Project manager responsibilities
- Defining project objectives, project scope, roles & responsibilities.
- Defining resource requirements and managing resource availability & allocation – both internal and third party.
- Outlining a budget based on requirements and tracking costs to deliver project on budget.
- Preparing a detailed project plan to schedule key project milestones, workstreams & activities.
- Managing delivery of the project according to this plan.
- Tracking project and providing regular reports on project status to project team and key stakeholders.
- Managing and adjusting for any changes in project scope, schedule and / or budget.
- Identifying and mitigating potential risks.
- Managing the relationship and communication with the client and all stakeholders, ensuring the project is delivered to their satisfaction.
Skills required for IT project manager:
- IT project managers require strong technical skills and a solid understanding of software development.
- Business & commercial acumen and excellent stakeholder management skills are also essential.
- Analytical skills are necessary in order to correctly identify risks and solve any problems which may arise throughout the project.
- Mathematical and budgeting skills.
- Good time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once.
- A good communicator with effective stakeholder management & conflict resolution skills.
- Be a good team player and an effective leader who is able to motivate their project team.