The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been working in Pakistan for nearly 40 years and manages and delivers large complex programs to meet the needs in health, education, protection, environmental health and livelihoods for displaced, poor and disaster affected communities. IRC works in partnership with local government and non-governmental organizations and currently works in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, Baluchistan and Sindh provinces.
The IRC Pakistan country program is looking for a Deputy Director Operations (DDO) to provide strategic and pro-active leadership to maintain and improve effective support systems (supply chain, logistics, administration, IT and human resources). The DDO will be responsible for ensuring that all the necessary systems, policies and procedures are rolled out, understood, and implemented by the relevant staff in all program areas. In addition, he/she will assist in the overall management of the organization, by contributing to the development and achievement of the strategic objectives as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
S/he will provide technical supervision to the operations staff in the field offices. The DDO will report to the Country Director and will work closely with the Regional Directors of HR, Supply Chain and IT.
Strategic Planning and Management
- Participate in Human Resource, Administration, Supply Chain and IT’s strategic development planning and problem-solving activities
- Participate in IRC Pakistan’s strategic planning process ensuring integration and implementation of the operational components of the strategic plan
- Participate in the development and/or review of new proposals, operating plans and strategic plans ensuring that the views of field staff are captured and reflected wherever appropriate.
- Assist in the implementation of operational improvements within all Logistics, IT and HR/Administration departments to enhance the organization’s ability to implement programs, strengthen donor relations and improve organization-wide activities
- Develop relationships with IRC’s regional and HQ departments and colleagues for technical assistance across all Pakistan’s Logistics, IT and Human Resources/Administration functions as needed.
Supply Chain Management
- Direct supervision of the Sr. Supply Chain Coordinator and oversight of all Supply Chain staff; ensuring that team meets the programs' needs promptly while aligning with IRC policies
- Work with staff to develop and implement appropriate coordination mechanisms to guarantee that all operational units are interacting well with each other, as well as with the Regional Unit and Global Supply Chain
- Assist staff in partnering effectively and cooperatively with other program units, including supporting program staff with procurement planning and identification of operational support needs
- Provide inputs, including operational risk analysis, and recommendations to the SMT related to operations spending and effectiveness of in-country reporting and planning systems
- Undertake periodic system reviews of procurement, assets, warehouse/inventory, suppliers, and vendor contracts to verify that policies are adhered to and to identify areas for improvement.
- Correctly identify the risks IRC faces in its work and mitigate against to the degree feasible in the context
- Lead and ensure an efficient management of IRC’s fleet across all locations
- Lead and maintain up-to-date and comprehensive inventory management and warehousing as per organizational and industry standards
Human Resource Management
- Oversee IRC Pakistan’s HR and Administrative function
- Verify that human resources policies and procedures are documented, disseminated, and consistently applied across the country program.
- Ensure that compliance monitoring processes are developed and effectively implemented.
- Ensure that IRC Pakistan’s staff recruitment is executed efficiently, through transparent, rigorous, and soundly justified procedures, and in compliance to national labor law and IRC policy.
- Provide leadership support for the successful implementation of and adherence to the IRC Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Provide support to the HR Lead in the roll out of IRC global HR initiatives.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Lead with commitment, integrity, and accountability to the “IRC Way” – Global Standards for Professional Conduct
- Oversee the implementation of a training, development, and retention plan for all staff.
- Assist in the planning and identification of IRC staffing needs (national & international).
- Ensure that the IRC Way and Mandatory Reporting Policies are is rolled out to all staff, beneficiaries, partners, suppliers & contractors.
- Work with regional and global departments and colleagues to ensure staff well-being through advancement of Duty of Care agenda.
- Ensure that global information technology policies and procedures are communicated and consistently applied
- Ensure that IT develops and effectively implements compliance monitoring processes
- Support the IT staff to provide effective IT services and support to the Country Office and across all field sites
- Update IT policy and procedures and ensure implementation of these through the IT Coordinator.
- Ensure that all IT equipment is maintained, are secure and an appropriate replacement schedule is in place.
- Ensure all IT services, hardware and software are regularly maintained and review all new/replacement hardware/software needs with the IT Coordinator.
- Ensure all IT infrastructure is progressively suitable to support all IRC program and operational needs.
- Assist DDP and Head of Offices/Field Office Managers to maintain field office control and efficiency.
- Support the management of operations at field offices, ensuring they meet the needs of programs through effective management.
- Provide updated information to the CD on regular basis
- Consult with and make recommendations together with the Head of Offices to the CD on field operations and administrative issues
- Maintain effective and agile structures with right skillsets across the country and filed office operations’ functions
Budget and Finance
- Lead operating budget for operation functions and ensure spending by budget holders is timely, on budget and compliant.
- Maintain close working relations with the Finance Controller and DDP to ensure coordinated Pakistan operations inputs during budget development, including a capital equipment replacement plan, and ensure additional funding is sourced to address any budget shortfalls.
- As requested by the Country Director, provide input to audit issues and corrective action plans.
Strategic Action Plan (SAP)
- Participate; contribute and be the focal person for operations sector for SAP development by ensuring that a realistic and humanitarian perspective underlies the strategic plan for Pakistan Country Program.
- Communicate and assist on the IRC Strategy across the country program team.
- Actively Participate in decision-making process as member of the SAP steering committee for the country program.
- Lead on maintaining and improving timely and effective Country Ops Scorecard reviews, analyses and engagements.
Key Working Relationships: SMT, Sector heads, Head of Officers, Regional Directors of HR, SC & IT, IPs and Govt counterparts
Position Reports to: Country Director
Position directly supervises: HR lead, SC lead, IT lead
· Master’s degree in business administration, International Program Development, or relevant disciplines
b) Work Experience:
· Minimum 5 years of leadership and management experience on a similar position in an international NGO
· Previous experience working in emergency or post-disaster contexts.
· Knowledge of IRC procedures and policies and donors’ regulations (ECHO, DFID, BPRM, USAID, etc.).
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Solid organizational skills: ability to be flexible & work well under pressure in a fast-paced multi-task team environment.
· Strong Computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, Access, and email/internet software.
Language Skills: Have fluent spoken and written Urdu and English languages
· Willingness to travel outside Islamabad to field sites under demanding conditions.
· Proactiveness and solution-oriented approach
· Creative and out of the box thinking
The IRC Core Values and Commitments.
· The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
· IRC is committed to ensuring that IRC staff is suitable to work with children and have the knowledge s/he needs to uphold and abide by the IRC’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
o Level of interaction with children: Frequent direct contact with children
· IRC ensures that its staff must actively practice the roles and responsibilities related to client responsiveness, accountability to people in affected communities and must have competencies to solicits and listens to feedback and other’s perspectives, responds to feedback with maturity and sensitivity and takes appropriate decisions and makes changes to behavior or actions in response to feedback.
· IRC recognizes that gender equality is fundamental to the achievement of our organizational mission. As such, IRC is committed to the promotion of gender equality in all aspects of our operations and programs. Our organizational policies, procedures and actions demonstrate this commitment.
Women candidates and persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.