This is an exciting opportunity to join CARE International in Pakistan to provide leadership to its ongoing programmes and oversee its business development. The Assistant Country Director – Programmes (ACD-P) is responsible for ensuring that CARE's programs in Pakistan contribute to CARE's vision of "a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been eliminated and people live with dignity and security". In this role, the ACD-P is expected to provide strategic leadership mainly in the areas of new program development. program implementation, monitoring and evaluation and cultivate a high performing team.
The ACD-P is responsible for overseeing the development of program strategies appropriate for the specific environments in which CARE works. S/he manages a team of professionals focused on the design, funding, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects (including emergency programs) that effectively address the underlying causes of poverty in line with CARE's Programming Principles. S/he must also ensure that systems and people are in place to ensure the proper management of those projects and programs. There is a particular emphasis on programmatic learning and developing evidence of scalable methods and models capable of influencing wider policy and practice.
Given the high level of recurrent humanitarian need in Pakistan, the CO has standing emergency response capacity in addition to long-term programs focused on the empowerment of vulnerable girls and women in education, economic empowerment and SRH and GBV.
The ACD-P is a key member of the Country Office Senior Management Team and as such is responsible for leading and supporting CO initiatives. S/he is responsible for (along with the CD) maintaining good working relationships with donors and other partners. S/he may be required to become Acting CD when the CD is out of the country.
This position requires a seasoned leader with proven ability to perform under stress, attention to detail, a proactive approach to meeting deadlines and building team collaboration.
CARE Pakistan is committed to significantly multiplying impact in four interconnected and specialized strategic pathways related to the empowerment of women and girls; 1) Humanitarian Effectiveness with a focus on Gender in Emergencies, 2) Addressing Gender Based Violence, 3) Women Economic Empowerment in the Garment Sector and 4) Promoting Girls’ Education. Each strategic pathway will facilitate changes with a focus on marginalized women and girls to reduce vulnerability and positively impact their lives and that of their families and communities. CARE invests in these transformative impact pathways, create value for partners and those we serve, sharpen the organization’s identity and influence, increase competitiveness, and create an agile management culture and lean operating model. CARE has a special focus on working with partners and this ACD-P role will be pivotal in diversifying the range of partnerships and geographic locations where we work.
Reporting to the Country Director, the ACD-Programs will oversee establishment of partnerships, program development, impact measurement, organizational learning, funding and program management of development and humanitarian operations of CARE Pakistan to achieve this strategy. The ACD-Programs will significantly contribute to identifying, selecting and assisting in implementation of CARE programs, directly or through Partners, in accordance with respective plans/budgets, and CARE’s program quality standards.
The ACD-Programs will steer the successful operationalization of CARE Pakistan’s strategy and identifying and developing staff capabilities to successfully implement the plan. The ACD-Programs contributes significantly to ensuring quality, effective and efficient programming that maximizes the sustainable impact of CARE’s work in Pakistan and continually strengthening CARE’s reputation as a leading and respected agency in specific areas.
The post-holder will also be responsible to guiding the strategic alignment of the country office to CARE’s Regional and Global Strategies, serve as a member of CARE Pakistan’s senior management team, and serve as a key advisor to the Country Director. Achieving these objectives requires strong change management mindset skills and the post-holder will be required to provide thought leadership, build commitment across diverse teams and lead with vision and values to motivate action.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Job Responsibility #1 Leadership and Implementation of Programme Strategy to Multiply Impact with a focus on Innovation and Scale
- Direct the alignment and implementation of the Program Strategy to the overall CO Strategy by providing thought leadership for defining the content of the strategic directions, articulating actionable roadmaps with clear milestones and monitoring and reporting results. This should ensure a balance between Development and Humanitarian Response considering the dual mandate of the organization and the local context requirements.
- Effective management of staff that strengthens the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the organization to deliver sustainable impact and overall coordination between the various departments and sectors of the country office.
- Manages and overseeas performance of staff associated with program development and implementation, with a particular emphasis on maintaining quality and accountability standards, advancing and mainstreaming civil society/partnership, rights based approaches, Governance, Gender Equity and Diversity and advocacy.
- Assess and identify technical needs, and develop and implement plans for technical assistance.
- Ensure the professional development and talent management of staff is planned and implemented to maximize performance and career development.
- Build a dynamic organization, with opportunities for innovation and personal growth by promoting a culture of, and mechanisms for, reflective practice and learning at all levels.
- Oversee development and management of department budget in accordance with policy and procedures, ensuring effective and efficient delivery of planned outputs in a timely manner.
- Cultivate external partnerships with government, community partners, donors and other stakeholders to ensure that CARE is well informed, and able to influence stakeholders.
- Ensures that the CO’s programming is based on sound research and analysis, timely assessments, and proactive learning.
- Develops and implements strategy for information management and learning to strengthen knowledge across the CO, and improve quality and capacity of CARE to maximize its impact in accordance with its strategy
- Leads and/or supports development, implementation and review of research and assessments assignments. Conduct continuous research and analysis into the comparative advantage of CARE in the region and lead processes to identify CARE’s niche.
- Develop and inform CARE’s policy and advocacy messages around gender issues, both from a humanitarian response and long-term perograming perspective.
- Strengthens sharing of information and technical resources across the broader organization for learning and innovation.
- Supports developing CARE as a respected and leading voice on specific issues in line with its strategic plan and program approach.
- % of Time: 25%
Job Responsibility #2: Fundraising, Planning, Design, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Leads on development and implementation of annual fundraising plan that increases ability of CO to attract funding from a variety of sectors/sources and coordinates fundraising efforts.
- Proactively develops and maintain donor relations, and strengthens understanding of donor startagies and priorities in order to be able to match programmatic direction with the most likely sources of funding.
- Strengthens overall CO skills, capacity and process so as to ensure a high quality level of proposal development, report writing and adherence to techical riguours and standards of contracts.
- As a member of the SMT, contributes significantly to the development and implementation of Annual Operational Plan and Strategic Plan of CARE .
- Supervises and improves Design, Monitoring and Evaluations functions to ensure CARE is able to monitor and track the impact and the quality of its program through regular data collections and efficient M&E system.
- Ensures linkages of COs KM&L systems to border organizational systems and initiatives on KM&L
- Ensures that CARE programs and projects are developed in a manner, which achieves the program/project goals as outlined in P-shift and Unifying Framework.
- Oversees the development, piloting and implementation of new and innovative program approaches appropriate for the context of the CO.
% of Time: 30%
Job Responsibility #3: Program Implementation and Technical Support
- Ensures that variances between plans (financial, activities and outputs) and actual are minimized.
- Works with unit staff to assess and identify technical assistance needs with regard to technical skills, supervision support, etc. for new and ongoing programs/projects;
- Ensures that appropriate technical, administrative and financial support is provided by the respective deparments and sections of the CO to enhance the capacity of the the programs/projects/field office to effectively undertake and support program implementation with progressive degrees of decentralization and autonomy.
- Follow up on and closely monitor the implemntation progress of the CO program Operation Plan;
- Ensures that reports are prepared and submitted to concerned parties, donors, counterparts and CARE members on time and in a professional manner;
- Monitor the thecnical quality of ongoing projects, and intervene when nessasary, to corect flaws and adress weakness.
- Coordinate the process of reporting on projects progress to donor, ensuring that contractual terms and conditions are respected.
- % of Time: 40%
Job Responsibility #5: Perform other duties as assigned.
- % of Time: 5%
- PROBLEM SOLVING (Thinking Environment)
- There are three levels of problem-solving: 1) What has to be done and how to do it are clearly defined, and the incumbent will face identical or similar problems on a regular basis; 2) What has to be done is known, but how to do it is not defined.
- The incumbent must use interpolative skills to pick and choose the right strategy to address a given problem; and 3)
- Why things are done is known, but what has to be done and how to do it are not defined.
- Situations are variable and the incumbent’s response will involve analysis, problem definition, development of alternatives, and making recommendations.
- He or she will face and address problems that are typically non-recurring.
- Please indicate which of the above levels of problem-solving this position will face, and why the position falls into that category. 3
- Level 3 - The ACD-Programs is one of the senior CARE representatives in Pakistan and as such is responsible for problem solving at a variety of levels.
- S/he will need to be able to analyze and resolve situations as they arise on a variety of subjects ranging from programming decisions to issues related to government and donor relations.
IV. QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
A) EDUCATION/TRAINING -
Degree level qualification in Social Science, Development Studies, International Development or related thematic sectors.
B) EXPERIENCE -
At least 10 years’ senior management experience. Minimum of 7 years’ experience in strategic and operational planning, program design and development, fundraising, and monitoring and evaluation. Five-year experience with financial management, budget development and donor compliance and reporting. Experience in successfully managing institutional partnerships with national and international NGOs. Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors, civil society and government counterparts. Extensive experience in implementing Rights-Based Approaches (RBA), advocacy strategies, gender and governance mainstreaming and initiatives.
C) TECHNICAL SKILLS
Management, Strategic planning and analytical skills, excellent creative and conceptual skills, advanced writing and clear oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, training skills, computer skills. Ability and interest to coach and develop staff. Ability to establish a learning culture within the CO.
Respect, Integrity, Diversity, Excellence, facilitating change, Building Partnerships, Planning and Organizing, Operational Decision-making, Innovation, Collaboration
FREEDOM TO ACT
PRIME (takes full and total responsibility)
CONTRIBUTORY (provides support and contributes to the overall success)
A) General Accountability: What types of decisions can the jobholder make without prior approval? Are they
- List the types of decisions the jobholder can make without prior approval.
- Identification of needs around planning and makes changes as appropriate.
- Facilitates planning in COs and helps them determine the most effective ways to develop and roll out their new strategies.
- Identifies and recommends areas where new policies and processes are needed
Does this position have complete autonomy in determining staffing of area of responsibility?
Would be expected to identify staffing needs for areas of responsibilities. Identifies and hires consultants for specific activities.
B) Financial Accountability
- What the $ amount of the budget managed? $ 3-5 million USD.
- What is the $ amount of signing authority for this position? as per CARE wide standard Authorized Signatory List.
- Provide detail as to the financial impact and magnitude of this position:
Key position for obtaining donor funding in terms of ensuring that the CO maintains and expands its current funding and ensuring appropriate spending in implementation. Position has significant financial impact in the organization
The competition will remain open until the position is filled.