The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Pakistan for over 30 years, and manages and delivers large, complex programs to meet needs in health, education, protection, environmental health and livelihoods for displaced, poor and conflict-affected communities. The IRC is currently working in partnership with non-governmental organizations and in close coordination with district and local government in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Baluchistan and Punjab and Sindh provinces.
The IRC is implementing Enrollment, Retention, Mainstreaming and Protection (ERMP) Project in Balochistan. It is an integrated education and child protection intervention with aim to increase access to education and improve safety outcomes for vulnerable and underserved Afghan and host community children in Pishin and Chaghi districts of Balochistan province over a period of 36 months.
Scope of work:
The content contextualization and translation should serve as a resource for the target clients in Pakistan.
The Urdu Translation of the content must be made in an easy to understand language and must be reflective of true meaning and import of the English version of the same without giving word to word meanings.
Texts for translation are expected to include implementing guide, introduction summaries, and other programmatic materials.
Two documents for translation are from 133 to 198 pages in length.
- The translator will be responsible for:
- In consultant with IRC and SEHER, review and contextualize of the modules according the needs of adolescent children and contexts of Balochistan.
- A brief presentation on proposed revisions / adaptations will be given to IRC technical unit before starting the translation.
- Producing accurate/ reader friendly written translations of English text to Urdu following the original document format
- Content accuracy includes detailed comparison of content, facts and figures and making sure there are no omissions from the source
- Reproducing as precisely as possible the meaning and the page layout out of the source text.
- Using natural and simple forms of the target language (Urdu) in a way that is appropriate for the kind of text being translated and the target group.
- Expressing all aspects of the meaning in a way that is easily understandable to the target audience.
- Ensuring Urdu language excellence and proofreading, including vocabulary, syntax, expression and grammar as well as all relevant terminology.
- Ensuring quality check and proofreading of translation and that no typographical errors are left in final text.
- All texts, including texts in figures, boxes, captions, sources, and covers requires translation and proofreading.
- The assignment will be done remotely and will be submitted electronically via email.
- The translator is obligated to work within the required deadlines and be available to Provincial/country office for comments and corrections
- Ensure that the translation is written with style, correct grammar and spelling, and Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in both soft and hard copy
- The translation submitted to the IRC under this TOR is the property of the IRC and cannot be submitted, distributed to or used by any other party, unless with a prior written permission from the IRC.
Deliverables and Timeline
The consultant will be responsible for the following deliverables over an anticipated period of forty-five days (55). Specific deadlines will be start form the day of signing of MOUs.
- Inception report along with work plan 5 days
- Presentation of the proposed adaptations in the curriculum 10 days
- Submission of draft translation for review 30 days
- Incorporating feedback and submit final report 10 days
- To ensure quality control, the consultant will be expected to participate in briefing meetings with the IRC as needed to monitor the progress of the assignment and to ensure the timelines are met.
- The Consultant shall make itself available to the IRC as when desired by the Client to review and discuss the progress.
Mode of Payment
- The payment for rendering the services will be linked with the deliverables and shall be released after completion and acceptance of quality work by IRC team.
- Tax will be deducted as per Govt. policy.
- In all matters in relation to the assignment, the consultant will report directly to the Child Protection Manager based in Quetta Office.
- The consultant for adaptations, will also work closely with the SEHER team, Education Manager in Quetta, and Senior Protection Coordinator based in Islamabad.
Qualification of Consultant:
- Excellent knowledge of Urdu and English; excellent Urdu language and communication skills (Native speaker)
- Degree or concentration in specific subject matter (i.e. human development, social sciences, gender studies, public health, psychology, etc.) OR 2+ years of working experience in relevant field (child protection, women’s protection and empowerment, GBV, public health, psychology, women or adolescent health, RH/FP, etc.) and/or translating in field above as an in-house or full-time freelance translator preferred.
- Understanding of women and adolescent girls’ experiences particularly in context of Balochistan.
- Sound understanding of the local context and needs of adolescent girls
- Degree or equivalent certification in translation preferred
- Degree in source language (English) preferred
- Demonstrated experience in translations from English to Urdu for clients such as research institutes, Human rights organizations, international organizations, translation services or other translation users.
Commitment to IRC WAY and gender and safeguarding policies:
- The IRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
- The IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
- The consultant will abide by the IRC WAY and Safeguarding Policies.