WaterAid is on a mission to change normal for millions of people within a generation by getting clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene to everyone, everywhere by 2030.
In order to implement its Country Programme Strategy (CPS) and to influence and deliver as a Priority Country of WaterAid UK, WaterAid Pakistan, intends to establish a strong resourcing pipeline. For this, WaterAid Pakistan wants to build on the existing business relations and expand these to strengthen current resourcing pipeline. In this regard, a ‘Funding Plan’ along with ‘Donor Scoping’ has lately been developed. The position of Business Development Manager will establish the vision of business development of WaterAid Pakistan in line with funding plan. S/he would liaise with national and international funding agencies independently and through organisational channels to ensure building robust and sustainable business relationships; leading to generate resources for achieving WaterAid’s strategic objectives and meet expectations as a Priority Country.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and develop a business development strategy and an action plan based on the existing donor scoping and funding plan
- Establish specific targets for business development focussing on three to five key institutional and corporate donors in Pakistan
- Ensure WaterAid is well positioned within the market as a ‘go to’ agency for long term WASH programme delivery
- Grow a pipeline of funding opportunities across WaterAid Pakistan programmes from donor markets
- Support WaterAid Pakistan Senior Managers and other staff lead on donor engagement by preparing briefings, setting up meetings, accompanying and following up on key outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Institutional Fundraising and Partnership Team at WA UK and the South Asia Regional Funding Manager to further strengthen and manage key business development relationships in Pakistan
- Provide WaterAid team/ programmes with up-to-date intelligence on prioritised donors in the funding plan, their key funding partners, funding opportunities and donor terms and conditions. This should include specific information and guidance on cost recovery approaches with these donors.
- Enable effective qualification of donor funding opportunities by WaterAid staff/programmes (e.g. Bid/ No Bid process) to improve conversion/success rates
- Enable effective formation of strong consortium around specific funding opportunities prior to bid development
- Support the development of high quality bids for submission to donors.
- The incumbent will have no involvement in direct grant management, but will support Senior Management Team (SMT) with quality assurance processes,tools and capacity building for specific donors
It is a contract-based position initially for a period of one year, requiring exceptional track record and drive in business development.
Experience and Skills
Education and experience
- Masters degree in related field
- Proven ability to identify new business opportunities and create successful partnerships
- Broad knowledge of a range of bilateral and multilateral institutional donors and CSR of corporate bodies
- Experience of consortia partnership
- Demonstrated ability to devise and implement resource mobilisation strategies
- Strong networking, representational, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to effectively coordinate with the WaterAid Federation and global country programmes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Funding proposal development experience
- Knowledge of WASH and its importance as a key contributor in transforming human lives
- Knowledge of INGOs and other related stakeholders related to WASH at different levels
Our people promise
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and ulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
This is our pledge to you.