Know perfectly, respect, and ensure strict compliance to MSF guidelines, standards, policies, and procedures for the mission, in particular related to financial management: MSF chart of accounts, MSF financial guideline, MSF standards for accounting quality (paper and electronic), MSF purchasing / validation / payment procedures for the mission, Cash security rules for the mission (cash holding limits for safe and petty cash, security envelopes, cash movement, currency exchange, advances), National tax regulation and other legal requirements from the local government.
Invoice and Payment management
- Process payments to suppliers / service providers / staff in a strict but swift manner, in accordance with the MSF OCA purchasing and payment procedures for the mission.
- Perform correct calculation and declaration of all relevant taxes according to local legal obligations and in the requested formats when preparing and processing invoices / payments.
- Ensure quality and accuracy of data-entry in Unifield for all journals managed: daily encoding, consistency with receipts, accurate use of chart of accounts, respect of standard encoding guidelines for descriptions, etc.
- Ensure that all vouchers are in accordance with MSF OCA standards, properly presented and stamped, include all relevant & required validation signatures and supporting documents.
- Ensure strict compliance with cash control procedures for each cashbox / currency: cashbook updated immediately at every single transaction IN/OUT, daily cash count, weekly cash inventory including reconciliation with Unifield entries.
- Strictly follow cash security rules.
- Investigate any cash discrepancy, report to Finance Coordinator if cause not identified.
- Report immediately any litigious / suspicious voucher / receipt / document to the Finance Coordinator.
- Ensure proper filing and archiving of all accounting documents, according to MSF OCA standards
- Implement feedback and recommendations received from Finance Manager and Finance Coordinator, provide required information when vouchers are incomplete or invalid.
- Monitor cash balance levels, anticipate short-term needs (payments, advances) and request relevant cash transfers or withdrawals to Finance Coordinator to avoid any shortage.
- Ensure follow-up of all cash advances, ensure that advance book is always updated immediately, and issuance and settlement comply with procedures.
- Follow-up closely refunds to be claimed & reimbursed (private phone calls, food expenses, etc).
- Prepare all journals managed directly for monthly closing, respecting deadlines.
- Check all entries against vouchers, prepare all original paper accounting documents, including reconciliations and printing of all journals.
- Complete cash inventory.
- Ensure timely monthly scanning and transmission of electronic copies to HQ for the whole mission.
Support to projects
- Review and send feedback to project accountants on all BKK softcopies submitted to capital, with respect to conformance with MSF policies and procedures.
- Check every single voucher from the field and verify completeness of monthly bookkeeping hardcopies sent to capital, send feedback to each project accountant in case vouchers are incomplete or invalid, request corrections and missing documents.
- Regularly visit the fields, providing coaching and guidance, following the field visit plan agreed with Finance Manager and Finance Coordinator, write field visit report, act as a back-up of project accountants during their absence if requested.
- Provide guidance to project accountants on questions related to accounting procedures and tax compliance.
- Report issues and improvement needs to the Finance Coordinator.
- Perform correct calculation and declaration of all relevant taxes according to local legal obligations and in the requested formats (social contributions, employer charges, taxes on services, VAT, import duties, licenses, etc), ensure timely payment and proper filing of all tax-related documents (including periodic declarations / supporting documents / proofs of payments).
- Input, review and ensure the accuracy and quality of the QuickBook entries / import files on a regular basis.
- Maintain responsibility within the mission for the annual preparation of the trial balance within QuickBooks and any associated reconciliation to Unifield for external audit purposes.
- Within QuickBooks, create and maintain all balance sheet as well as any associated bank reconciliation / foreign exchange transactions as required for external audit purposes.
- Liaise with the external audit firm during the course of the audit; ensure all required documentation is supplied to the auditor under the supervision of the Finance Coordinator and Finance Manager as designated.
Upload on-line payments and prepare cheque payments, transfer requests and bank reconciliations for all bank accounts directly managed.
Perform currency exchange transactions to ensure availability of cash, after approval by Finance Coordinator and according to the country exchange policy.
Prepare transfers to projects according to need.
Follow-up closely utilities and other recurrent expenses, maintain basic tables, perform basic statistics / cost analysis.
Immediately inform finance manager / coordinator of any problem or issue arising in the course of the work.
Perform any additional specific task required by his/her supervisor
- Minimum Bachelor degree in accounting, economy, finance or related field
- At least 2 years of experience in accounting or equivalent with MSF or an INGO or other sector (e.g. private company).
- Proficient in English and Urdu, desirable: command of any other relevant local language
Good computer literacy (word, excel, internet)
- Familiar with accounting and financial tools, very at ease with numbers, good logic, able to produce tables / statistics / basic cost analysis, able to identify and report risks and problems, good knowledge of Excel, able to understand, comply strictly and explain procedures.
- Rigorous, detail-oriented, very well organized, strong sense of personal integrity, result-oriented committed to excellence
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in other MSF locations in remote areas with marginalized communities, in case of emergencies to work longer hours, extra days to meet the needs of the program.
- Capacity to work in a multidisciplinary and international team.
- Commitment to humanitarian values as outlined in the MSF Charter