The Production Manager manages the Placement, Execution and Follow-up of Manufacturing Orders by ensuring the timely delivery of Quality, Profitable Goods.
The Production Manager will be required to work on numerous activities for the company in the areas of:
Production Targets, Workflow Management, Innovation, Quality Management and Output Reporting.
The Production Manager will report directly to the General Manager to ensure efficient processes at all times.
Roles and Responsibilities
Overall Management of Production Department, including but not limited to:
- Monitoring current Work-in-Progress
- Planning future Work Orders
- Identifying & Addressing Non-Conformities
- Driving Production to meet targets
Management of Production Supervisor including, but not limited to:
- Distribution of Work
- Regular checking of Patterns for accuracy and appropriateness
- Ensuring minimum wastage on lays when cutting
- Ensuring a coherent and smooth flow of production at all times
- Checking speed of production against targets
- Observing, Assessing and Resolving Non-Conformities per existing production guidelines
Oversight in General Trends & Innovations
- Perform competitive research (Production Techniques, Fabrics, Suppliers, New Markets, New Items)
- Continuously evaluate marketplace to identify and report on applicability of key trends in manufacturing,
fabrications and construction
- Identify significant innovations and share with supervisors in production and partners in merchandising and
design on regular basis
- Maintain archive of Materials/Fabrics, Hardware/Machinery, Accessories etc. for production
Operations & Results
- Create approved vendor matrix, with costing and production capacity portfolio.
- Assist in negotiations on pricing to ensure profitability; enter final buys; track production from first samples
to final deliveries; advise Senior Manager and Director of non-compliance/claims chargebacks with vendors;
coordinate customs classification coordination with imports
- Partner with Merchandising, Design and Sales to develop product, ensure correct execution of products and
attain agreed-upon margin goals, in context of larger assortment and cost structure; set and articulate
expectations and ensure timely delivery according to development calendar.
- Manage Product Development including execution of Prototypes, Salesmen Samples, Fabric and Color
- Follow and enforce Production Standards and Cohesiveness of Brand, where appropriate, across categories
and Vendors; attend all fits and work closely with Product Development to ensure on-time approvals;
execute Quality Control initiatives, including QA Analysis and Solutions; adhere to and enforce Production
Standards set by the company.
- Troubleshoot Quality and Technical issues with Factories, Mills, Vendors and Teams; execute efforts in
Special Garment Development and enhancements and modifications to designs and materials, including line
and discount/derivative products, in order to maintain aesthetic and achieve financial goals.
- Advise management on Capacity Planning and Performance Management by Sourcing Office, Region,
Country and Vendor; contribute accurate information for Costing Models; allocate production across
Vendors and reserve production space.
- Ensuring Factory meets all required existing ISO standards for certificate renewal purposes.
- Ensuring Factory is always export ready by regular reviewing existing Production Techniques, Quality
Management Systems, Costings & Pricings.
- Ensuring that items produced are consistent & Internationally Competitive in terms of Quality, Fit & Pricing
Customers & Relationships
- Partner with Customers, Sales, Merchandising and Operations, as well as Vendors and Factories to ensure
adequate flow of goods relative to orders and anticipated demand criteria
- Coordinate Inter-office communication and follow-up with Internal and External customers and contacts
regarding Production, including Suppliers and Vendors.
- Perform Special Projects as assigned.
- Travel to Factories and International Trade Shows, where appropriate.
Leadership & Teams
- Contribute positively to team dynamic and manage up where necessary.
- Attract, develop and retain talent.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of individuals.
Preparing the following reports to the General Manager:
- Weekly Production Output Report
- Monthly Production Output Report
- Non-Conformities, Error Discovery & Correction Report
- Weekly Work Order Planning Schedule
- Monthly Trend observation report
Key Performance Areas
- Support to Managing Director
- Support to General Manager
- Support to Production Supervisor
- Support to Merchandiser
Key Performance Indicators
- Both Minor and Major Production Non-Conformities are identified in minimal time, communicated and
addressed, resulting in improved production process.
- Designer Patterns are coded, labelled and saved in an easily retrievable manner.
- Designer Patterns are always updated
- Cutting wastage is minimised
- Work distribution is efficient, coherent and organised.
- Production times are consistent with targets
- Delivery periods are met and/or exceeded
- New fabrics are sourced & delivered within 3 months
- 0% returns in orders manufactured
Skills and Requirements
- Superior organizational skills and excellent communication skills; team oriented.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; highly detail oriented and meticulous.
- Creativity, technical capability and sensibility for merchandising/design.
- Knowledge of garment manufacturing, including construction, fabrication, pattern understanding,
trim and print techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 4 - 8 years’ experience in apparel production and sourcing; relevant experience in category.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe products, CAD, GERBER Equipment & Software.
- Must be willing to relocate to a foreign country
pAngels Enterprises (Pty) Ltd was established in 1996 and has a long history for commitment to quality, affordability, and timely delivery of goods with an established reputation for excellence to all our clients. Angels has been locally manufacturing a wide variety of garments for a diverse range o ...Read More