SUPPORTING SKILLED PERSONNEL. To assist in general nursing/medical activities and over-all patient care (including paramedical activities) in the different medical departments/services, as follows: (IF APPLICABLE)
1. In-patient department (IPD): OBs/Nursery/Paeds/Isolation Room
2. Out-patient department (OPD): ANC/PNC/EPI
3. Emergency Room (ER) and/or Triage
4. Delivery/Labour Room: Birthing Unit
5. Nutritional/Therapeutic Program: ITFC/ATFC
7. Outreach Activities/Mobile Clinic
All day-to-day medical activities are done in close collaboration, supervision and/or monitoring with the direct or functional supervisors present.
All medical activities are done in accordance to MSF protocols/guidelines, universal precautions/hygiene standards as well as other medical indications respecting medical ethics.
- Ensures clean, safe environment and well-organized ward/room/cup boards for patients, attendants and staff
- Ensures the proper use and maintenance up-keep of all MSF equipments/apparatus and materials used in the different medical services and activities
- Promotes good compliance together with the rest of the staff the proper implementation of MSF HCWM/WATSAN requirements and infection control measures in the clinic/hospital.
- Assists the nurse and the rest of the medical team on duty with general nursing activities and over-all patient care according to MSF protocol and the given instructions UNDER STRICT SUPERVISION/MONITORING OF A NURSE, A SUPERVISOR, MTL OR MEDICAL OFFICER:
- Ensures the proper control of patients/attendants during consultations and/or while admitted
- Ensures proper monitoring of the vital signs (BP, HR, PR, Temp, Wt) as baseline during consultation/admission and monitoring in the ward as per doctor’s order
- Ensures anthropometric measurements (MUAC, weight, height) are done properly and recorded accurately as required (aside from the common vital signs)
- Ensures proper assistance of patients with toileting and hygiene needs, including catheter care, changing bed linen and bed making, personal hygiene and ensuring patients comfort
- Nursing care for the stable patients like feeding, temperature and vital signs monitoring
- Provides the ORAL dietary and fluid intake prescriptions accordingly and to exercise ASPIRATIONS PRECUATIONS AT ALL TIMES
- Provides correct ORAL medications and ensures accurate administration according to prescription
- Assists patients with mobility and moving or transporting patients within the hospital
- Cold sponging of the patients when required
- Prepares necessary materials & meds to assists in wound care if needed – and do after care
- Cleans medical equipments/apparatus immediately after their use and maintains them properly when NOT in use in close collaboration with WATSAN/HCWM/Biomedic activities (e.g. incubators, photo-therapy machine, weighing scales, ambu-bag, etc)
- Assists nursing staff and other medical team during any emergency in the ward
- Assists in the isolation room and daily care
- Assist in the transfer of laboratory samples from the patients including urine, blood and stools and including follow up of lab results.
The following tasks should be done strictly under supervision AND IN THE PRESENCE OF A NURSE,SUPERVISOR OR MEDICAL OFFICER:
- TRIAGE. Attends to patients according to their medical needs based on the severity of their illness. IMMEDIATELY ASSIST and call the ATTENTION OF NURSE/SUPERVISOR-ON-DUTY if there is a very serious patient (attend to this patient first) and accompany to the consultation room/ER or in the ward.
- I/O. Assists in the measurement of fluid intake (IV and oral) and output, record and report to Nurse/Supervisor-On-Duty for I & O balance monitoring
- INCUBATOR SET-UP. Assists in the set up temperature and/or regulate the temperature of the incubator (depending on the condition of the patients) per instructions
- NGT Feeding. Assists in the provision of prescribed dietary and fluid intake per NG tube with strict observance of ASPIRATION PRECAUTIONS
- IV Insertions. Assists in the insertion of IV cannula respecting aseptic technique at all times; assists in regulating IV drops per instructions and regularly inspecting correct rate and proper cannula placement; IMMEDIATELY CALL THE ATTENTION OF NURSE-ON-DUTY IF there is clogged/not-in-placed cannula
- Applies warm/cold compresses and/or do regular dressing to affected/infected cannula insertion sites
- Assists in the preparations and administration of medications per orem or for IV/IM injections
- Assists in the preparations/initiation for any blood transfusion
- Assists in the close monitoring of patients receiving blood transfusions
- Assists in the close monitoring of patients receiving oxygen inhalation
- Assists in the close monitoring of patients under CPAP
- Assists in resuscitation of the patient
Administration, Reporting and Data Collection:
- Ensures the recording and reporting of correct/accurate data, as required/requested by the supervisor/Nurse-On-Duty or Medical Officer
- Assists in the preparations of oral meds; counting the correct #s of tablets; the correct name of the patient to ensure proper dose and dosage as prescribed by the Medical Officer
- Also ensures Direct Observation of Treatment (DOT) for all oral medications and immediately reports non-compliance or non-tolerance of the medications given
- Attend required trainings, workshops, lectures etc. in service (MSF) or externally (MoH accredited) that are TASKS ORIENTED: TRIAGE, RESUSCITATION, V/S measurements, I/O measurement; NGT feeding, preventive maintenance, etc
- Perform other duties in special circumstances or weekend duties if needed, as deemed necessary by his/ her supervisor, nurse supervisor, medical doctor and/or medical team leader
Specific Code of Conduct:
- Ensures no action or omission that places the patient at risk, including referring to others when she has reached the limit of her/his experience
- Does not accept gifts or money from her/his patients or their family for care provided.
- Upholds good medical practice, updates her/his knowledge regularly by reading and training.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all time and respect patients as much as possible.
- Helps promote the policies and protocols of MSF
- Refrains from practicing out of regular working station and organization
- Should NOT prescribe/advice medications for the patients/attendants
- Respect the rights of the patients and caretakers/attendants under her/his care
- To inform them BEFORE any procedure or medication is done/given
- Their right to decline care or treatment,
- Their right to have a female family member for support.
- Maintains and promotes a good attitude and proper manner towards patients, their attendants and the medical staff
- Upholds universal precautions at all times during their practice in MSF medical facility.
Education: HSCC (12 years of education)
- One year Certificate (Assistant Nurse / Medical technician) from Nursing School or faculty recognized by Pakistan Nursing Council
- Desirable: experience as Nurse Assistant or in a relevant area with MSF or in an NGO or in a hospital
Language: Satisfactory level of English, proficient in Urdu and any other relevant local languages
- Essential Basic clinical skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, respectful behavior, honesty
- Good health condition
- Capacity to work in a multidisciplinary and international team.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in other MSF locations if necessary, in remote areas with marginalized communities, in case of emergencies to work longer hours, extra days to meet the needs of the program.
- Commitment to humanitarian values as outlined in the MSF Charter
- No contractual committment with any other organization.