Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Date: July 24, 2020
Reports to (title): Head of Programmes
Location: Islamabad - Pakistan
Direct Reports (titles): NA
Travel: In WaterAid Pakistan interventions areas and internally when required
Clean water, decent toilets and hygiene are three essentials that help people lead dignified and healthy lives.
They should be normal for everyone, but for millions of people they are not.
We are determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene a normal part of everyday life for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
Role of position in the organisation:
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for portraying WaterAid Pakistan (WAP) and its partners work in achieving organizational strategic objectives within and outside of WaterAid world.
Reporting line: This is a regular position and will report to the Head of Programmes.
Key working relationships:
Internal: Country Director (CD), Senior Management Team (SMT) and programme staff of WaterAid Pakistan and relevant colleagues in WA South Asia Region and UK teams.
External: Partners, consultants, media fellows, sector stakeholders and other I/NGOs.
Purpose of Role
- The Communications Coordinator is responsible for portraying WaterAid Pakistan (WAP) and its partners work in achieving organizational strategic objectives within and outside of WaterAid world.
- This position is also responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing the overall communication plan for the organization.
- Increasing engagement with key audiences through effective communication about WaterAid’s Pakistan work through various tools and methods, including high quality publications.
- Building strong media relations and managing internal communications as per the organizational communication protocols.
- This position also manages organic social media and website content.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure that all external communications including publications, media, marketing materials, merchandise and online content are consistent with WaterAid’s brand guidelines and duly follow approval modalities before dissemination.
- Support the development of Radio/ TV messages for key behaviour change campaigns
- Write and/or commission content for media and communications materials, and oversee the production of annual reports, brochures, project briefs, media releases, social media and web content.
- Develop and update internal communications page on the SharePoint to keep staff well informed about the latest news and events of WAP.
- Develop and implement media strategies to obtain media coverage in a variety of outlets, particularly during key moments such as World Water Day, Global Handwashing Day and World Toilet Day.
- Manage relationships and write briefs/specifications notes for external communications suppliers such as designers, copywriters, video makers, photographers etc.
- Manage organic content for WaterAid Pakistan social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Yammer), and moderate online communities.
- Manage website content and upload content and articles to the WaterAid website on a regular basis.
- Support programme teams to ensure case studies from field are designed as per organisational protocols and all data (photos and case studies etc.) is archived in the asset bank. Manage Asset bank (Photo and case stories library) and ensure all data is updated.
- Support the senior management team in the development of presentations for the external and internal audiences.
- Ensure that WaterAid’s communications activities meet the donors and organisational requirements.
- Work collaboratively with WaterAid international colleagues to achieve communications targets and roll out global campaigns.
- Manage the communications budget including budget development, forecasting and reporting.
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor or senior management.
- Master’s degree in communications or Social Sciences
- Minimum 5 years of experience of handling/ leading communications in an I/NGO or corporate.
- Understanding and hands on experience of working on latest effective communication tools
- Basic understanding of WASH projects
Knowledge & skills
- High quality written/ verbal communication skills including exceptional report writing skills
- Proven knowledge of communications ethics and best practices
- Good understanding of development issues in Pakistan with experience of working with international development organizations
- Knowledge of development agencies in Pakistan and how they operate.
- Knowledge of political structure, culture and policy making processes in Pakistan.
- Knowledge of local/regional languages
- Gender equality and diversity awareness.
- Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust.
- WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind.
- The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously.
- All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
- We will conduct the most appropriate preemployment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunity, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality.