The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is an international, research-for-development organization focusing on the sustainable use of water and land resources in developing countries, with its headquarters in Colombo, Sri Lanka and regional offices across Asia and Africa.
IWMI has been awarded the opportunity to implement a 5-year, USAID-funded project titled Water Management for Enhanced Productivity (WMfEP), which supports socio-economic development and political stability in the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). The project aims to reduce constraints to productive and sustainable use of water for agricultural production at the Gomal Zam irrigation scheme. The improved water governance and management in KP and the FATA will enable increased farm household income and improved livelihoods to contribute to socio-economic development and political stability in the project areas.
THE PERSON AND THE JOB:
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for updating and implementing the Water Management for Enhanced Productivity (WMfEP) activity Marking Plan. The incumbent will also develop and implement the activity Communication (branding) Strategy. The Communication Specialist will ensure that WMfEP outputs are of high quality and conform to the WMfEP Marking Plan and providing extensive support wherever required to the WMfEP team. The Communications Specialist will ensure the WMfEP Communication Strategy is implemented such that lessons learned and success stories reach out to key stakeholders and the public to promote and highlight the work and goals of the WMfEP Project. The candidate will take a proactive role to disseminate messages about the activity to the widest possible target audience, nationally and internationally including but not limited to the project’s stakeholders such as the Government of Pakistan, IWMI and USAID.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, update and implement the WMfEP Communications Plan and all periodic (weekly, monthly, quarterly communications material) to conform to all USAID guidelines and requirements.
- Develop, update and implement the WMfEP Branding to conform to all USAID guidelines and requirements.
- Review, revise, edit all Task Reports with material provided by Task Leads to conform to the WMfEP Marking Plan.
- Develop activity briefs and activity poster/infographics, fact sheets, success stories to conform to the WMfEP Marking Plan.
- Proactively develop cutting-edge media materials, including videos and social media products stories to conform to the WMfEP Marking Plan.
- Commission, supervise, develop videos of field activities and project events for the marketing of the project and showcasing to USAID
- Coordinate all external outreach on the project to the Government of Pakistan and other stakeholders in consultation with USAID.
- Field and respond to incoming requests for information, talking points, messaging, etc. from project staff, USAID and counterparts. Participate and represent WMfEP at USAID/stakeholder events.
- Develop ad-hoc communication material on issues and topics in the water field for diverse audiences including the USAID, the GoP, and internal staff to be used for written and verbal communications and social media.
- Provide communication support at events including preparation of press releases, announcements, social media posts and organize for photography and videography as required.
- Solicit information from the researchers to develop WMfEP communications material.
- Organize outreach materials to ensure there are enough products on hand to be responsive to USAID Mission staff, Chief of Party and IWMI Headquarters.
- Maintain a database of partner lists, photo archives, presentations, site visit kits, press kits, etc. for the WMfEP project.
- Write press releases, speeches, and talking points as required by the Chief of Party.
- Write and organize background briefings for media.
- Prepare and update a standard information package on the USAID WMfEP project for briefing and for distribution to the public and the media.
- Contribute to building positive relationships with the government, civil society and other stakeholders.
- Provide support in preparing project reports according to the USAID branding and marking guidelines to the research staff at IWMI and its field office.
- Undertake relevant assignments as requested by the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party from time-to-time.
- Raise the profile of IWMI’s work in Pakistan by developing and coordinating media relationships in the country; support development of brochures and success stories; support IWMI’s participation in regional events; contribute to IWMI’s social media accounts; and providing stories for IWMI Today.
- Maintain regular contact with the IWMI Communications and Knowledge Management Team at HQ and follow the guidance provided by the Global Head CKM.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- A bachelor’s degree in the field of communications, public relations or a related field and at least 4 years of relevant work experience in the field of public relations and corporate communications, demonstrating increasing responsibilities and knowledge OR;
- A bachelor’s degree in the field of communications, public relations or a related field and Masters level in a related field of journalism, communications or public relations is advantageous. And at least 2 years of relevant work experience in the field of public relations and corporate communications, demonstrating increasing responsibilities and knowledge.
- Highly developed skills in MS Office software (particularly Word, PowerPoint, Excel), and media software packages (i.e. Photoshop, video editing software) is required.
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and YouTube (preferably for organizational outreach) is required.
- The successful candidate must be capable of crafting information messages in various media formats (press releases, websites, video, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences. Working knowledge of media relations, publishing and events planning fields is required.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Ability to deliver project outputs on time with guidance from the supervisor/project leader.
- Ability to interact effectively with officials in other agencies.
- Knowledge of diversity, inclusion, discrimination and gender issues in Pakistan.
- Respect and practice organizational values and work with professional integrity.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to demonstrate effective teamwork skills.
- Well-developed personal organization and priority setting skills.
- Sell developed skills in project/service delivery.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills.A demonstrable high level of autonomy, initiative, expert judgment, adaptability, and flexibility.
- Demonstrable skills in leading and managing people.
- Self-motivated with strong work ethics and professionalism.
This is a nationally recruited position and all applicants must be eligible to work in Pakistan. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a transport allowance, medical insurance for self and eligible dependents, as well as life, AD&D and long-term disability insurance. The duration of the contract will initially be for a period of 2 years with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds.
Applications will be received through 24.00 hrs IST on `17 January 2021 (Sunday).
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, a cover letter which addresses IWMI's requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees, who will be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.