), ensuring that documentation is meticulously filed and maintained on an ongoing basis to support this process, and overall organisation and co-ordination of the expenditure verification (audit) process from the project side.
- Be responsible for payment of all regular utility bills and other pre-approved bills relating to provincial and districts office running costs.
- Pro-actively keep up to date with legislation and regulations relating to financial management, including financial matters related to employment of staff and consultants and highlights any issues that may affect project implementation or budgets.
- Be responsible for cashbook, including proper record keeping of all payments, adequate documentation, correct coding of payments in all aspects, deduction of requisite taxes, ensure required authorizations are obtained, all supporting evidences are attached in the cashbook, and it’s filling and archiving.
- Be responsible for providing all relevant financial information for month-end closing of cashbook. Submit completed and verified cashbook along with bank statement, bank reconciliation, cash in hand certificate and updated Fixed Asset Register.
Income Tax/Withholding Tax
- Pay all the taxes deducted or withheld to the local tax authorities within prescribed period.
- Prepare, submit and deposit tax withheld statements within prescribed periods.
- Complete and submit tax forms and returns and other government documents as required.
- Provide information and documentation to OPM Islamabad office during tax working, tax notices and audits.
- Provide consultants with tax certificates as and when required.
- Be responsible for explaining tax deduction to consultants as and when required.
- Ensure confidentiality of project information and materials.
- Work within agreed timescales and to deadlines.
- If required, assist the Provincial Office Manager in arranging accommodation, local registration and/or travel for project consultants and assist consultants with provision of related information and, as may be necessary.
- If required by Office Manager, monitor the state of IT and other office equipment and manage external IT support and maintenance.
- Carry out any other tasks as reasonably required
Desirable Skills and Experiences
- Prior work experience in accounting and financial management procedure and practice
- Sound knowledge of tax compliance
- Experience of project management highly desirable.
- Ability to multi-task well and manage multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Detail oriented.