A) Review/vetting of property documents and drafting legal opinions:
- To review property and other documents received from CAD as well as other departments of the Bank and then to draft appropriate legal opinions relying on relevant laws/judgments in the best interest of the Bank. To ensure that all possible risks are highlighted in the opinions rendered and to advise internal departments, the best possible solution through proper mechanisms. To provide assistance and advice to all departments of the Bank in all kinds of legal issues and to suggest proper course of action.
- When faced with a matter wherein opinion of expert legal counsels is solicited, to liaise with panel lawyers and obtain such opinions in a timely manner so that the business activities of the Bank are not affected.
- To keep abreast of all new amendments in laws relating to rent/property/succession matters and all laws applicable to the Bank and to ensure that all such legal provisions are taken into consideration and that departments are advised in the best interest of the Bank. Provide full assistance to the Line Manager in this regard.
- Processing and screening of approvals for payment of legal expenses, including professional fees etc. Negotiation of fee and other expenses with dealing lawyers.
- Ensure that high level secrecy and privacy for all legal data is maintained for the organization.
B) Drafting/reviewing Bank’s contracts and maintenance of Repository of all Bank’s Contracts:
- Support & assist Line Manager in drafting, vetting and providing legal opinion on agreements & contracts including but not limited to service agreements, lease agreements, finance agreements, hypothecation agreements, pledge agreements, mortgage documents and bank guarantees, while identifying and eliminating legal risks and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws.
- Also to maintain Central Repository of Agreements/documents and review them to highlight legal and corporate risks and suggest a suitable course to mitigate such risks.
- Provide support to Line Manager in reviewing all Agreements/ Contracts to analyze and identify recurring disputed matters on defaults/ disputes, and strengthen relevant contract clauses to preempt future liabilities.
Develop master contract to maintain certain uniformity in rights and liabilities of future agreements.
C) Miscellaneous Legal Tasks
- Support & assist Line Manager in Litigation functions of the department and assist in managing litigation portfolio, attending dispute resolution matters, collections claims, commercial transactions, contract disputes, property damage, lease matters etc.
- Support & assist Line Manager in the assessment of legal documents of the Bank to ensure legal protection. Assist Line Manage to develop and maintain Register of all applicable laws and which function is responsible for implementation ( Legal Matrix/ Register)
- Support and assist Line Manger to identify and conduct peer team members trainings required to enhance their knowledge and experience.
- Complete any other jobs/tasks/assignments assigned by Line Manager.
- LLB and enrolled as an Advocate.
- Thorough knowledge of the Property, Banking and Contract Laws and Practices.
- Knowledge of the Regulatory Environment.
- Knowledge of Bank's products, policies and processes.
- Understanding of commercial lending practices is desirable. Negotiator, self-starter, assertive, team player, highly punctual and able to resolve conflicts without compromising on job objectives.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work with tight deadlines.
- Have strong investigation / analytical skills.
- Strong oral presentation and communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite.
- Willing to travel.
Duration and nature of previous experience
- 1 –3 years of relevant experience preferable with a financial institution.