Main responsible in the provision, observance and control over daily activity of msf’s clinical laboratory at project level.
When and if applicable, gives support to moh lab counterpart regarding lab-related activities relevant to msf’s programs.
Internal lab quality control should be strictly observed aside from the performance of clinical laboratory activities in full compliance and agreement with msf lab protocols, sops, benchmarking and other relevant guidelines.
Performs microscopy analysis on the following:
A1. TB Microscopy
A2. Malaria Microscopy
A3. Leishmaniasis Microscopy
- Ensures that proper specimen collection is adhered to
- Ensures that proper staining techniques/procedures are done as required
- Disposes of specimen properly per HCWM guidelines
- Ensures proper care and maintenance of the microscope
2. CHEMISTRY (semi) AUTOMATED
- Performs biochemical lab tests to include serum creatinine, blood glucose, liver function tests, bilirubin, urea, etc.
- Control testing to be done per protocol regularly
- Disposes of specimen properly per HCWM guideline
- Performs blood tests to include complete blood counts and differential counts
- Ensures proper disposal of blood specimen per HCWM guidelines
4. BLOOD BANK & BLOOD SCREENING
- Measures Hb and performs blood grouping, infection screening (blood transmitted) and crosshatching.
- ONLY issues compatible and safe blood units.
- Fills in and signs the blood unit delivery form.
- Manages the blood stock and complete the registers.
- Orders, receives and screens blood units from external sources.
- Ensures proper storage of blood units.
- Checks that the cold chain is functioning properly (including temperature monitoring).
- BREACH IN LAB COLD CHAIN: ALL items to be quarantined immediately until further notice
- Notifies MTL ASAP
- MTL will inform mission pharmacist ASAP
- Mission pharmacist will inform PHD in Amsterdam
- Mission pharmacist will give RECOMMENDATIONS for the next steps to be undertaken
- MTL will inform logistics in-charge of the APPROVED RECOMMENDATIONS
- Blood Bank Register: Fills in the register and reports the information monthly to the lab manager
COMPLIANCE TO PROTOCOLS:
- Performs all tests as agreed by MSF and MoH in MSF laboratories according to MSF protocols and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Follows and maintains all safety procedures/universal precautions and waste management protocols in the laboratory
- Carries all activities in a clean, hygienic way and practice according to universal infection prevention
- Maintains and promotes a good attitude and proper manner towards patients, their attendants and the medical staff, within the laboratory team.
ADMIN / LOGISTICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Makes the monthly and weekly consumption of the medical/lab items used in the laboratory and liaise with project medical supply responsible (MSR) as well as Country Lab Manager for the weekly and monthly stock requests for laboratory.
- Ensures the presence of all necessary laboratory stock and inventory as instructed.
- Makes orders/requests on time in the correct way as instructed
- Alerts MSR of potential expiries or ruptures in advance
- Ensure proper maintenance/safety of lab equipment
DATA AND REPORTING RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reports results to patients or appropriate staff member within MSF health facility ASAP
- Makes complete and accurate entries of all laboratory tests performed in the appropriate registration books
- Completes all necessary accurate recording of consumption data and submit to MTL.
- Completes records for quality control as instructed by Country Lab Manager
- Submits monthly Standard Indicator Reports (SIR) to Country Lab Manager
- Ensures clean and safe environment for patients and staff
- Complies with MSF Health Care Waste Management, hygiene and sterilization procedures. Be flexible to respond to any emergency task
- Responsible for MSF equipment and materials and their correct use
- Carries out any additional task or activity requested by the National Laboratory or Senior Project or Expat Doctor as needed.
SPECIFIC CODE OF CONDUCT:
- Ensures no action or omission on his/her part places the patient at risk, including referring to others when she has reached the limit of his/her experience
- Does not accept gifts or money from his/her patients or their family for care provided.
- Upholds good medical practice, updates his/her knowledge regularly by reading and training.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all time and respect patients as much as possible.
- Promotes the policies and protocols of MSF; refrain from practicing out of regular working station and organization. Should not prescribe medications outside these policies for local purchase from the bazaar.
- Respects the rights of the Patients and caretakers in his/her care to be informed before any procedure or medication is given and the right to decline care or treatment, and the right to have a female family member for support.
- Maintains and promote a good attitude and proper manner towards patients, their attendants and the medical staff,
- Upholds universal precautions at all times during their practice in MSF medical facility
Education: Laboratory technician (2 years) diploma. (Exception: 1 year diploma from recognized medical institutes of Baluchistan).
- Desirable experience in laboratory
Language: Satisfactory level of English, proficient in Urdu and any other relevant local languages
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Good interpersonal & communication, respectful behavior and honest, organized, disciplines work attitude
- Ability to work under stress and in difficult circumstances
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in other MSF locations in remote areas with marginalized communities, in case of emergencies to work longer hours, extra days to meet the needs of the program.
- Capacity to work in a multidisciplinary and international team
- Commitment to humanitarian values as outlined in the MSF Charter
- No contractual commitment with any other organization.