Reports to: Sr. Project Consultant / General Manager (Tech)
This JD shall apply to any one who is assigned the duties of Project Manager irrespective of the position/appointment.
Project Manager is considered to be ‘owner of the project’ and he is responsible to lead the project team for overall management of his project site, right from pre-mobilization stage to successful completion of work including defect liability period so as to ensure that all contractual requirements and obligations are fulfilled in accordance with drawings and specifications. Successful completion of work within top quality construction standards, within budget and within schedule is hallmark of charter of duties assigned to him.
Eligibility/Academic Qualification and Experience*
- Bachelors of Engineering Civil.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Adequate knowledge of Enterprise Project Portfolio Management Software (e.g. Primavera, MS Project or similar PM tools.
- Competent in conflict and crisis management.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as Project Manager.
*If the position holder does not fulfill any of the above mentioned criteria, he will justify his position through personal abilities by exceeding performance.
- Read and understand the contract carefully to identify all potential risks and plan necessary preventive measures to mitigate those risks.
- Review the project plans and specifications and comment on the building design/s.
- Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within boundaries of company policy and contract specifications.
- Confer with supervisors and foremen to discuss such matters as work procedures, complaints and construction problems.
- Compare proposal with final contract documents after comparing established Cost Centers of company viz-a-viz bill of quantities.
- Provide successful overall critical path analysis.
- Manage project development from initiation to closure.
- Plan project delivery.
- Manage day-to-day working, utilization, implementation and technical consultants engaged on client assignments.
- Maintain and update project reporting, checkpoints and financial reporting to high standards.
- Prepare Organogram according to manpower requirements of the project and forward the same for approval of the reporting officer. Revision and approval of organogram be carried out at different stages of the project as a part of ongoing process.
- In order to set up proper establishment at site i.e. placement of competent personnel well versed with company systems / control procedure as per strategy mentioned above, ensure effective utilization of the support functions of both HR and Finance Branches of Head Office.
- Analyze situations, identify problems, recommend solutions, and evaluate outcomes.
- Ensure all project documents are safely archived following project completion.
- Monitor progress of the project on daily basis by creating and utilizing system generating reports for timely completion of the project.
- Ensure timely generation and submission of daily/monthly progress reports to the reporting officer and client (if required).
- Build and maintain project team.
- Ensure immediate recruitment of vacant positions with competent/qualified personnel with prior approval of Chief HR
- Dispute Resolution Management.
- Coordinate with required support levels and training.
- The PM is fully authorized to remove any undesirable person from his project without assigning any reason. Under such eventuality, PM will immediately dispatch him to HR Branch for dismissal/further disposal.
- Monitor sub-contractors to ensure guidelines are maintained
- Lead, coach and motivate project team members on a proactive basis.
- Supervise subordinate staff; exercise sound judgment and creativity in making decision.
Project Scope & Change Control
- Identify all variations against the BOQ which requires change of quantities and approval of new rates.
- Ensure timely approval from the client is obtained on all quantitative changes preferably the approval must come prior to execute the work.
- For all new jobs where the rates are not available in the BOQ of existing contract the project manager will prepare the rates on the client’s required pattern and submit the same with analysis to head office for approval and follow up the head office for submission to the client.
- After head office approval, the rates should be submitted to the client and follow up on regular basis in a respectable manner with the client till it is approved preferably the approval must come prior to execute the work.
Budget Planning and Cost Management
- Prepare annual budget depicting financial cost and quantity broken down into months giving full detailed requirement of material, machinery and HR. The monthly budget should be submitted for approval on 15th of every month and ensure its approval latest by 25th of each month for the following month.
- Design and prepare reports for all expenses on daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly and yearly basis for overall HR, material, machinery and other support expenditure viz-a-viz approved budget cost.
- Ensure and justify that all deployed HR on the site is in accordance with the requirement which is priory approved in the budget.
- Close monitoring (through IT generated reports) of all potential cost and time variations to the contracts.
- Scheduling possible cost savings measures and potential construction problems.
- Prepare project budget and cash flow arrangements on monthly basis and get its approval.
- Support the development of the leadership, both on-site and back in the offices.
- Lead, coach and motivate project team members on a proactive basis.
- Aware the employees towards the company’s core values.
- Newly hired individuals be trained during the course of the project to meet project requirements and individual development needs.
- Submit the requirement and propose the sub-contractor with competitive rates and terms for approval.
- Ensure that the approved sub-contractors are provided a reasonably comfortable working environment.
- Ensure that the sub-contractor’s agreed terms and conditions of the contract are carefully and sensibly persuaded in true letter and spirit.
- Ensure timely scrutiny and recommend payment of subcontractors as per SOP of Company.
- Design IT based reporting system for invoicing saleable items to the client on daily basis.
- Upon accumulation of sizeable invoice value the same should be submitted on the required pattern of the client to Head Office for approval and pursue it.
Inventory Management and Stores Demand
- Ensure all measures are taken for safety, security, pilferage, up-keeping and maintenance of all inventory and stores with physical check; design and prepare a reporting system for weekly submission.
- Monitor inventory management by officer in-charge stores for different materials and consumables and ensure zero inventories at the end of project.
- Ensure submission of stores / materials requirements well before time on manual/web based application and indicate hold ups in the procurement process (If any).
Safety and House Keeping
- Ensure safety of team members (ensuring hard hats, steel toe boots, safety harness or any other safety item as per site requirement to wear or to be worn).
- Manage and create a safe working environment by minimizing the risk and exposer to hazards and ensure implication of all actions necessary under QHSE.
- Ensure compliance of all relevant safety quality and environment management procedures and guarantee safety of employees by displaying responsible environmental attitude.
- The general ambiance of the entire project site should be possibly organized and be kept neat and clean.
- Ensure complete cordoning of the site by means of erecting relevant sentry posts at all possible breech points and placing of appropriate number of watchmen thereby providing fool proof assurance to guard all assets.
- Ensure taking appropriate measures to safeguard wastage of useable material against being dumped in mud or sand.
- Ensure proper stacking (according to the requirement of each store item) and safe storage of all the site material for the purpose of counting and to control wastage and pilferage.
- Ensure 100% security of all material and assets available at site whether consumable, fixed assets or third party items.
- Quality has been the hallmark of the company proven over the last SIX decades. The project manager should make best humanly possible efforts to maintain this legacy with no compromise on quality at any cost.
- Ensure adaptation of all modern quality control procedures available in the industry for desired quality results.
- Identify, create and propose new techniques, methodologies and tools to tackle the core issues and uplifting of the project at every stage of the execution used nationally or internationally in construction industry.
- We value the importance of the client thus the respect, comfort, confidence level and a friendly environment should be provided by the project manager to client and consultant.
- While upholding company’s pride and dignity, the project manager should maintain cordial relationship and ensure extreme satisfaction of the client and consultant.
- Above mentioned requirement is of utmost importance for any project manager.
Decision making / Problem solving
- Resolve any issue and solve problems throughout project life cycle.
- Demonstrate good decision making skills while interacting freely with the client / consultant and various departments in project executions
- Effectively listens and comprehends others, expresses ideas, both orally and in writing, provide relevant & timely information to management, co-workers, sub-ordinates & customers.
- Producing reports on each project at agreed intervals, and whenever substantive actions are required.
Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Manage a set of service deliveries, which must be achieved on time to ensure all activities in the schedule, are completed in time.
- Complete tasks with expected quality.
Key Performance Indicators
All points mentioned in the JD will be used as key performance indicators (KPI) for conducting performance evaluation with reference to KPI form attached.