This position is responsible for ensuring educational infrastructure construction works are completed to required quality standards within time by the effective coordination and management of the activities of the district engineers. In addition the position shall include monitoring and verification of construction works and provision of technical assistance to PTC/SCs, CCSIs, Contractors and School Support Team colleagues
Reporting and Supervision: This position will report to District Manager
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Technical Lead Role in Districts
- To perform the role of the Technical Lead in the District to proactively identify and resolve issues including delays, major quality concerns, resource shortages (human or otherwise), safety, community and environmental and child labor compliance et al.
- Initiate and recommend Contract Variation Orders.
- Issue Non-Conformance Reports and ensure the resolution of issues emanating from the NCR.
- Approve contractor submissions for material and sub-contractor approvals.
- To mentor and support the DEs’ in the performance of their duties.
- Perform any other task assigned by supervisor
- Monitor Inspections conducted by the District Engineer (DE) using the MIS Dashboards and random field visits.
- A minimum of four Unique School Site visits per week, to verify at least 1 inspection conducted by each DE. An additional Audit Inspection entry by SDE is a requirement. Priority should be given to schools with major quality of work concerns or community complaints and significant progress delays. SDE will carry out one inspection per school block before the approval of Milestone
- THE FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS: Review & Validate that ALL inspections entered by the DE are complete, meeting the following minimum requirements
- The name(s) of the Contractor Representative, CCSI Members on site for inspection.
- Observations, related to the particular inspection.
- The recommendations made in the case of failure and the stipulated time for issues to be addressed (details in MIS and concise version in Site Register).
- A clearly agreed re-inspection date with the contractor representative.
- Accurate Photographs related to the specific details in the inspection.
- All required construction forms to be filled and attached e.g. Contract Variation Orders, Rebar Approval Forms, Material Approval Forms, Source Approvals, Bar bending schedules, concrete test results, non-compliance reports etc.
- For re-inspections (because of failure of previous inspection or delays), District Engineer will be required to make a specific entry addressing the resolution of the issue.
- THE FINAL MILESTONE VISITS to require JOINT MEASUREMENTS conducted by SDE (with District Engineer & Contractor Engineer together) on site.
- During the site visit the SDE will ensure that the Contractor has maintained the updated site records on site. These include (but not limited to):
- Quality Control Plan
- Health & Safety Plan
- Construction Schedules
- Site Register
- Contract Statement of Requirements/Specifications
- Statement of Requirements (Scope of Work)
- Hard Copy Record of All Documents
- During the site visit, the SDE will check to see that monitoring and enforcement of the widespread use of PPE Equipment & Removal of Debris and notification of child labor is being done by the DE.
- To ensure the resolution of all school related issues coming out of the MIS Inspections, in collaboration with the DM e.g. resolution of Failed Inspections and addressing of re-inspection associated delays, technical or otherwise
External and Internal Coordination/Correspondence
- Participate in a MANDATORY weekly conference call with the Provincial Director & Managers.
- Conduct a bi-weekly Meeting with the Contractor, with minutes circulated to the DM, Contractor & CSM within 2 working days.
- Effectively communicate and report ANY and ALL issues that cannot be solved at the District Level, to the province or to CPMU, as and when support is required. . Important to note, the SDE (and the DM) should regularly follow up on the escalated issues with the concerned people (in writing as well as by telephone).
- Assist the District Manager in finalization of bi-weekly work schedules of DEs.
- Verified the submitted invoices (based on the desk evaluation of joint measurement sheets and random field visits)
- Any other as directed by the functional or the line manager
Minimum Qualifications and Knowledge Required
- BSc in Civil Engineering, preferably with Master in Construction Management / Project Management /MBA
- Leadership Skills
- Contract Management Skills
- Written and spoken English as well as local language(s);
- IT Literacy: able to use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel at an intermediate level plus knowledge of Smartphone / tablet applications;
- Good knowledge of understanding construction drawings and specs.
- Familiar with different on site quality tests
- Knowledge of Site layouts.
Note: Shortlisting can be done anytime beofre the deadline of the advertisement.