Introduction and background
Welthungerhilfe (WHH), founded in 1962 under the auspices of the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), is one of the first global initiatives aimed at eliminating hunger and today one of the biggest aid agencies in Germany.
WHH has initially established as a support office for Afghanistan during 1997 in Peshawar, Welthungerhilfe initiated its programme in Pakistan in response to the 2005 earthquake to provide support to the effected districts in Khyber Pakhtun Khwa (KP) and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK). WHH wound up its office in March 2010, only to resume its programming in August 2010 in response to the 2010 Mega floods that hit Pakistan. Between March and August 2010, WHH continued its interventions in Pakistan through its Alliance 2015 partners. In 2012, WHH implementation methodology, saw a paradigm shift, from self-implementation to implementing all projects with local partners. Today Welthungerhilfe Pakistan is working with national partners in KPK, Punjab and Sindh as well in cooperation with international partners e.g. Alliance2015. Welthungerhilfe is largely supported by the German public, but also through institutional donors such as the European Union, the German Foreign Office, Department for International Development (DFID) and others. Welthungerhilfe Pakistan aims to support the most vulnerable and marginalized population of Pakistan affected by natural and man-made disasters by building resilience at household and community level.
Overview of the post
WHH implements sector-specific as well as integrated emergency response and development projects. Under the current context all projects include COVID-19 response/precautionary mechanisms. The position will focus on providing technical advice to a COVID-19 response project supporting health facilities and services, implemented through a consortium of INGOs and in cooperation with local implementing partners, in Sindh and Punjab. The position is based in Islamabad.
The Health Specialist will be expected to lead and supervise the implementation of project interventions related to respective health components and provide technical advice to WHH and implementing partners in ensuring high quality deliverables. As a technical expert in health, the incumbent coordinates the development of strategic partnerships, required to support the emergency response provided under the project. S/he will liaise with the project partners, district government health facilities for participation in the capacity building program, affirming successful initiatives within the project districts of Sindh and Punjab. The position will be responsible for not only managing smooth running of the project activities through partners but will also be keeping a watchful eye for ever changing Covid-19 scenario in terms of designed program activities, government requirements and contextual developments. S/he will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the WHH implementing partners and to regularly monitor the project activities. S/he will technically advise procurement, provision as well as utilization of health equipment for health facilities. The position will ensure the health standards are met through design and implementation of activities. S/he will support the Senior Program Managers and Partner Project Managers in technical areas of project implementation, partner capacity building, quality assurance and reporting. S/he will actively participate in all project consortium Health related and Health working group meetings and supervise all aspects of the WHH’s related health program, with a focus on timely and quality results, teamwork, participation, empowerment, accountability and impact for stakeholder, target groups and final beneficiaries. The position ensures that health related communication, equipment and methodologies comply with government and sector-lead requirements and reach affected populations. The position acts as technical advisor and is responsible for integration of health consideration in all project management cycle steps. The incumbent will work with numerous counterparts at consortium level, implementing partners, and technical experts. S/he will perform other position-related tasks, as required and directed by the management team.
Main Role and Responsibility for the Health Specialist are:
1- Supervisory responsibilities:
· Technically advise and support the partners in implementing high-quality programs that adheres to requisite rules and guidelines and ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, and sustainability in implementation.
· Advice on multi-sectoral technical assessments in coordination with other thematic areas.
· Work closely with the Knowledge Management and Learning team and put in place a Health sector MEAL plan, ensuring that it links to reporting requirements, and build capacity of technical field staff in carrying out the work.
· Ensure that health initiatives have disaster risk reduction strategies embedded in response strategies and plans.
· Develop insights into how tele-health services can be conceptualized and delivered. Services include mental health, physiotherapy, and psychosocial support services.
· Generate a guidance document related to best practices in the areas of tele-mental health and tele-physiotherapy, identify evidence-based approaches that could be implemented within working contexts, and generate recommendations to adapt current services or develop new services to meet the needs of the beneficiaries.
· Carry out monitoring and advisory visits to project areas to support the implementation of on-going grant by the sub recipient.
· Ensure that the public health promotion activities are appropriate to the needs of the beneficiaries; Develop educational material for both hospital staff and affected or displaced people.
· Ensure that systems are set in place for the assessment and provision of necessary training to health workers.
· Ensure that there is an exit strategy in place while designing and implementing all activities related to Health.
· Identify Health interventions and provide technical guidance while developing project action plans, in coordination with local partner, district administration, and other stakeholders, as necessary.
· Ensure that Implementing Partners are working in compliance within WHH gender and Emergency framework under health response.
2- Technical Responsibilities:
· Stay up to date with international and local state-of-the-art health’s technical approaches, analyze and interpret policy, strategy, and technical documents to ensure WHH’s health activities are aligned with.
· Extend support to Consortium partners health intervention, e.g. dissemination of information about psychosocial support, RCCE/communication, etc.
· Develop and maintain an extensive network of key public health contacts.
· Represent WHH in sectorial technical working groups and coordination meetings in support to Program Managers.
· Regularly coordinate with partners and stakeholders.
Qualification and Skills/Compentencies required:
· Excellent professional track record with at least 5 years of experience in the NGO sector working in health programming/implementation in Pakistan Context.
· Preferable doctor with master’s degree in public health or degree in a relevant field.
· Any certification related to managing epidemic/pandemic disease would be an advantage
· Prior experience of working in emergencies, reproductive healthcare and PHC programming.
· Good knowledge about infectious diseases and medical responses. Have good understanding on the public health laws and policies that provide the framework for effective prevention, like quarantine laws, drug development policies, and bioterrorism and biodefense
· High resilience, improvisation talent and flexibility
· Capacity to develop, implement and analyze health assessments, develop, and implement work plans, program/project budgets in excel sheets and financial management
· Strong coordination skills with the ability to manage information (report writing and presentations).
· Substantive experience in developing and promoting collaborative partnerships in emergency and humanitarian relief operations, coordination, representation, and negotiation.
· Excellent demonstrated communication and negotiation skills Excellent writing skills (assessments, reports.) Ability to convene stakeholders and facilitate a policy process among UN, national and international NGOs, national health authorities and donors Strong problem-solving and organizational skills in day to day and crisis situations Flexibility, and able to adjust to changing context and situations
· Knowledge in organizational development
· Ability to transfer/multiply lessons learned
· Experience in mentoring and coaching partners
· Professional experience in the host country or knowledge of the local context
· Proficient knowledge of Core Humanitarian Standard
· High quality skills in training, monitoring and evaluation of health interventions.
· Excellent proficiency in English, Urdu and in other local working languages however, proficiency in German language would be an asset
Key Working Relationships: Project team, Program Managers, Implementing partners, MEAL department, Consortium members, Logistic Department, WHH Emergency Response Team, WHH Agriculture and Nutrition Advisor, WHH technical advisors at HQ Germany
Key Knowledge required:
· Excellent knowledge of Government structure, institutions and procedures (Particularly in Punjab – South Punjab and Sindh);
· A good knowledge of Government legislation relating to development assistance, health, and FP/RH programming, as well as WHH programming policies, regulations, procedures and documentation and of the objectives, methodology and status of the programs and projects to which assigned.
· Familiarity with capacities and constraints of NGOs active in Health activities in Pakistan
The position holder should work in a client and team-oriented manner and adhere to standards as described in the “Welthungerhilfe Code of Conduct”. Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV will be considered. Please provide references, but do not attach any written recommendations.
WHH is an equal opportunity employer.
WHH decides the employment on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. However; WHH strongly encourages women’s, minorities and person with disabilities to apply who are meeting the minimum criteria for the position.
Today, Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest non-governmental organizations in Germany. Non-profit making, non-denominational and politically independent, it is run by a board of honorary members under the patronage of the Federal Republic of Germany. Its work is funded by private donations and publ ...Read More