Provide skilled nursing care within a multidisciplinary environment, to ensure safe and effective patient care. Manages individualized, goal-directed nursing care through use of the nursing process and the principles of primary nursing in accordance with departmental and hospital policies and procedures.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide direct nursing care to patients on a shift by shift basis in a defined clinical setting
2. Prepare plan of care for each patient using nursing process, patient’s needs assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation from best practices options.
3. Demonstrates the skills and judgment necessary to implement medical plan of care, nursing interventions, and procedures, as necessary for the care of the patient
4. Evaluates the identified problems, care provided, and patient's responses are reassessed, in order to meet patient and family needs to ensure overall quality of care delivered.
5. Completing a full nursing assessment and any related orders within 12 hours of a patient’s admission (includes to complete the nursing assessment, documents the patient’s nursing/medical history, drug history, nutritional history, and immunization history as fitting)
6. Maintains up to date and accurate documentation of nursing care provided to ensure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team, in order to ensure quality care.
7. Educate patients on the care and management of condition and to adopt a problem solving approach to managing complications.
8. Accountable for clinical care of assigned patients, including direction of Patient Care Attendants/ Health Care Attendants (PCA/HCA), Ward Clerks (WCs) and ancillary personnel
9. Demonstrates knowledge of policies and procedures for administering, transcribing, and recording medications.
10. Administer prescribed medications according to guidelines and policies.
11. Undertake laboratory requests as ordered.
12. Minimize patient risk and ensures a safe environment and working conditions by instituting appropriate control measures within the ward.
13. Provide guidance and support to newer or less experience staff
14. Participate in quality activities and in improvement plan monitoring activities
15. Continue own education and professional development
16. Apply and maintain infection control and safety policy and ensure that all accidents / incidents are reported and documented.
17. Being culturally aware of patient and staff needs
18. Reporting all complaints, incidents and accidents
19. Maintain adequacy of medical supplies and medication
20. Responding to calls, questions professionally in a timely manner
21. Perform other assigned tasks relevant to this function including but not limited to inventory, act on request as the coacher to new employee/ intern, and assist in preparation of ward/unit statistics.