· Diagnose and treat diseases of the eye, including glaucoma and cataracts; vision problems such as nearsightedness; and eye injuries.
· Optometrists doctor refer patients with serious eye conditions to ophthalmologists.
· Ophthalmologists use a variety of instruments, including ophthalmoscopes, which enable them to see the inner part of the eye.
· He/She can prescribe medicine, contact lenses, and eyeglasses.
· Sometimes recommend eye exercises. When necessary, perform surgery, which may involve removing a piece of glass embedded in the eye or transplanting a cornea (the transparent covering of the iris and pupil). Because the eye is so small, ophthalmologists usually operate with the help of microscopes and magnifying lenses. They must work with great care.