Islamic Relief Pakistan Manager People & Culture– Pakistan/ Islamabad
BASE LOCATION: Islamabad
REPORTING TO: Country Director
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
Directly line Manage People & Culture Team based in country office and technical management of People & Culture team based in area offices.
PURPOSE OF DIVISION:
The People & Culture department manages the organization’s staff related matters from the start to the end of the employment relationship, as well as continuous learning and improvement. It does so through providing comprehensive HR and L&D services.
To advise on and implement full range of human resource and organizational development strategies necessary to support effective people management across Islamic Relief Pakistan operations. To promote high performing culture which is based on IR values in-line with IR Pakistan’s strategic goals.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Maintain a strong working relationship and offer a strong advisory service to the Country Director and Head of Programs. Lead to ensure that relationships are maintained with key areas of business including Supply Chain & Services, Internal Audit & other department/Area Managers, Area Finance/HR/SC & Services staff on HR matters.
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
This is a country management team position, who will strive to ensure the strategic objectives of Islamic Relief Pakistan. The role will manage the overall HR function of Islamic Relief Pakistan, which includes compliance of IR’s policies, review and revision of local HR policies and business processes to cater needs of stakeholders.
Responsibility for Resources
- The role has no direct budget responsibility, but will have input into budget planning & decisions related to HR to ensure expenditures are incurred according to donor guidelines and IRP financial guidelines.
- Required to guide, support and manage HR department staff including the Area/field HR Team.
- Regular reporting to management on the progress of statutory compliance , including handling of sensitive documents and information
- Access to confidential information(managing HR systems, project budgets, maintaining databases, publications, and reports)
Following are the main responsibilities that the role holder will be accountable for:
- As a member of the Country Management Team, lead/participate in strategic discussions and planning relating to the direction and progress as the Organization as a whole in IR Pakistan. Contributing input and ideas beyond the strict technical realm of own department.
- Engage and lead in operational planning needed to meet strategic needs in the Organization.
- Act as a model to lead on good practice, beyond confines of technical tasks.
- Representation to external actors in IR Pakistan, including other agencies, HR forums and Government.
HR Policy/ Strategy and Employment Law:
- Provide leadership on formulation, interpretation & implementation of HR policies, employee handbook and practices.
- Advise Line Managers and HR staff on HR business processes.
- Implement agreed HR best practice - legal responsibility relating to areas of Labor Law, etc.
- Collect, analyze and interpret information about changes in the operational environment and identify key HR issues for management’s attention.
- Working with HR Team on liaison, dialogue, communication and understanding of policies, and on the implementation of pay reviews
HR Business processes.
- Provide leadership and manage the IR Pakistan recruitment and induction processes in collaboration with other teams.
- Analyse recruitment trends and explore creative solutions to recruitment challenges
- Responsible for total reward management including collecting information, providing advice on policy, strategies and implementation to ensure retention.
- Manage the job grading & evaluation process.
- Provide line managers and staff with guidance on processes, capacity building and application of performance management.
- Provide Health and Safety advice and to proactively carry out risk assessments, including issues around staff health and welfare.
- Responsible for ensuring minimum standards as well as policies and procedures are maintained in emergencies.
- Support and implement organizational change. Provide leadership on HR issues related to change management as necessary.
- Support line managers in change management, organizational change, team building, and addressing organizational challenges.
- Collect, analyses and interpret information about changes in the operational environment and identify key HR issues for management’s attention.
- Provide & design proactive employee relations mechanism for the IR staff at all levels from field to Country office, including acting as a trusted HR advisor to the CO/AO management in order to build and maintain a high performing and engaged culture.
- Identify and implement opportunities to promote IR values based culture in which staff can raise their voice fearlessly and openly share ideas to improve the working environment. Assess current programs and propose innovative ways to improve existing ones.
- Monitor and track team member’s engagement through multiple approaches (surveys/focus groups etc.).
- Plan and organize the employee’s events and social calendar (off-sites, team building events, in-office events, sporting events etc.), manage and administer the IR’s culture/events budget.
Support line managers in developing and implementing people planning, succession planning and workforce planning.
- Manage the Islamabad based HR Coordinator & HRO and matrix manage other HR staff across Pakistan operations.
- Develop capacities of HR teams and line managers in HR business processes across the operation.
Learning and Development:
- Develop with HR Coordinator an annual country learning and development plan and lead on the implementation of this plan.
- Assist managers at all levels with ability to carry though performance development plans.
- Develop and Implement Training needs analysis.
- Work with HR Coordinator and managers on improved Performance management processes, including the timely implementation of performance management reviews and objective setting within organisational deadlines; supporting managers to be able to comfortably manage good and bad performance.
- Prepare annual budget for HR & OD function.
- Provide forecasts on budget and explore cost saving approaches/measures.
- Monitor and realign budget as required.
- Prepare quarterly / annually management reports in addition to reports on various HR process e.g. proposal on formulation of HR policies, Employees trainings/ planning etc.
- Oversee the management of HR records in accordance with standards & local legislation.
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief vision, mission, Safeguarding, PSEA and core values.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications (Bullet Points)
- Master Degree preferably in HR/OD/OB.
- Certification from SHRM, CIPD would be an added advantage.
- Substantial, proven HR experience, including recruitment, selection, performance management, reward, employee relations, change management, learning and development, diversity and exposure to organizational development at senior level.
- Understanding of the complexities of working in a multicultural environment.
- Initiative and motivation to work independently and develop solutions to problems. Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- A good communicator with strong written and reporting skills, and an excellent ability to influence others. Ability to manage and supervise finance and non-finance staff in multiple and remote locations.Strategies and planning.
- Organizational development
- Negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
- Commitment to IRW/IRP equal opportunity policy.
- Overall 12 years (with Master degree) / 15 years (with bachelor degree) of relevant experience.
- Ability to work independently and provide initiative in improving HR functions.
- To establish good working relationships with a variety of people.
Key Personal Qualities
- Strong emotional intelligence and resilience, and able to maintain composure - acting in a calm and measured way, in difficult situations.
- Strong & confident communication skills which delivers information persuasively and with clarity in a wide range of situations.
- Has a positive demeanor and disposition, and able to overcome setbacks by motivating self and others
- Has a learning attitude and a continuous improvement philosophy.