Cavalier has established itself as the fastest-growing and most well-known brand of ballistic protection and tactical apparel, gear and functional products. We wish to expand this to develop a loyal following among some of the most demanding and discerning end-users of apparel and gear and wish leverage our deep relationships with Law Enforcement, Special Forces Operators and First Responders to gain unique insights. The resultant products should break new ground combining ruggedness, speed, range of motion and ultimate comfort in professional duty, tactical training, adventure, women’s tactical, fitness and industrial professionals.
The Technical Product Developer for Load Bearing & Protection is responsible for managing the development process from concept through production hand-off, in accordance with end-user needs, corporate standards for quality, consistency and functionality, while meeting price, minimums, sourcing strategies and exceeding customer expectations. The candidate should have a high level of expertise and experience in manufacturing methods, construction and sewing processes of soft goods including packs and bags, luggage, belts, protective gear, and other tactical gear in addition to construction, fabrics and trims.
- Will head the design team and merchandising team to facilitate the development of the products.
- Develop materials, hardware, and trims in accordance with product specific standards, color standards, and timeline goals.
- Creates the technical specifications and BOM’s for the products including construction details and detailed drawings; Publishes, and maintains all records, style files, and samples associated with the product and related programs.
- Recommends materials, and construction techniques that meet Design expectations and meet or exceed predetermined gross margin targets.
- Responsible for overall execution of fit, grading & construction
- Creates / provides pattern for initial prototype made at in-house sample room & throughout development when needed
- Evaluates and approves all prototypes for accuracy, fit, cost and construction
- Drive multiple project timelines and update the management regularly
- Communicate directly with vendors both internationally and domestically and ensure product quality/integrity
- Understand requirements for compliance to regulatory, and other standards to include military specifications and country-specific regulations
- Understand product costing, negotiation, and how to develop a product to a target cost
- Manage the 3rd party test results of products to ensure certifications are maintained and current,
- Continually look for innovative and technologically advanced manufacturing processes, products, materials and applications, trims, and colours
- Provide technical product support to marketing, sales, and customer service.
- Participate in product meetings to coordinate actions and mitigate project risks
- Coordinate and meet with end users for product validation and development meetings
- Manage fit (where applicable), field testing and evaluation of prototypes
- Other duties as assigned
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should have the following credentials:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University and/or combination of education and relevant experience. Education from a foreign university will be preferred.
- Minimum of 2-5 years of product development experience and product knowledge in bags, luggage, belts, protective gear, and other related soft goods
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of fit, patternmaking, construction and manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of pattern computer program preferred
- Pattern making and sewing experience a plus
- Experience in tactical gear and equipment preferred
- Must be able to multi task and work in fast paced environment
- Proactive and solution/result-oriented attitude
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication and follow through skills
- Must be highly organized and detailed oriented
- Able to independently manage, proactively troubleshoot and solve highly complex problems
- Prior experience working with overseas vendors
- Demonstrates superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to create trust with cross functional teams
- International and domestic travel as needed
- Extensive computer experience including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite
- Advanced experience in Adobe Illustrator
- PDM / PLM software experience preferred