The Pharmacy Store Keeper (Medical) works in the medical department and will be responsible for the Central Pharmacy. They are responsible for providing accurate Medical Consumptions and will acts as medical focal person between medical and logistic person in the project. The core role the Pharmacy Store Keeper (Medical) is to organize and run efficiently the central pharmacy in accordance with MSF supply guidelines. S/He is responsible for dispensing medical items to the individual units. S/He and to monitor the medical and lab items consumption and pharmacy stock once the stocks are out from the main medical stores (which are managed by the logs).
Ensure to have an adequate pharmacy stocks through maintenance of consumption, ordering and forecasting systems according to MSF guidelines.
Under the instruction of Mission Pharmacist /MTL ensure proper quality of medical pharmacies in the project
Organization and management:
- Give guidance to MSF teams on the medical supply chain including daily and weekly drugs request from different departments, check in relation to daily and weekly consumption and propose final order to MTL for approval.
- Responsible for the monitoring of the expiries of the medical stock ONLY once the stock is out from the main medical stores and organize to get the expired drugs and give them back to logistics for safe disposal.
- Organize the central pharmacy with the implementation of daily consumption /stock card system.
- Prepares and places monthly medical orders/requests to the Medical Store in coordination with medical team leader/medical team in the project.
- Dispense medication to Hospital Units according to medical prescription & MSF Protocols on Daily and weekly basis.
- Ensure the medication is properly labeled with the correct drug name, strength, quantity, expiry date, ONLY provide medicines corresponding to the prescription
- Adhere to MSF practice policies and procedures for dispensing medicines, in particular those relating to controlled drugs.
- Organizes and keep clean the central pharmacy
- Ensures cleanliness and care in handling medicines to avoid contamination and mix-up.
- Maintains minimum stock levels of medicines, checking expiry dates and storage conditions.
- Ensures NO medicines or material are taken out of the dispensary without authorization
- Preparation of 4 monthly medical forecasts in coordination with medical team leader/medical team in the project.
- Manage implementation of new systems, guidance of staff concerning consumption, request and stock counts.
- Organize the central pharmacy and other temporary storage sites of medical items and medical (including laboratory services, and ATFP sites) once they left the logistically managed medical stores.
- Organize, monitor and supervise the proper functioning of cold-chain systems and inform any breeches to the MTL/MTL-assistant and mission pharmacist immediately
Human Resource Management:
- Give on the job trainings to various departments on accurate recording of the consumption figures on daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Liaise and collaborate with medical and logistic supervisors on day to day activities in order to ensure smooth functioning of the project level supply system
Monitoring and reporting:
- Responsible for the quality of the daily, weekly and monthly consumption reports and maintenance of correct updates on regular basis. .
- In the absence of the data encoder, the Pharmacy Store keeper will also be responsible for the day to day activities of this position.
- Monitor and analyze the daily and weekly consumption figures and give feedback to the MTL.
- Make a written one page narrative report on the key activities done in the previous month. and forecast for the following month regarding to the medical consumption and supply
- Monitor prescriptions of, locked and well maintained and storage of, regulated drugs that are out of the medical store
- Attend monthly TSR (Total Stock Review) meetings with logistics and give medical inputs on the expiry control, use of overstock items, potentially rupture items, comparison of real medical consumption versus estimated monthly consumption and give feedback to the logistics.
- Be a focal person from medical team for medical supplies in the project.
- Respond to medical /outreach team on any supply related issue in consultation with Supervisor
- Works in the Central Pharmacy for the smooth running of day to day Dispensing activities.
- Travel to MSF supported health facilities within the project site
- Report any gaps in provision of medications or misuse of MSF pharmacy supply immediately to expat supervisor
- Essential, 2 years bachelor diploma
- Desirable: recognized nurse degree.
Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s
Languages: Local language essential. Mission language desirable
- At least more than one year experience (within MSF or similar organizations).
- The person knows the system of MoH drug ordering and supply flow.
- Good command in both English and local language has an added advantage.
- Good knowledge and skills using MS Excel and Word.
- Communicate clearly both with staff and supervisor
- Supervisory skills.
- Good organizer.
- Previous work experience in a similar role with other organizations.
- Basic management skills.
- Flexibility and able to take initiative and common sense when required.
- Willingness to learn, develop capacities and take responsibilities