Program Background Summary:
Pakistan Reading Project (PRP) is five year USAID funded project starting in June 2013 to support the provincial and regional Departments of Education (DoE) throughout Pakistan to improve reading skills of at least 1.3 million children in grade one and two. The project will achieve this goal through three major but interrelated initiatives that are working together to affect the quality of primary education, teacher education, policy reforms, and community engagement to re-establish a national culture of reading in Pakistan. The result will be improved reading and assessment of 23,800 teachers in 23,800 public schools with improved skills in teaching reading; 3,649 scholarships for ADE and B.Ed (Hons) students; and mobile bus libraries reaching out to 300 communities. PRP anticipates that 2.5 million children will be able to read at a level commensurate with standards at their grade level.
The District Program Manager will provide leadership and overall management support to the Pakistan reading project district office.
- Develop and maintain strong coordination with key stakeholders in the district e.g. district administration, education department, and other line departments for successful and sustainable implementation of projects initiatives.
- Manage in-service professional development activities in the district (that include face-to-face trainings, follow-ups and roll out of TIG activities).
- Ensure administrative and logistic support required to implement program activities in the district.
- Lead district based staff in detailed weekly/monthly planning including field travels/school visits while adhering to quarterly/annual/LoP work plan targets and indicators.
- Participate in the recruitment of School Support Associates and other district staff as per HR recruitment policies and guidelines
- Under the guidance of Technical Coordinator, supervise district based staff that include School Support Associates and Admin. & Finance Officer etc. and appraises their performance as scheduled.
- Develop and submit monthly cash projection against program activities, support district based procurement (as needed)
- Ensure maintaining and updating of financial and compliance records/matters.
- Support the district, provincial and national offices in undertaking monitoring and data collection of work plan activities and participate in various surveys conducted in the district
- Prepare and submit district level monthly, quarterly and annual reports and maintain updates to be shared with his/her supervisor and the provincial team on a regular or as and when required basis.
- Compile success stories from the field and undertake case studies to highlight impact of the project.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Technical Coordinator Position directly supervises: Reading Quality Associates
Indirect Reporting: NA Other Internal and/or external contacts:.
Master in social sciences or other relevant fields – (a bachelor or master degree in education will be preferred)
- Have at least 05 years of experience in:
- Managing a district level office of an INGO/LNGO preferably in education development projects (experience with PRP or USAID funded project will be preferred)
- Managing and supervising field based training programs particularly for elementary/ primary teachers and other professional development activities.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to model best practices in mentoring district based team for successful program implementation.
- Ability to manage and adhere to strict timelines
- Strong interpersonal and coordination skills
- Strong information sharing and report writing skills.
- Strong people management and conflict resolution skills
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written in Urdu and English (Knowledge of local languages will be an additional asset)
Certificates or Licenses:
Strong computer skills in MS office