Agency: WaterAid Pakistan (WAP)
Vacancy Type: Fix Term Consultancy
Title of the position: WASH Technical Officer (Female)
Contract Duration: November 1, 2021 till March 31, 2022 (05 months)
Reports to (title): WASH Manager Technical- WaterAid Pakistan
Travel: To WaterAid Pakistan intervention areas (30% of the time
Clean water, decent toilets and hygiene are three essentials that help people lead dignified and healthy lives.
They should be normal for everyone, but for millions of people they are not. We are determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene a normal part of everyday life for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
Purpose of the Position
The key role of this position is to provide technical support to the country programme in timely completion of ongoing and new WASH projects as per approved designs, specifications and quality compliances. The position will support in the review, design and supervision of WASH infrastructure. It will provide technical assistance to WaterAid’s programme team and it’s implementing partners in ensuring quality execution of infrastructure work.
Key working relationships
Internal: WASH Technical Manager, Manager Rural Programme, Manager Urban Programme, Manager Her-WASH, Senior Management Team, Manager Finance and Manager Admin and Security.
External: Technical Leads and engineers of Implementing Partners (IPs)
Duties and Responsibilities
Following will be the key accountabilities of position:
1. Development of design and drawings for water, sanitation and handwashing infrastructure, preferably using AutoCAD, in accordance with WAP/IPs implementation plans
2. Thoroughly review and/ or develop Bill of Quantities (BOQs) with detailed and clear specifications and realistic pricing based on local market assessment
3. Provide technical support to IPs in developing WASH infrastructure designs, drawings and BOQs, ensuring that appropriate management models and operation and maintenance are considered at the design stage
4. Conduct field visits to support and guide IPs technical staff, contractor’s staff and to ensure the execution of WASH interventions as per approved designs/drawings and agreed specifications of materials and outputs
5. Support WAP and IPs in the engineering aspects of contract processing, contractor/supplier selection and/or sample selection/ procurement process with due documentation
6. Ensure that WaterAid Pakistan’s ‘water quality policy’ and ‘health and safety at construction sites policy’ are practiced during projects execution by implementing partners as well as contractors
7. Support the line manager in documenting and presenting the successfully implemented technological model for learning and sharing
8. Maintain effective coordination and communication with relevant WAP programme team for bringing best technical knowledge to ongoing projects or in initiating new work
9. The incumbent of the position will have to ensure that:
Bachler degree in Civil Engineering (B.E-Civil Engineering) from an HEC recognised university.
At least 5 years of working experience in civil works with reputable national/ international organisations/ consultants
Proven experience in establishing/ designing water supply systems (piped water schemes, filtration plants, hand-pumps etc.) and sanitation systems (public/ institutional toilets, drainage systems, fecal sludge management, waste water treatment plants, hand washing facilities etc.)
Proven experience in carrying out technical assessment and evaluation of WASH projects both in rural and urban areas
Knowledge and practical experience in construction quality management process including quality planning, quality assurance and quality control
Required skills and competencies
Able to work with diverse teams and stakeholders for drawing up sound technical designs
Good communication skills (written and oral) in English and Urdu.
Demonstrated excellent programme planning monitoring and reporting skills
Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision
Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
Desired skills and competencies
Expertise in AutoCAD and/or other related engineering software
Knowledge of relevant standards of environment and government policies on water and sanitation technologies.
Experience in training and capacity building of field engineers, local contractors, technicians, government technical staff and working with community groups
Knowledge of any of the local languages will be an added advantage
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege, or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our communities, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority. All staff and volunteers are required to share this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment reference checks to ensure high standards are maintained. WaterAid is an equal opportunity and disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness, and equality.
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation. Since we started in 2006 in Pakistan, we’ve remained resolutely focused on tackling these three essentials that transform people’s live ...
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation. Since we started in 2006 in Pakistan, we’ve remained resolutely focused on tackling these three essentials that transform people’s live ...阅读更多