The web developer’s role is to build the operations end of the client’s websites and keep them running smoothly. This includes designing, Building and implementing new web pages and sites; integrating sites with back end applications; migrating legacy applications to the Web. This also includes providing support for long term, following MVC standard, creating manual of the product, and creating commented codes. Web Developers are categorized as: Front-end Developer, Back-end Developer, Full-stack developer, Technology Specific and custom coder.
Strategy and planning:
- Participate in setting web development strategy
- Develop and communicate websites usage and security policies and standard to all users.
- Define website architecture and overall site structure
- Establish policies and procedures for publishing web pages in conjunction with content creators.
- Acquisition and development:
- Perform cost-benefit analysis of proposed web implementations
- Conduct research into current and emerging web technologies and issues in support of web development efforts
- Install and configure HTTP servers, and establish appropriate server directory trees
- Identify, recommend and prioritize new web features and application in conjunction with business leaders and department managers.
- Develop code, install, test, debug, and document web application using appropriate editors
- Update webpages to ensure site accuracy and protection
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with existing web applications and sites
- Work with database administrator to design, develop, and update database as they relate web applications
- Ensure security of all websites and related applications
- Monitor and report on website traffic and performance
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.