Welthungerhilfe (WHH), a German NGO, is looking for a Senior Engineer to assist the Project Coordinator/Leader, Multan in the smooth implementation of WHH’s ongoing project Building Disaster Resilience in Pakistan (BDRP) in South Punjab province – in particular, to provide technical support to the design, implementation & monitoring of infrastructure and WASH component of Building Disaster Resilience in Pakistan (BDRP) programme. The position will also support the capacity building of the IPs on technical standards and compliance to provide technical guidance to (CDMCs), and partner organisation staff in the areas of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Shelter, and WASH. To assist the BDRP Project Coordinator by providing technical monitoring, reporting and technical input during the implementation of small scale community infrastructure projects, taking into account disaster risk reduction measures.
III. OBJECTIVE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Technical assistance to partners/ all stake holders for smooth BDRP implementation of interventions in South Punjab (primarily DRR, Shelter and WASH); and support to WHH programme at CO level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Technical Support and quality assurance
- To ensure that technical and quality aspects of activities are in line with best international practices and standards and are appropriate to the operating context. The Infrastructure /WASH Coordinator will support in leading the Infrastructure Technical Working Group (TWG) for the Programme.
- Provide technical support to IPs field staff for their community mobilization work related to construction and management of soft component of WASH.
- Provide technical advice and support to all programme teams in planning and budgeting of construction and trainings’ activities, including support in the development of IEC materials or assessment of engineering designs and approving these where appropriate.
- Support partners in the process of procurement and selection of contractors and other aspects of contract management as requested. Explore supply chain issues for availability of required material to promote sustainability of systems.
Monitoring, Training and capacity development
- Conduct reviews of engineering works and WASH soft component at field level when requested and build the performance capacity of IPs staff
- Ensure consistency with Organization’s, IPs and DWHH policies, strategies, guidelines etc.
- Contribute to the development of projects that involve WASH infrastructure and soft activities so that they are in line with Organization’s and DFID policies, technical guidelines, etc.
- Develop and manage relationships with relevant UN sectorial Cluster or working groups, engineering groups or other networks at national level that can provide technical support to BDRP program.
- Support and facilitate development of criteria for prioritization of DRR infrastructure projects
- To provide support and facilitate implementing partners (IPs) and community bodies such as Union Council Resilience Forums (UCRFs) and CDMCs to prioritize infrastructure projects as per criteria.
- Develop technical feasibility studies, maps, cost estimates, and Bill of Quantities (BOQs) for each potential DRR infrastructure and conservation project.
- Provide support to IPs and UCRFs/CDMCs in management and technical facilitation for the review and approval of infrastructure projects.
- To support and facilitate UCRFs and respective CDMCs in developing a detailed execution plan against realistic timeframes.
- To support the IPs staff in signing contracts/Terms of Reference (TORs) with UCRFs for each project and support and facilitate in determining community contributions.
- Support and facilitate IPs in determining roles and responsibilities for respective CDMCs, UCRFs, UCs (elected local government body), and district line departments.
- Provide technical assistance and troubleshooting as requested by management to ensure the smooth execution of the BDRP project.
- Plan the timely completion of DRR infrastructure activities as per Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and according to approved designs and quality performance standards.
- To conduct capacity building training for UCRFs and CDMCs in managing and monitoring projects, maintaining stocks and record keeping.
- Provide technical support to WHH /partner staff during field visits to ensure the execution of engineering activities as per approved design and standards:
- Provide support to the partners in the execution of the projects so that they are able to adhere to WHH and donor policies/technical guidelines etc.
- Work closely with the WHH/partner logistics team(s) to ensure that appropriate WHH logistic systems are set up at and adhered to from the outset of WHH’s intervention (this may include assisting in supplier & material selection, etc.).
- Provide detailed materials list for the project activities with required number and specifications as per approved BOQ/estimates and drawings of the project to the logistic unit for incorporating in tender documents.
- Technically review the tender documents before advertisement regarding quantities, specifications, units and other liabilities that are required from supplier as per the approved design of the project.
- To check and maintain the quality of materials/supplies as per approved samples and quality performance standards.
- Submit bifurcated work plans to the BDRP Project Coordinator for the assigned targets.
- Submit progress reports to the BDRP Project Coordinator on a daily/weekly/monthly basis (whichever required).
- Display an understanding of local community and related cultural sensitivities
- Display good skills of people management in the Infrastructure / Construction Sector.
- Strongly coordinate with, and maintain relations with, all relevant stakeholders, including relevant government authorities and line departments, community activists, UN sectoral cluster/working groups, technical working groups and other coordination mechanisms.
This post aims to provide support to WHH’s BDRP project in the appraisal of designs and BOQs, technical monitoring, support to the project management team (PSU) in monitoring and evaluation, and ensuring adherence to standard procedures, practices and guidance documents as per SPHERE standards. The job holder will need to build and maintain good working relationships with various stakeholders as required, including but not limited to: government authorities at district and provincial level, UN agencies, clusters/working groups, participating I/NGO partners, community members and donor agency staff.
. Professional background & knowledge:
MiMinimum qualifications: B.Sc/B.E/B.Tech in civil engineering or a related discipline·
MiMinimum 5 to 8 years’ relevant work experience of working on infrastructure projects at officer/coordinator level or above, preferably in the INGO/NGO sector.
· Experience/knowledge of medium to large scale DRR infrastructure and construction projects, Shelter, WASH and other Community Physical Infrastructures
· Good capacity in community mobilization and knowledge of how to use participatory approaches during project implementation.
· Experience in training and capacity building of local contractors, technicians and technical staff and working with community members.
· Knowledge of technical monitoring as basic steps and tools of process monitoring as well as evaluation.
· Good knowledge of assessments and utilization of different assessment tools for surveys
· Good knowledge regarding procurement protocols and standard procedures of procurement process and different modes of procurements with mandatory documentations
· Experience of working in South Punjab is a plus.
· Awareness of gender issues and exhibits gender sensitive behavior and understanding of issues around human rights, gender equality, HIV/AIDS prevention, capacity building and partnerships.
· Good collaboration and interpersonal skills with local, national and civil society stakeholders
· Good understanding of development issues with emphasis on participation and sustainability;
· Excellent report writing skills
· Proficiency in MS word & excel with expertise in AutoCAD
· Commitment to humanitarian principles.
Good understanding of humanitarian/development issues in Pakistan