The Ethics & Internal Controls Manager will serve as the Mercy Corps Pakistan focal point for ensuring compliance with Mercy Corps’ Code of Conduct and ethics policies and procedures. He/She will examine, review, and analyze records, reports, financial information and management practices to ensure compliance with laws, regulations and Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures and will investigate potential violations of the Code of Conduct with an emphasis on fraud, corruption, bribery, human trafficking, and whistleblowing policy, etc. The Ethics & Internal Controls Manager will assist the country management team in developing, implementing and monitoring effective financial and operational controls over activities and offices to mitigate risk
Essential Job Functions Code of Conduct and ethics related policies
Training and Awareness on Code of Conduct and ethics related policies
· Assist the Senior Management Team in determining effective and efficient solutions to operational issues that ensure compliance with Mercy Corps’ policies and donor regulations, mitigate the risk of fraud and corruption, and also facilitate the achievement of program objectives.
· Assist program, operations and finance teams with implementing standard procedures or, as necessary, developing and documenting enhanced procedures for high-risk program activities, in particular those providing a direct financial benefit to participants (e.g. vouchers, cash distributions), requiring high value procurement, or the distribution of in-kind goods.
· In coordination with the senior management team and program managers, maintain the country-level Risk Register to identify key risks and document strategies to mitigate these risks. Manage the quarterly update process and ensure communication of action plans.
· In coordination with relevant teams, perform periodic internal control reviews of in-country financial, procurement, human resource, and logistics procedures in both the main country office and field offices. In coordination with program and MEL teams, conduct field reviews of program activities to ensure that adequate controls are in place and are functioning properly. Communicate findings and work with the relevant departments to correct weaknesses and improve controls as needed.
· As agreed with the program and finance teams, advise on the development of monitoring plans for partners, including sub-recipients, key vendors and other partners that must adhere to ethics policies. In coordination with relevant teams, perform periodic compliance reviews of partners.
· In coordination with the senior management team and HQ Finance, assist with the follow up and resolution of external audit or Mercy Corps internal audit findings.
· Conduct spot checks on the cash distributions from time to time, and report any deviations and recommendations.
Perform other related special projects and duties as determined and assigned by management.
Supervisory Responsibility None Accountability
· Reports Directly To: Country Director
· Works Directly With: HQ Ethics teams, the senior management team, Director of Programs, Team Leader (South), Finance Manager, Operations Manager, Program teams, HR Officer, CARM Coordinator
Knowledge and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, international development, or a related field is required; advanced degree is a plus.
· 5 years+ related work experience with a not-for-profit organization implementing development and humanitarian programs.
· Relevant experience in compliance, program audits, fraud investigation, or implementing Code of Conduct and ethics related policies.
· Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designations are preferred.
· Solid understanding of a wide-range of ethics violations, including fraud, corruption and human trafficking in humanitarian and/or development settings; Understanding of best practice in ethics management and accountability within INGOs, including best practices for investigations of ethical violations.
· Relevant experience in monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning will be an added advantage.
· Demonstrated experience in successfully working with administrative and program staff at all organizational levels.
· Demonstrated experience in financial and operational data analysis.
· Excellent report writing skills.
· Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
· Fluent written and oral communication in English; knowledge of local languages will be preferred
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interview. Organization reserves the right to accept or reject any or all CV(s) without assigning any reason.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer.