A Community Manager is the face of a company, managing communications in both directions. This digital-savvy employee is responsible for all communications, PR, social media, events, and content creation, among other things.
It’s a Web 2.0 communications role, incorporating online tools and in-person networking to create relationships and ultimately build the company’s brand, both online and off.
While every day as a Community Manager is different, this is what the role’s responsibilities may include:
1. Content creation – writing blog posts, articles, newsletters, communications materials, and material for social media channels
2. Social media marketing – creating, managing and growing the company’s presence through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and other strategically relevant online properties
3. Customer relations – Responsible for customer support – answering questions however they come in (phone, e-mail, Twitter) and managing any online feedback forums such as GetSatisfaction pages
4. Communications/marketing strategy – Responsible for creating strategic marketing/communications plans to provide direction for the company’s public-facing communications
5. Analytics – Using Google Analytics and other measurement tools to provide reports on metrics, and continually find ways to improve on those metrics through testing and new initiatives
6. Business development – Responsible for business development and sales
7. Events and event planning – Attending industry events (often outside of 9-5 hours) and planning meetups for your community
8. Public relations – Managing incoming media requests and building relationships with industry journalists; creating, executing and measuring media campaigns