The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity, and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been working in Pakistan for over 40 years, and manages and delivers large, complex programs to meet needs in protection, health, education, environmental health, and livelihoods for displaced, poor, and conflict-affected communities. The IRC is currently working in partnership with non-governmental organizations and in close coordination with district and local government in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Balochistan, and Punjab and Sindh provinces.
The Media and communications Officer will be responsible for documenting overall progress, lessons learnt, case studies, developing communication material with internal and external key stakeholders, preparing donor briefs, supporting the development of advocacy briefs/material, support in designing and implementing information/awareness raising, media campaigns and preparing the internal periodical reports for ongoing program (as and when requested).
This position requires a very frequent and close coordination with all key program staff within IRC and externally with implementing and consortium partners, clusters, government authorities and other NGOs.
- Maintain and provide support to country office and field team against internal information channels & communication policies and protocols, branding and marking guidelines i.e.in consultation with relevant focal points
- Build the capacities of key program staff on documenting success stories, case studies, media write-ups, press releases etc.
- Support Sector/Unit lead in developing IRC’s strategy to use social media as means to positively project IRC’s work in the country in consultation with and guidance from sector/Unit lead.
- Field visits to learn and understand the contexts and documenting and capturing stories from field which can/should be shared widely
- Respond to internal information requests from staff (CO/FO), partners and donors in consultation with respective program staff/supervisor
- Prepare briefing packs for donor and other visitors to IRC.
- As needed, research and writing of briefing materials and advocacy papers in coordination with Media and Communications lead.
- Transform reports/updates gathered from program implementation teams/partners into effective and useful information and disseminate efficiently to key relevant stakeholders
- Assist in planning and delivering various capacity building initiatives planned in addition to information dissemination/ awareness raising campaigns for IRC broadly
- Draft internal progress reports, presentations, and updates as per donor’s and IRC requirements with highest quality standards
- Produce high quality case studies and document the learning as shared in different forums or highlighted during course of project implementation
- Support Media and communications coordinator in designing of media campaigns for ECHO Project
- Videography/Photography of project sites and case studies.
- Liaise with other sectors and IRC program teams to ensure that all relevant colleagues including department/unit lead and SMT members have updated information available at hand
- Attend all relevant Program Coordination Meetings, opening/implementation/review meetings
- Liaising with different NGOs, INGOs, UN Organizations, Govt. organizations to support LNGB program particularly in protection mainstreaming, advocacy and media initiatives
- Support supervisor in organizing meetings.
- Contribute to overall project support regarding internal/ external communication with partners with least supervision
- Writing and editing high quality analytical reports, publications, website content and taking minutes during meetings
- Writing of different high-quality progress & analytical reports, workshop reports, grants
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Media & Communications Manager Position directly supervises:
- § Masters degree, Mass Communications, Media/Portfolio Management or equivalent
b) Work Experience:
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience
c) Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent reporting writing skills in English
- Sound skills and experience of designing and implementing awareness and advocacy campaigns
- Fluent spoken English & Urdu
- Innovative & creative (with content development, generation and visualization)
- Excellent communication, reporting/documenting and analytical skills
- Proficient in qualitative analysis and documenting them into high quality analytical reports
- Computer skills including MS- Office, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks; proven self-initiative and problem solving abilities;
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to meet short deadlines.
- Knowledge of research methods, media management
- Ability to work under pressure
- Videography/Photography skills
d) Language Skills:
- Must be fluent in Urdu & English languages.
The IRC Core Values and Commitments
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
- IRC is committed to ensuring that IRC staff is suitable to work with children and have the knowledge s/he needs to uphold and abide by the IRC’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Level of interaction with children: Less frequent direct contact with children.
- IRC recognizes that gender equality is fundamental to the achievement of our organizational mission. As such, IRC is committed to the promotion of gender equality in all aspects of our operations and programs. Our organizational policies, procedures and actions demonstrate this commitment.
Women candidates from minorities group and women with disability are highly encouraged to apply.