· Staff Nurse is answerable to Head Nurse & through him to Medical Superintendent.
· She will perform her/his duty as per notified duty Rota or as per instruction of unit in-charge and/or MS.
· Will take over from nurse relieved & ensure that all equipment, apparatus, medicine, emergency tray & supplies are complete.
· Will be responsible to bring any unusual occurrence to the notice of unit in-charge and MS.
· Will ensure that Ward orderly, Dai & sweepers perform their duties efficiently & punctually
· Assist & cooperate with other staff on duty
· Will be responsible to read & check reports prepared by relieved nurse & follow instructions about serious patients first
· Will be responsible to maintain patient’s records up to date ie TPR, Treatment & intake/output charts
· Ensure that before the beginning of morning round, the patients are clean & neat, bedding is done properly & the ward is clean & tidy.
· Will assist MO/SMOs, Specialists of the ward during rounds of the ward & note/follow instruction about the patients.
· Ensuring enough nursing care for patients ie mouth wash, sponging, back rubs, nail cutting & precautions against bed sores
· Will assist the MO/SMO, Specialists in different heath facilities available in the institution
· Will ensure that specimens for investigations are sent straight to the hospital laboratory & upon receiving attach the resulting reports to the patient’s charts
· Will be responsible to call doctor on duty using call register or telephones for emergency patients or distressed patients
· Will promote health education in the ward by talking on various topics to patients and their relatives
· Will ensure that patients are taken for examination, X-Rays, Lab. Tests, OPD & operation theatre on time by the ward orderly or Dai.
· Will carry out pre-operative & post-operative orders in time
· Will prepare & keep charts ready for newly admitted patients
· Be responsible to maintain treatment book, stock register of medicine, linen, admission & discharge register, diet register & abstract register up to date
· Prepare indents for medicines & linen regularly to avoid shortage
· Will be responsible to write reports & instruction for ward patients at the end of her duty & hand over to nurse coming on duty in proper order
· Any other duty assigned to her by unit in-charge & MS from time to time